Venice & then Italian Food

sportsmum

I have spent more time on the computer looking for a room in Venice than we will be in the room in Venice!! I can tell you, I am getting no sympathy from any of my friends either! It will be one night pre cruise.

So many suggestions on the boards but can you help me narrow it down, please?

I have read that St Marks Square is the area we want to be in. We would love a 4-5 star hotel that has a view of the canal or, fingers crossed, a balcony overlooking it. I think what is confusing me is the 'Grand Canal' and "side canals'. What do I want!??:o Or does it matter?

We have 2 teens but we will get a separate room for them. Also, where to eat that is not too formal?

Lastly, we are in Venice, Naples, Rome, and Florence. What are the foods that are regional in those areas? I have heard one area is heavy into cream sauces and others are more fresh vegetables. Is pizza wonderful everywhere or is there a port where I should search it out?

Thanks for anything you can suggest!

If you've already been researching, then you will know that a room near St Marks with a balcony overlooking the Grand Canal (or for that matter a side canal) is going to cost a lot. I had to revise my estimate of how much I was willing to spend by about a hundred euros to find something that ticked those boxes.

Although I ended up cancelling that cruise, I was booked to stay in Locanda Orseolo, which is an inn that gets high marks from everyone. It's not right on the Grand Canal (which I decided wasn't really necessary) but it is close to St Marks and on a side canal. They also apparently have a wonderful staff, terrific breakfast, and their own water taxi entry.

On the other hand, if you are only going to be in Venice for one night pre-cruise, perhaps you want to consider staying at Piazzale Roma, which is convenient from a transportation standpoint (easy to get to from the airport, easy to get to the ship, and easy to catch a vaporetto and head for St Marks). However, that's a whole 'nother topic and if you decide you might be interested, there are a lot of previous posts on this board with recommendations for hotels in this area.

For pizza -- Naples, hands down. That's where it was (supposedly) invented. Go to a good brick-oven pizzeria. Da Michele is one of the best.

Food definitely differs by region in Italy. As you head farther south it is more about olive oil and tomato sauce. Farther north it is more about butter and cream sauce. Near the sea you will always find a lot of seafood featured. However, this is a HUGE generality and you'll find varieties of Italian cuisine in any of the major cities.

There are lots of wonderful parts of Venice and it's so compact that it's easy to get around. If you have your heart set on the San Marco area, my family really likes the Bauer Hotel (http://www.bauervenezia.com/).

You'll find lots of informal places to eat, actually far more than "formal", so don't worry about that. I've used the book "Chow Venice" for years to locate new places to try.

As for regional foods, Venice is probably the most different since over the years the cuisine has been impacted by their neighbors (and occasional invaders) in Austria, Germany, and France.

In Florence, try beef.

In Naples, pizza! It's where it was invented. Also seafood.

Rome is a cosmopolitan city with a huge range of cuisines. If you are there in the spring, try artichokes Romano, there's nothing better on earth!

I have read that St Marks Square is the area we want to be in. We would love a 4-5 star hotel that has a view of the canal or, fingers crossed, a balcony overlooking it. I think what is confusing me is the 'Grand Canal' and "side canals'. What do I want!?? Or does it matter? Also, where to eat that is not too formal? Lastly, we are in Venice, Naples, Rome, and Florence. What are the foods that are regional in those areas? I have heard one area is heavy into cream sauces and others are more fresh vegetables. Is pizza wonderful everywhere or is there a port where I should search it out?

You have been given lots of good suggestions from Cynthia and others. For Venice, I would NOT spend the big bucks for a balcony on the Grand Canal. Sound nice. BUT . . . here's the secret. The glories and wonders of Venice are walking around, seeing the various sights, people, history, architecture, etc. You probably won't spend that much time in your hotel room. A couple glances out the balcony is nice, but there are many others places to watch the passing folks, dine outside, etc.

Below is an example of a nice place where we dined outside with a wonderful view of the canal and boats passing. On the Grand Canal, that's the big, super wide one. Many other canals are much smaller, maybe twenty feet wide. Below are some of my pictures to give you an idea on a dining options, canal sizes/looks, etc.

