Carnival's answer to Oasis?

Jtd724

I think that's an unfair generalization and overly harsh. I don't cruise on RCCL because I don't want to pay for things that I have no interest in nor would ever use and I think the same holds true for many folks who post here.

I've looked at deck plans of RCCL ships, the newer ones in particular, and the design seems intent on drawing you into the ship far more than taking you outside it to the reason I cruise... the sea.

Granted, there are some who are somewhat over the top in their posts about RCCL and other lines but the same is true about football and basketball teams.

Just my $.02...

:)

Host Mach, you don't have to pay for anything if you don't want it. All the same old freebies are there, buffet, water-juice-tea, room service, dining room, pools-h20 zone. Why would you have to pay for something if you went on RCCL if you didn't want to do it?

I dont understand from a cruiser's point of view, why people are so happy that Carnival doesnt spend more money on innovations for their ships. Unless you are talking as a stockholder, not a cruiser.

Frankly a cruiseline's profits have nothing to do with my enjoyment of a cruise. Seems like a nonsequitor to me.

I am Diamond on RCL and Platinum on Carnival. I've not been unhappy with any Carnival ship, nor any NEW RCL ship[the older ships have closets for cabins.] But evidently you have never paid for a cruise on a line that went belly up just before your cruise. But many of us have had that experience. If I'm paying a company for a product many months or a year before I get to use that product, I want to know the financial condition of that company. I know the financial condition and I pay with a credit card ALWAYS, so you will never see me on here whining about how I lost my money because I didn't pay attention to what I was doing or failed to do due diligence.

Host Mach, you don't have to pay for anything if you don't want it. All the same old freebies are there, buffet, water-juice-tea, room service, dining room, pools-h20 zone. Why would you have to pay for something if you went on RCCL if you didn't want to do it?

Did RCL do away with the $3.95 room service charge after midnight?

I think that's an unfair generalization and overly harsh. I don't cruise on RCCL because I don't want to pay for things that I have no interest in nor would ever use and I think the same holds true for many folks who post here.

I've looked at deck plans of RCCL ships, the newer ones in particular, and the design seems intent on drawing you into the ship far more than taking you outside it to the reason I cruise... the sea.

Granted, there are some who are somewhat over the top in their posts about RCCL and other lines but the same is true about football and basketball teams.

Just my $.02...

:)

If you actually ever did a Voyager or Freedom class ship, I think you might find the upper decks wide open for sports and activities. Oasis is more about the ship, granted. Im talking in general. The serenity deck on Liberty OTS is huge and I loved sitting in the swing watching the water slide by.

I think if you actually experienced it for yourself with a open mind, you might find they are more alike than different.

btw Ecstasy was fabulous. I did feel sorry for them having to cope with the computers being down that first day and night, but not my problem as they say. You guys are going to have a great cruise, wish I wasnt on the Elation, 2 weeks from today .. but I know you all will have a ball.

Did RCL do away with the $3.95 room service charge after midnight?

Dont know haven't been on since 2008. If that is true that sucks but I always tip the guy 3 or 4 bucks anyway so if he gets a piece of that then thats all im payin. I just looked he gets 1.50 out of it. Before my last cruise when I was on the boards I heard the Carnival room service menu is very limited as opposed to RCCL's as well as the in room breakfast. Is that true?

I think what he was referring to is that when you add flowriders, ice skating rinks, aqua theatres, etc. to a ship somebody has to pay for them. That price gets added on to the cost to book a cabin for everybody even if you don't use them.

I am Diamond on RCL and Platinum on Carnival. I've not been unhappy with any Carnival ship, nor any NEW RCL ship[the older ships have closets for cabins.] But evidently you have never paid for a cruise on a line that went belly up just before your cruise. But many of us have had that experience. If I'm paying a company for a product many months or a year before I get to use that product, I want to know the financial condition of that company. I know the financial condition and I pay with a credit card ALWAYS, so you will never see me on here whining about how I lost my money because I didn't pay attention to what I was doing or failed to do due diligence.

True. I havent lost money on a cruise.

