Should I try to change my aft cabin? (Radiance) AND Should I fear the shower?

I will be on Radiance in September. I have Aft cabin 1104.

I had a nice cabin mid ship very near the elevators and kept that cabin after the Radiance was canceled the first time (to go into dry dock) but after my cruise was canceled the 2nd time my TA fought for a "compensation package" for me and excitedly told me she got me the Aft Cabin. At first I declined, but she practically told me I was crazy, so I took it.

I was very excited about it for awhile - but now I am not so sure! :eek: 1. I will be in Alaska! Won't I miss the beautiful scenery if all I can see is water? 2. I have FMS and what if I (literally) can not make that walk to my cabin one night. - Some people say the walk is a nightmare, others say it is a small enough ship and it is no big deal. I just don't know ... plus, I am on the 10th floor and absolutely have to use the elevator and I have heard horror stories about that. (Is it really as bad as some people say?) :confused:

I really do not know what to do ... and there may not be any options for me anyway. Cabin selections now seem limited to say the least. I could ask what they would charge me for a JS, but not sure if that is worth it since I am traveling solo.

Next question - I keep reading about the tiny showers. There are so many comments like "sure glad we aren't that large..." Well, what if you are large? Is this a major problem?

Maybe I just need to relax and not stress so much ... I don't know why I always have to worry about stuff. :(

Any advice you guys can give me will be appreciated.

Thanks

I understand your concerns about the shower. Radiance has shower curtains...and I did not like it to touch me. So I just left the shower curtain open. I think there might have been a little bit of over-spray, but there was no flood of water as I kept the shower pointed at me. I always lower the shower head down to my level. I'm not skinny, but I did not have a problem in the shower area. However dropping the soap was a pain.

I can't help with the aft question. We have our first aft this next cruise. We are in 1100. We did have a cabin twice before that was all the way forward. It did seem like a good amount of walking to get to our cabin.

The most convenient cabin we ever had was on deck 4 which was the same deck as the dining room and ours was as close to the centrum as we could be.

I have no idea what FMS is, but would that qualify you to book one of the handicapped accessible cabins? I think those ones have bigger showers possibly. Or your junior suite idea is good...they have tubs.

Just trying to throw out ideas for you. Good luck on your decision.

Hi!

We sailed on Radiance almost 4 years ago in cabin 1604 (which is next to 1104) and will sail on her again in Alaska in June, again we have booked aft, but deck 8. Being aft allows you to see both sides of the ship not just to the back and the balconies are huge. We had 2 loungers, 2 chairs, and a table with room to spare. Needless to say, we are huge aft fans. That said, if you have concerns due to mobility concerns then I would think about moving. The walk to the elevators and stairs is somewhat longer than from most other cabins on the ship, but IMO not exceptionally so.

As to your concerns about the showers, yes they are small and Radiance has shower curtains instead of the doors on the showers, so the bathroom tends to get a little flooded at shower time. However, I wouldn't worry about the size. I am not a small person and I had plenty of room.

Do what you feel is best for you. Have a great trip.

Anne:)

I have no idea what FMS is, but would that qualify you to book one of the handicapped accessible cabins? I think those ones have bigger showers possibly. Or your junior suite idea is good...they have tubs.

Thanks for your reply. FMS is fibromyalgia (and just so people know, it is actually A LOT worse then those ridiculous drug commercials make it seem.) I use a cane (and may possibly use a walker by September) but I think it would be best to leave the accessible cabins for people in wheel chairs. (They need it more than I do.)

Anne,

Just saw your response. THANK YOU! You did put me at ease. I think I will just stay where I am. :) (Cabin selection does not look good at all!)

I will just have to really plan my day so I am not running back and forth to the room all the time. It will work out ... plus I just had a thought that they probably have an extra wheel chair on board. If it is an emergency I might be able to get a ride to my room :D

From a view perspective, the aft cabin will be the best on the ship in Alaska. You will be able to sit on your (very large) balcony in comfort and watch Hubbard Glacier for a long time as you sail out of the bay. And being able to see to both sides of the ship is awesome. You won't regret this cabin from a view perspective.

