Russia Cruisers - Is anyone afraid of the airport?

Kellie Poodle

I'm a little upset about the bombing at the airport in Russia the other day. It made me nervous.

DH says that no matter where you go in the world there are crazy people and changing our plans because of one incident is silly.

Am I the only one?

No, you are not. I am VERY, VERY concerned about this, add it to the Moscow Subway bombing last year, and, well, my fear level is a bit high.

This is EXTREMELY SERIOUS!!! MANY people were killed and injured.

I will be traveling with my 18 year old DD. Am I putting her in harms way if we go to Russia?

I KNOW that bad things can happen ANYWHERE at ANYTIME to ANYBODY. I get all that, but, at what point do you say, "You know, maybe we should not go there".

Look at the rioting in Egypt as an example. Would I go there now, I think not, it is much to scary.

So, I am still thinking about it. Final payment is not till next month, I don't have to apply for our Visa's till next month too, so, I have time to mull it over.

My DD is like, "Let's go anyway, we can't be afraid."

But, maybe, being afraid is a healthy reaction.

I don't know........

What is...is!

If you were concerned about being caught up in such a random act perhaps you should be more concerned with getting in your car to go to the market...you are wayyyyyy more likely to experience something bad in going to the market than a random bombing somewhere.

No, you are not. I am VERY, VERY concerned about this, add it to the Moscow Subway bombing last year, and, well, my fear level is a bit high.

This is EXTREMELY SERIOUS!!! MANY people were killed and injured.

I will be traveling with my 18 year old DD. Am I putting her in harms way if we go to Russia?

I KNOW that bad things can happen ANYWHERE at ANYTIME to ANYBODY. I get all that, but, at what point do you say, "You know, maybe we should not go there".

Look at the rioting in Egypt as an example. Would I go there now, I think not, it is much to scary.

So, I am still thinking about it. Final payment is not till next month, I don't have to apply for our Visa's till next month too, so, I have time to mull it over.

My DD is like, "Let's go anyway, we can't be afraid."

But, maybe, being afraid is a healthy reaction.

I don't know........

Haha- You live in NEW YORK!!!

I could say the same thing about your home.

I had an interesting experience at this airport a few years ago (3 I think?).

First of all, I want to say this airport seems very modern and very clean. I was impressed with the airport.

I was flying Swiss Air and had the first flight of the morning. Unlike other airlines such as British Air, Swiss Air wasn't open when I got there so I stood by the ticket counter for a few hours as there are very few seats where you checkin. This Russian gentleman approached me and said "this is where Swiss Air first class line is" indicating I was in the wrong line - there was only 2 of us so it is not like there was a huge line. I responded and said "yes - I think so". He then put his bag down and said he would be right back. Well - we all know this is a no-no but I didn't say anything. About 10 minutes later, a security guard came over and asked if that was my bag and I said no and started questioning "did I know the individual, etc..." and I said "no -but he said he would be right back". 15 more minutes pass by and she stops by again and asks if he returned and I said no. 10 more minutes pass by and a group of security people show up and start taping off the area with caution tape with me in it! Eventually they let me get out of it so I wasn't in "the crime scene".

The guy eventually shows up and speaks Russian to the security guard and I have no clue what they said. The Security Guard looks at me and says "he should know better, he is Russian"..... So the security tape goes away..... I just remember them putting this caution tape all around the area with me in it!

-------

I read several reports of the airport bomb and I think it could happen anywhere. I think the firing of individuals made it look like they were "solving the problem".

I would not hesitate going into or out of this airport again. I personally thought it felt just as safe as any other airport I have been in recently. The only negative about this airport is that it is farther away then the other airport.

Russians are probably afraid of visiting Arizona (or the US) as Americans shoot their government officials here..... Just using this an example that bad things happen in our country also.

I'm a little upset about the bombing at the airport in Russia the other day. It made me nervous.

DH says that no matter where you go in the world there are crazy people and changing our plans because of one incident is silly.

Am I the only one?

This bombing will not stop us from our trip to Russia in August. This can happen in nearly any airport in the world. Is there is risk? Yes, but lightening can strike. I lived in the Middle East and faced the possibility of a terror attack. It didn't stop me from travel there.

However, I would not go to Egypt right now.

We are still planning to take our AMA cruise tour from St. Petersburg to Moscow in September. It could have happened at any airport in the World -- no one goes through a detector when they enter an airport around the World picking up friends and family. I really wish they would because now the terriorists know they can do damage and kill people in the arrival area of airline terminals.

Sheila

We are still planning to take our AMA cruise tour from St. Petersburg to Moscow in September. It could have happened at any airport in the World -- no one goes through a detector when they enter an airport around the World picking up friends and family. I really wish they would because now the terriorists know they can do damage and kill people in the arrival area of airline terminals.

Sheila

You know, I was just thinking that the other day.

I hope that the one positive thing that comes out of this horrific tragedy is security as you enter an airport.