It's hard to have a bad meal in most parts of Italy!! The secret is to do some asking where you are staying and/or of others you meet there for their local suggestions. Then apply the eyeball test! If it looks touristy and the people sitting there (or the staff) are bored and uninterested, then that place probably should be avoided. If it looks like there are locals there and/or they are enjoying it, then it will probably be very good. Or maybe even better!

Check out this posting on Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226&highlight=venice

Venice Tourism Office:

http://www.turismovenezia.it/venezia/eng/default.asp?lingua=en

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 30,360 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Along a canal, this is Da Raffaelle where we had an outdoor table right next to the waterway. Wonderful food and spectacular setting. It is located at Ponte delle Ostreghe 2347. It is west of San Marco Square and south of La Fenice Opera House.:

VeniceCanalDiningRaffae.jpg

Along the Grand Canal in Venice, you see a variety of watercraft, building and architecture style.:

VeniceAlongGrandCanal.jpg

The Rialto Bridge is the oldest of four bridges across the Grand Canal in Venice. It was built 1588-91 and has shops on the sides of its structure.:

VeniceRialtoBrGondola.jpg

At water level, this shows a typical smaller canal area with a gondola and various building styles in the heart of Venice.:

VeniceGandolaWaterLevelView.jpg

The Bridge of Sighs connects the Palazzo Ducale or Doge’s Palace with the prison. The name comes from the “sighs” prisoners made after a trial and seeing the last visions of light before being lead off to their cells.:

VeniceBridgeSighsVerticle.jpg

Here are many boats docked along the Riva Degli Schiavoni that runs east of the Doge's Palace. This might be an area to stay near or have a hotel overlooking. :

VeniceShipsDockingWaterfront.jpg

My strong opinion would be to stay AWAY from hotel near San Marco square for a first time one night stay!!

It is somewhere you must see but it is also tourist central!! Any hotel on a canal will be picturesque and gorgeous!! Locanda Orseolo gets fab reviews but is out of my budget so I have never stayed there.

I have stayed at Ca Angeli which has family rooms on the Grand Canal. I have also stayed at Al Ponte Mocenigo.

Both are easy to reach with NO bridges to cross!

Although Venice is in northern Italy it is NOT known for cream sauces. Since it is surrounded by water fish/seafood are important to the cuisine and not meat.

There is a liver dish that is traditional too- fegato veneziano

The farther south you get(like to Naples) the better the pizza.

In restaurants you will not get "sides" with main dishes. You order them separately. Also you will not get pasta as a side dish along with your meal.You need to order that by itself. You can have it as a separate course which can be shared or as your main meal.

Thanks all!!

I had looked previously at the Bauer and it's on my list. I have looked at the Locanda Orseolo just now and read the reviews on Nozio- I think that's at the top now!! Thank you!

Terry- I had looked at your pictures (last week) and written down the name of the restaurant you posted here. I your pictures/thread book marked for more info later.

I believe you are all correct and I thank you, the balcony will not be all that important. I think just being able to open a window will suffice! Also, the food help. I love food........:D

Also, you might want to know that the star rating is different in Europe than in the US. There, you get a 3-star if you serve food like breakfast, A complete restaurant on the premises gets you a 4-star. It has nothing to do with the quality of the hotel.

I stayed at the Locanda Orseolo the first time I stayed in Venice, it is a really great place. Service coudn't be better. They made great restaurant recommendations. They even gave us ideas of out of the way places to see. It is near San Marco, but out of the way of foot traffic.

We had a window over the canal and would look out at different times during the days we were there. In the morning you see the boats coming to delivery food.

Good luck finding a hotel. You will enjoy Venice.

Cathy

Also, you might want to know that the star rating is different in Europe than in the US. There, you get a 3-star if you serve food like breakfast, A complete restaurant on the premises gets you a 4-star. It has nothing to do with the quality of the hotel.

This is not completely true. When saying the hardware of the hotel is important under the European hotelstar system, yes, that is true. Service is something that is very hard to objectively measure. Breakfast has nothing to do with how many stars you have, nor does a restaurant. It is the other way round: if you do not have a breakfast room or restaurant, in most countries you cannot have 5 stars. In most European countries, you cannot even have any star at all if you do not offer some kind of basic breakfast (note: does not have to be included in the price).