I was looking at it more as a Id like to see a happy medium .. Carnival spending a bit more on innovation and doing something a bit different. Carnival is known for having less space per pax, less open spaces. Since I have 700 shares of Carnival, and only 200 of RCL stock .. I think Carnival is the more profitable .. but to me this isnt such a great thing for cruisers.

People movers from front to back sound like a good idea. I think Carnival has said quite a few times they dont intend to compete with Oasis or build a ship that big. I thought at the time, never say never. People movers take up a lot of valuable space .. I cant see it. If they have extra space, make pools bigger, that would compete with RCL. Carnival does postage stamp sized pools .. thats the thing I would like to see on a Carnival ship.

I think RCL's next build will be a more midsize ship. I want to experience Oasis, but dont see that Carnival should copy anyone. Carnival seems to build the same ships over and over. They dont put money into being innovative. (sorry adding cove balconies to Dream and Magic .. its been done, Cunard has them).

The only innovation with Carnival is the spa cabins, no smoking. Maybe some other no smoking areas?? Thats all I see Carnival doing any time soon...

Well, there is a reason why Carnival has enjoyed it's success..and owns most of the major cruise lines.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Carnival ships are beautiful and innovative enough. Most don't want for-fee dining venues, carousels, dormitory rooms, ships the size of a small town in NJ, for-fee entertainment, parks with trees, giant shopping malls, sidewalk cafe's..

Most passengers simply want a nice cruise on a nice ship with good food, attractively prepared and presented, decent selection of activities, shows, etc.

A new ship is a new ship..

Carnival's answer to Oasis is putting a Billion Dollars profit in the bank while RCL struggles to pay their bills with borrowed money. Does RCL think they are a country or what?:D

As usual, Dan, you are spot-on.... Carnival also has billions in cash...and have no extraordinary debts. Most ships are paid for before the keel is laid.

I don't cruise on RCCL because I don't want to pay for things that I have no interest in nor would ever use and I think the same holds true for many folks who post here.

I hear this all the time .. but many RCL cruises are cheaper than Carnival. I think why should I pay EXTRA for Carnival? Mariner I booked for $429 pp, whereas Magic I have booked at $599 pp .. Im going to cancel Magic, and thinking .. why pay extra for Carnival if both are 7 days of cruising, as I like some thing about each.

People who never have been on RCL use this argument and miss that Carnival isnt always cheaper .. and there are some great RCL deals out of FL that are cheaper on RCL.

You said I overgeneralized ... but saying you would not book RCL because you dont want to pay for things you dont do .. why pay extra for Carnival either? Lots of things on Carnival I dont do either.

Well with Oprah saying its one of her 10 best things and the zombies that follow. I'm pretty sure Allure and Oasis will be making alot of money. Seems Oprah has more power then the president these days.

Untill Oprah also pays passengers bills racked up by all the for-fee dining and entertainment venues, her opinion doesn't mean much.....

I'm an Oprah fan...though I don't watch her a lot. I used to back in the day when she and I were a lot younger but her shows have gone way beyond me. She still draws 'em in, young and dumb....HA!!

I more admire her philanthropic efforts around the world, her generosity to many in need and for her incredible success she has attained - which she had to struggle for, overcoming more odds than anyone can imagine. Her book club encouraged so many non-readers to pick up a book and READ...which so many don't ever do once out of school.

But, her opinion on cruise ships is simply that...her opinion.

I have signatures blocked lol.

When you mention RCL on this board, hackles go up in defense. Its like a war. They hate people who cruise on both and ambivalent like me about which one does what better. I plan on doing Oasis .. and any other ship I can find time to board.

To the poster who asked, yes RCL has more pools and much bigger pools and hot tubs. Carnival has water slides.

And, RCL has more for-fee venues tha Carnival...and Carnival pockets billions in profit while RCL struggles to pay their bills.

And, Carnival's been able to maintain 105-110% occupancy year round while RCL struggles with occupancy on their floating shopping malls and many others in their fleet.

lol. wow. simply wow. Love seeing grown men and women (some seniors mind you) act so childish. Anyway have fun guys on your cruises, whichever line you love! To each his own! I just shared a carnival concept video and then people start bashing RCCL? cmon were better then that.