Yes, it will add MORE time to our airport "experience", but, quite honestly, I would much rather be safe than sorry.

Better safety precautions is a good thing for EVERYONE!!!

My DD and I have decided to go through with our Russian River Cruise in May. Life does go on and we just hope/plan for a great, safe trip. :)

I took my first trip to Europe in 2003. I have returned every year since that time. I know there is a risk but I just think what is meant to happen will. I decided after having cancer in 2003 that I would live my life.If you spend your time worrying about what might happen you would be wasting all that time and some day look back with regret at all the time was wasted worrying that something might happen that never did.;).

I took my first trip to Europe in 2003. I have returned every year since that time. I know there is a risk but I just think what is meant to happen will. I decided after having cancer in 2003 that I would live my life.If you spend your time worrying about what might happen you would be wasting all that time and some day look back with regret at all the time was wasted worrying that something might happen that never did.;).

I totally agree with your view of life. Enjoy life while you can. Travel is relatively cheap compared to thirty years ago. You don't have to be rich to travel.

For Australians it is always wise to check the DFAT [Dept Foreign Affairs and Trade]

website before travelling. Presently this is their advice:

Russia overall This Advice is current for Tuesday, 01 February 2011.

High degree of caution

This advice has been reviewed and reissued. It contains new information in the Summary and under Safety and Security: Terrorism (explosion at Moscow's Domodedovo International Airport). The overall level of the advice has not changed.

Summary

•We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Russia because of the threat of terrorist activity, particularly by Chechen separatists, and the level of criminal activity. Russian authorities continue to warn of the possibility of further terrorist attacks in Moscow.

•On 24 January 2011, an explosion occurred at Moscow's Domodedovo International Airport, which killed 35 people and injured many others. The Russian authorities have described the blast as an act of terror and have increased security at transport hubs.

•On 3 October 2010, the US Government issued a Travel Alert alerting US citizens of the potential for terrorist attacks in Europe, including the potential for terrorists to attack public transportation systems and other tourist infrastructure in European countries.

•We strongly advise you not to travel to the North Caucasus, in particular the regions of Chechnya, Dagestan, Ingushetia, North Ossetia, the south-east part of Stavropol bordering Chechnya, Karbardino-Balkaria (including the Elbrus area), Abkhazia and Karachay-Cherkessia, because of the risk of military clashes and terrorist attacks.

•You should pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media for information about possible new safety or security risks.

•You should avoid demonstrations and large public gatherings as they may turn violent.

•Severe winter weather can disrupt travel in Russia. If you are delayed, you should check when your visa is due to expire and contact local authorities about a visa extension if required.

•Be a smart traveller. Before heading overseas:

◦organise comprehensive travel insurance and check what circumstances and activities are not covered by your policy

Do you have a similar site with advice issued by your government that you can check?

Also try Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree as locals + tourists offer advice there.

For Australians it is always wise to check the DFAT [Dept Foreign Affairs and Trade]

website before travelling. Presently this is their advice:

Russia overall This Advice is current for Tuesday, 01 February 2011.

High degree of caution

This advice has been reviewed and reissued. It contains new information in the Summary and under Safety and Security: Terrorism (explosion at Moscow's Domodedovo International Airport). The overall level of the advice has not changed.

Summary

•We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Russia because of the threat of terrorist activity, particularly by Chechen separatists, and the level of criminal activity. Russian authorities continue to warn of the possibility of further terrorist attacks in Moscow.

•On 24 January 2011, an explosion occurred at Moscow's Domodedovo International Airport, which killed 35 people and injured many others. The Russian authorities have described the blast as an act of terror and have increased security at transport hubs.

•On 3 October 2010, the US Government issued a Travel Alert alerting US citizens of the potential for terrorist attacks in Europe, including the potential for terrorists to attack public transportation systems and other tourist infrastructure in European countries.

•We strongly advise you not to travel to the North Caucasus, in particular the regions of Chechnya, Dagestan, Ingushetia, North Ossetia, the south-east part of Stavropol bordering Chechnya, Karbardino-Balkaria (including the Elbrus area), Abkhazia and Karachay-Cherkessia, because of the risk of military clashes and terrorist attacks.

•You should pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media for information about possible new safety or security risks.

•You should avoid demonstrations and large public gatherings as they may turn violent.

•Severe winter weather can disrupt travel in Russia. If you are delayed, you should check when your visa is due to expire and contact local authorities about a visa extension if required.

•Be a smart traveller. Before heading overseas:

◦organise comprehensive travel insurance and check what circumstances and activities are not covered by your policy

Do you have a similar site with advice issued by your government that you can check?

Also try Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree as locals + tourists offer advice there.

Good advise, but we are not going to the North Caucasus.

• 2 weeks later...

We flew from Moscow in Oct 2009.

There was more security checks getting into the airport than in the US.

Also DO NOT PACK ANY alcohol in your luggage. My husband had a mostly empty flask with about 1 shot left in the flask. They did allow him to pour it into the trash barrel. Saw many unopened bottles at the luggage checking. They opened each of our bags (and also everyone's bags) and almost unpacked the bags.

