formal night dress

Much has been written about the minimum needed to comply with formal night dress code..but if a lady wears a long gown or formal will she feel out of place and over dressed? I am thinking of a Caribbean cruise.,,I know the long cruises are more dressy.

Marcia

As previously mentioned, you go with what you are comfortable with. The idea of dressing up has changes in the past 10 years.

I find that a black dress pants or skirt with an fancy blouse or top, nice dress up shoes and accessories always looks good on the ladies.

I find it very enjoyable and pleasurable to see the tuxedos and elegant gowns that people wear. But since I do not own gowns or do I see the

need buy one, I would rather wear something that I can wear on many occasions during the year. Wedding, dinner parties, theatre, I guess I am too practical.

So Marcia wear what you please, and I am certain you will look as elegant as all the other passengers.

We've been cruising on HAL for many years..I've given up on the Fancy dresses & now wear a chiffon skirt &/or chiffon palazzo pants with fancy tops & bling jewelry..Only exception was when we renewed our Vows on board, then I wore a fancy Ankle length dress..

DH always wore his TUX up until our last cruise in Nov...On our Bermuda cruise in Aug, there were only two or three men in a TUX in the main DR...That's when DH decided he no longer wants to wear it..Even though I think he looks so handsome in his TUX, we bought him a new dark suit for our last cruise...He was more comfortable in it..

Enjoy your Cruise..

Cheers...:)Betty

I definitely don't feel uncomfortable on HAL in a long gown in the Caribbean.

Alaska is notoriously even more casual than the Caribbean, but on my cruise the other women at our large table all wore long gowns every formal night. Also, all the gentlemen were wearing tuxes (except one switched to a suit for the last formal night).

After years of posting on dress code threads, I think people generally notice other people dress as they are dressed on formal night.

And, it seems no matter what you wear, someone will be wearing something similar.

Wear what you want, and have fun!

..but if a lady wears a long gown or formal will she feel out of place and over dressed?

No one can predict how she will feel, but she will look in place and well-dressed. Although not impossible, it is difficult to be overdressed on a formal night.

Others may be underdressed, that's all.

I am the origional poster..Thanks so much for your opinions. I was asking because my grandaughter went to the ROTC Ball this weekend and it required a long formal gown. I was hoping she could use it on the cruise. It seems a shame for it to just hang in the closet while she grows out of it.

Marcia

We were very impressed with the level of appropriate dress on both Formal Nights on the Eurodam three weeks ago. I wore a dark suit and my wife wore two different evening-style dresses. There were many with tuxs and gowns too.

As has been often discussed here, there were a few considerably under-dressed, but it certainly didn't detract from our enjoyment of the evenings!

I am the origional poster..Thanks so much for your opinions. I was asking because my grandaughter went to the ROTC Ball this weekend and it required a long formal gown. I was hoping she could use it on the cruise. It seems a shame for it to just hang in the closet while she grows out of it.

Marcia

Ah, I remember our ROTC formals back in high school MANY years ago (alas). She absolutely can wear her gown. She will be the toast of formal night.:):)

Archived