Dont know haven't been on since 2008. If that is true that sucks but I always tip the guy 3 or 4 bucks anyway so if he gets a piece of that then thats all im payin. I just looked he gets 1.50 out of it. Before my last cruise when I was on the boards I heard the Carnival room service menu is very limited as opposed to RCCL's as well as the in room breakfast. Is that true?

True. Carnivals in-room menus are substantial enoughm however. and is free 24/7....and delicious....

http://www.unofficialcarnivalwiki.com/wiki/Room_Service_Menu

True. Carnivals in-room menus are substantial enoughm however. and is free 24/7....and delicious....

http://www.unofficialcarnivalwiki.com/wiki/Room_Service_Menu

Do you tip the room service guy G'Ma? It is stupid IMO as well sicne I always tip but from the forums seems alot dont and the guy gets stiffed. He gets 1.50 out of and the rest to RCCL coffers. so to me not a biggie but ot others I can see how it would if they dont like tipping.

I dont understand from a cruiser's point of view, why people are so happy that Carnival doesnt spend more money on innovations for their ships. Unless you are talking as a stockholder, not a cruiser.

Frankly a cruiseline's profits have nothing to do with my enjoyment of a cruise. Seems like a nonsequitor to me.

I agree with this 100%. From a cruiser's point of view, I like seeing Royal Caribbean out there leading in innovation and pushing other cruise lines to add more. As a customer, the issue I face is if it is worth it pay a premium to do a cruise on the Allure or Oasis. I think it is and that will probably be our next Caribbean cruise. We are on the Carnival Magic this summer and that relates to ports, great price, new kid friendly ship. After that, it will be British Isles for just my wife and I on Princess. The next one will be a Caribbean cruise. I just can't make a case for doing that one on Carnival. In the Caribbean market, I feel that they are just competing on price and RCI has nicer ships.

IMO the future is innovation and if Carnival backs away they will lose out. It is a younger generation cruising these days and they want more bells and whistles....This coming from a 33 year old that thinks the metro mover is great.

IMO the future is innovation and if Carnival backs away they will lose out. It is a younger generation cruising these days and they want more bells and whistles....This coming from a 33 year old that thinks the metro mover is great.

Baby Boomers still rule and are spending the younger generation's inheritance as fast as we can. ;)

As long as you can pay for your bells and whistles, enjoy!

Why would we want to pay more to cruise on RCCL and have a smaller cabin? All cabins are small on all ships, but why would I, in my right mind spend more money for a RCCL cabin when I can get a larger one on carnival much cheaper? I like everything about Carnival better... food, entertainment, ports, crew... and yes, I HAVE sailed on RCCL, twice.... Never again!

I love Carnival. I once said I will never cruise RCI. But you know how those things come back to bit you in the butt. Well it did me.

Planning our 2012 Family Cruise and was shocked 7 of us could cruise Mariner OTS (7 days) instead of the Miracle (8 days) for over $2,600 cheaper. I know we lose a day but one day is not worth that much money to my DH and I since we are paying the bill. We also get $100 OBC and a bottle of wine per cabin.

Does this mean we will not return to Carnival? Of course not. My dollars will dictate? where we cruise and usually it will be Carnival. What does it hurt to stray once in a while. It makes you see what you are missing.

IMHO guys.

Firefly you will be joining us on the MOTS cruise I see.

Why would we want to pay more to cruise on RCCL and have a smaller cabin? All cabins are small on all ships, but why would I, in my right mind spend more money for a RCCL cabin when I can get a larger one on carnival much cheaper? I like everything about Carnival better... food, entertainment, ports, crew... and yes, I HAVE sailed on RCCL, twice.... Never again!

Good for you! :) Read the whole thread, I'm not so sure you're always paying less on your Carnival cruise, at least from what some of your fellow cruisers are posting. Enjoy your cruise! You're gonna have a blast I'm sure. I always do. I just noticed Carnival added a Flowrider in Turks & Caicos, how funny!!! 30 bucks too!

Archived