I do hope you don't find the walk too long. We don't, but we don't have mobility problems. They do have wheelchairs onboard and I'm sure they will assist you if you need it.

I understand your concerns about the shower. Radiance has shower curtains...and I did not like it to touch me. So I just left the shower curtain open. I think there might have been a little bit of over-spray, but there was no flood of water as I kept the shower pointed at me. I always lower the shower head down to my level. I'm not skinny, but I did not have a problem in the shower area. However dropping the soap was a pain.

I can't help with the aft question. We have our first aft this next cruise. We are in 1100. We did have a cabin twice before that was all the way forward. It did seem like a good amount of walking to get to our cabin.

The most convenient cabin we ever had was on deck 4 which was the same deck as the dining room and ours was as close to the centrum as we could be.

We were recently in #1100 on the Jewel Baltics cruise..and it was amazing..I would and will book that cabin for Alaska..You have made a wonderful choice..We booked #1100 a year out and if you do a search on this board you will find #1100 has a very big fan club..Enjoy !!!!

We just sailed on the Radiance last year and this was our first experience with the small shower curtain and I hated it. I was always flooding the floor and I did not like the size of the shower. I did get used to it by the end of the cruise.

we had an aft cabin on our alaska trip- it was so worth it to be able to see both side of the land- and it was way awesome to sit on the balcony to watch hubbard glacier.

i have difficult walking and i would plan my day so i didn't have to return to the cabin often. or if i wanted to sit and watch the scenery i would order room service and eat out on the balcony

Many years ago someone on this board provided a cure for the waving shower curtain. Take 3 old fashioned wooden clothes pins and clip to the bottom of the shower curtain> The weight apparently holds the curtain in place. I just leave them when I debark.

I love aft cabins! Great views and larger balcony. However it IS a long walk when you have issues. I had just torn my knee cartilege (meniscus) a week before our last cruise in September on Serenade. It was a long and painful walk to the cabin. I took it slowly and used the handrails. I really had to think twice about going back to the cabin during the day. But being able to relax on the large balcony in a lounge chair enjoying the view was worth the trek.

Suzanne

We had 1104 on radiance a few years ago for a Caribbean cruise and it was great. I think Bonnie's pic tells more why you should keep that cabin than words could ever say.

The balcony is enormous. We had a drinks with eight people out there every night and it wasn't crowded.

Beautiful pic Bonnie!!

I should point out that it is not my own photo. I found it via "Google", but being a HUGE aft balcony fan myself, I totally vote that the original poster keep their aft cabin! :D

As far as the long walk....no matter where your cabin is, you have to walk a lot on a cruise! If your cabin is midship, you have to walk to the front of the ship for the shows and to the back of the ship for your meals. If your cabin is at the front of the ship, you are close for the shows, but you have to walk all the way to the back for your meals. If your cabin is at the back of the ship, you are close for your meals, but you have to walk all the way to the front for the shows. Get my drift? ;) There is just a lot of walking no matter how you stack it up! :D

I will be on Radiance in September. I have Aft cabin 1104.

I had a nice cabin mid ship very near the elevators and kept that cabin after the Radiance was canceled the first time (to go into dry dock) but after my cruise was canceled the 2nd time my TA fought for a "compensation package" for me and excitedly told me she got me the Aft Cabin. At first I declined' date=' but she practically told me I was crazy, so I took it.

I was very excited about it for awhile - but now I am not so sure! :eek: 1. I will be in Alaska! Won't I miss the beautiful scenery if all I can see is water? 2. I have FMS and what if I (literally) can not make that walk to my cabin one night. - Some people say the walk is a nightmare, others say it is a small enough ship and it is no big deal. I just don't know ... plus, I am on the 10th floor and absolutely have to use the elevator and I have heard horror stories about that. (Is it really as bad as some people say?) :confused:

I really do not know what to do ... and there may not be any options for me anyway. Cabin selections now seem limited to say the least. I could ask what they would charge me for a JS, but not sure if that is worth it since I am traveling solo.