As a hotelier in Germany, I have to tick off a 265 point list to even get considered for stars, that is before the evaluation board will come and visit the premises. In most countries, there is a list with mandatory criteria and a point system. You have to comply with both lists, and they will actually check if everything is in place. Since last year, a number of European hotel star rating systems have joined together: the stars are now awarded along the same criteria in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, The Netherlands, Czech Republic, Hungary, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Sweden, with many other countries to follow soon. As an example I have included a link to their site (hotelstars union.eu), where you can find the mandatory items list. You can only have 5 stars if you have a concierge, a bellboy, turn down service, shoe polish service, 24 hour room service. These are all service related items. The more stars, the more hours a day you will find a receptionist at the desk, the more languages that person will speak, and the large the average room will be and the more toiletries you will find in its bathroom. Is a one star hotel bad? No, absolutely not. They just don't have the roomservice, the pay tv, the ice machine, the shoe shine kit, etc. Do you need all that? That is entirely up to you.

There is an interesting article from an american perspective here: http://goeurope.about.com/cs/hotels/a/hotel_stars.htm. The essential bit is this:

"Just remember--the ratings on the outside of the building are based on an objective facilities and services provided assessment and are not in any way related to ambiance, charm or other subjective criteria. Think government ratings. Guido, a government pencil pusher for his whole life, goes into a hotel with a checklist. Is there a restaurant? Yes or No. Is there a toilet and shower/bath in every room? Yes or No. In the end there's gonna be a count of all the yesses that will intimately bestow the hotel with some number of government stars.

Don't expect a qualitative review. Guido is about as likely to rate the ambiance or romantic qualities of the room as I am to sing Don Giovanni at the Milan Opera house dressed in a garter belt and silk stockings. I can tell you for sure he's not going to write, "And the wainscoting blends beautifully with the flocked wallpaper in the bathroom, enhancing the overall impression of the room without calling attention to itself. It is an ideal space in which to read or contemplate life while the flush of early morning is upon you. 5 stars indeed!"

No, for charm, views, the feel of the place or the friendliness of the staff you'll have to get your ratings elsewhere."

Thanks all!! Terry- I had looked at your pictures (last week) and written down the name of the restaurant you posted here. I your pictures/thread book marked for more info later. I believe you are all correct and I thank you, the balcony will not be all that important. I think just being able to open a window will suffice! Also, the food help. I love food.

THANKS for the added info and comments on the Venice visuals. Lots to love in this great city.

Here are some of my added notes and ideas from a few years back. Dining places do come and go. Lots of options to consider here. BUT, watch for the places that are too tourist focused.

VENICE DINING NOTES:

Suggested and Highly Recommended by us from May of 1999:

Taverna La Fenice, Campiello de la Fenice 1938; next to fire-damaged, but re-opened Opera House, wonderful food; if nice, can dine outside

Restoranti da Raffaele, Calle larga XXII Marzo 2347, phone: 041/523-2317, right along side of canal, wonderful food and great setting; if nice, hopefully can dine outside.

Suggested and Well-Rated by others:

Al Covo *, expensive, three stars from Access, 14-Gault

Flaschetteria Toscana, Canareggio, to north near Bridge, three stars from Access, 14 Gault; classics: squid w/polenta, SEAFOOD

Corta Sconta * Just ask where the Fermata Vaporino (Arsenale) is. Three stars by Access, 15-Gault

Osteria da Fiore. 2202 Calle del Scaleter, San Polo, 39-41-528-6396*(choc. souffle!), high marks from Knoff, 14-Gault, star from Fodors

Antica Martini three stars by Access, next to Fenice, 15-Gault

Osteria Da Alberto, three stars by Access

Venice’s Ristorante Ai Due Vescovi, just north of Piazza San Marco (Calle Fiubera, Tel. 041-5236990). Owned by a delightful young couple who couldn’t have been more gracious. Nino does the cooking and Ruxandra runs the dining rooms. She’s from Romania and speaks flawless English. Don’t miss Nino’s rolled eggplant stuffed with tiny pasta, whether as an antipasto or first course.

Gelato: Gelateria Causin, east end of Campo Santa Margherita

Gelati Nico, Zattere (very good gelato)

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 30,425 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks again, Terry- copied, pasted and ready to print!

Cathy and UKBayern- thank you for the confirmation on the hotel, I have booked it! Also, the information on the rating- most interesting. I knew that Europe rated differently and this really educated me.

My appreciation to you all is endless!

Archived