Also DO NOT BUY any liquids or gels in the duty free shops. You will NOT be allowed to bring them on board the plane. There was a little notice, about index card size) on the counter when we checked in.

Glad we went. Check out the subway stops. More like great little art shows.

Go and enjoy.

MSEm

Everyone has their own level of comfort and everyone needs to make their own decision based on their comfort levels.

As mentioned, you never know where or when anything might happen.

I was nearly at the scene of the second Bali bombing.

It was my daughters and my last day in Bali. It was late in the afternoon when we received a text announcing my other daughters pregnancy. We were tossing whether to go to Matahari (dept store) to buy some baby clothes. But I said I didn't like the restaurants there and we didn't have time to get back to a different restaurant and get to the airport on time. The restaurant outside Matahari was the one bombed. :eek::eek:

We saw the crowds on our way to the airport.

You never know when your time is up.

Live your life as you see fit, not as others tell you. It's yours to live.

Everyone has their own level of comfort and everyone needs to make their own decision based on their comfort levels.

As mentioned, you never know where or when anything might happen.

I was nearly at the scene of the second Bali bombing.

It was my daughters and my last day in Bali. It was late in the afternoon when we received a text announcing my other daughters pregnancy. We were tossing whether to go to Matahari (dept store) to buy some baby clothes. But I said I didn't like the restaurants there and we didn't have time to get back to a different restaurant and get to the airport on time. The restaurant outside Matahari was the one bombed. :eek::eek:

We saw the crowds on our way to the airport.

You never know when your time is up.

Live your life as you see fit, not as others tell you. It's yours to live.

You summed it up well. Terror like this can happen, but the percentages are very low unless you are planning to go to Pakistan, Afghanistan or Yemen.

I lived in the Middle East during the 80s, and it was always a concern, but we never had a problem. I remember going to Israel after so many bombings, but none happened during our visit. We even visited Hebron on an excursion to the Toombs of the Patriachs (sp) that was later the site of a terror attack. Interesting, since now, I would not go to Hebron. In fact, going to Bethlehem might not be a great idea.

You summed it up well. Terror like this can happen, but the percentages are very low unless you are planning to go to Pakistan, Afghanistan or Yemen.

I lived in the Middle East during the 80s, and it was always a concern, but we never had a problem. I remember going to Israel after so many bombings, but none happened during our visit. We even visited Hebron on an excursion to the Toombs of the Patriachs (sp) that was later the site of a terror attack. Interesting, since now, I would not go to Hebron. In fact, going to Bethlehem might not be a great idea.

I was in Israel in May and they were taking tourists to Bethlehem, but not Hebron.

• 2 weeks later...

This is disturbing, but I still plan to go this summer.

Islamist rebel urges 'total war' with Russia

Mar 3 07:46 AM US/Eastern

The Chechen Islamist rebel leader who is Russia's most wanted man has issued an appeal for recruits for a "total war" against the Russian state, in a new video message posted on Thursday.

"A total war is in progress, fight the enemy where ever you can," Doku Umarov said standing alongside two other militants in a snow-covered forest in a video posted on militant website hunafa.com.

As well as repeating calls for women to join the rebellion, Umarov called on Russian Muslims from outside the Caucasus like the Volga regions of Tatarstan and Bashkortostan to join the insurgency.

Umarov, whose Caucasus Emirate group aims to impose Islamic rule throughout the Northern Caucasus, has claimed responsibility for the Moscow airport attack in January that killed 37 and the 2010 metro attacks that killed 40.

This is disturbing, but I still plan to go this summer.

Islamist rebel urges 'total war' with Russia

Mar 3 07:46 AM US/Eastern

The Chechen Islamist rebel leader who is Russia's most wanted man has issued an appeal for recruits for a "total war" against the Russian state, in a new video message posted on Thursday.

"A total war is in progress, fight the enemy where ever you can," Doku Umarov said standing alongside two other militants in a snow-covered forest in a video posted on militant website hunafa.com.

As well as repeating calls for women to join the rebellion, Umarov called on Russian Muslims from outside the Caucasus like the Volga regions of Tatarstan and Bashkortostan to join the insurgency.

Umarov, whose Caucasus Emirate group aims to impose Islamic rule throughout the Northern Caucasus, has claimed responsibility for the Moscow airport attack in January that killed 37 and the 2010 metro attacks that killed 40.

I could have lived very happily without that post.:rolleyes:

We were in Turkey this past summer and flew out of Istanbul. Upon entering the airport, all luggage was x-rayed and everyone went through metal detectors including visitors. We went through 2 other checkpoints with metal detectors before boarding the plane including a second check of our carry-ons. Security was much tighter there than in the US. If they tightened security here, the ACLU would be all over the TSA. We want to be secure but too many consider security checks an invasion of privacy. I have no problem with it.

Archived