Next question - I keep reading about the tiny showers. There are so many comments like "sure glad we aren't that large..." Well, what if you are large? Is this a major problem?

Maybe I just need to relax and not stress so much ... I don't know why I always have to worry about stuff. :(

Any advice you guys can give me will be appreciated.

Thanks[/quote']You have a great cabin and I know there are alot of envious people wanting your cabin

My Gf is a stage 4 cancer survivor and has bone pain from the medication she takes(that means it is working) We use to do corner afts on our cruises till DX. Now we book as close to the Hump or Midship as possible. She can walk the distance to the aft but we chose not to

While the Radiance is a small ship in comparison to others it is about a football field long and the elevators are midship So you would be walking to and from your cabin about a 125 yards ea time to get to midship

Now I dont know your pain level or what your pain threshold is but anywhere you have a cabin you will have to walk a distance. Even midship

My suggestion is, if you keep this cabin, before you walk to your cabin relax and have a seat somewhere before making the walk. There are plenty of places to do that around the Centrum. Thats what my GF does when she gets tired.

Now concerning the elevators you walk with a cane. Use it! if you want to get on the elevator just trip the people running past you to get on board first....... Of course Im joking.

The elevators can get busy at times but Im sure there are enough people that will make sure you get on.

I think you need to take a deep breath and relax you will be fine. You will have 2200 other pax with you and only 100 of those might be. The other 2100 will be glad to help the nice lady.

I know I would:o

Gotta agree with going Aft for Alaska!!!

You get the view to both sides and behind you - extra scenery!!:D

If you look through my pictures from my Serenade Alaska cruise, many of them are from the back of the ship.

The view to the right

3611764339_922788762e.jpg

The view to the aft

3611771231_9be9e3fcd0.jpg

The view to the left

3612585810_c1767de6de.jpg

OMG, gorgeous photo. we are in an aft this upcoming July (booked a year in advance). RCI called us in November asking us to give it up for an upgrade to a Junior Suite (someone else wanted our aft). We turned them down. It just makes sense for Alaska, nothing can beat an aft. At least that is what we are counting on.

Is there a possiblity The Radiance will get upgraded shower (doors) while in dry dock?? That would be nice if they have all these complaints about the shower curtains. I'm use to them on the majesty. I can live with it but would love the doors.

greetings. one thing about cruiseing, you pick what you want or need and what you can afford, and if you cannot afford, you had better stay at home, or you are going to hate you cruise, and thst is the last feeling any cruiser would want.

i have the same problems as you. my solution that i loved was: mid-ship and near lift

the cabin numebers :7094 ------------- 7172 deck 7

good luck, you will need it,

regards: josefa and harold dyer

You have a great cabin and I know there are alot of envious people wanting your cabin

My Gf is a stage 4 cancer survivor and has bone pain from the medication she takes(that means it is working) We use to do corner afts on our cruises till DX. Now we book as close to the Hump or Midship as possible. She can walk the distance to the aft but we chose not to

While the Radiance is a small ship in comparison to others it is about a football field long and the elevators are midship So you would be walking to and from your cabin about a 125 yards ea time to get to midship

Now I dont know your pain level or what your pain threshold is but anywhere you have a cabin you will have to walk a distance. Even midship

My suggestion is, if you keep this cabin, before you walk to your cabin relax and have a seat somewhere before making the walk. There are plenty of places to do that around the Centrum. Thats what my GF does when she gets tired.

Now concerning the elevators you walk with a cane. Use it! if you want to get on the elevator just trip the people running past you to get on board first....... Of course Im joking.

The elevators can get busy at times but Im sure there are enough people that will make sure you get on.

I think you need to take a deep breath and relax you will be fine. You will have 2200 other pax with you and only 100 of those might be. The other 2100 will be glad to help the nice lady.

I know I would:o

You are sweet. ... I am sorry that your gf has to live in pain :( (but I guess it beats the alternative) My prayers are with her!

Archived