LA to Hawaii: Too many sea days?

Deb in Markham

Thanks to all of you for your input--I really appreciate it.

Now we have to search for a TA to book with.

Do you recommend booking a cabin straightaway or just booking a guarantee in a category? We want a mini-suite with an interior across the hall. My guess, is since we want to be near each other, we'd be best to book the cabin. Thoughts?

Thanks again. These boards are a virtual treasure trove of information--and entertainment!

Can't get enough of those sea days...I've done the Hawaii trip and loved the 4 days each way. I've done a transatlantic with 6 days coming back across, and I'm signed up for that 28-day, 18 sea-day R/T that was mentioned earlier, lol.

If you want your cabins all together, best to book specific cabins and then mark your bookings "no upgrade" so no one gets moved.

I've started putting up comments and photos on a thread of our Holiday Aloha 2 cruise (well, that's what I call it). Also my review (which is more of a summary) is on the front page of Cruise Critic in the member review section.

The best way to enjoy the sea days is to stay busy. Check the Patter daily and see what is happening. The cultural events are such a good introduction to the Islands. Sign up for lei making or ukelele lessons. I signed up for the lei making and I badgered my DH to join me. It turned out he was not the only male there. He loved it and we wore our leis to dinner and felt very Hawaiian;). If none of this interests you, remember to bring some books. Of course, there is always bingo!!!:eek:

We went in February to see the whales in Maui and it was pretty cold. I hope you choose a warmer time of year which most likely will be more crowded with families. Your son will probably make some new friends in the teen area. It would have been nicer if we could have laid out by the pool but it was too cold. Remember if you choose winter, there will be more older folks due to school being in session.

I hoe this helps.

I tried two times to sign up for the lei making classes and couldnt as they were sold out---so be sure and sign up early

I just returned from a carnival spirit from vancover to hawaii & I was really worried about the sea days since I do not being bored. Surprising I just planned a few things to do, they do more crafts on these long sea days & I took advantage of them & had no problems.

Anthea:)

Hi,

My mom turns 75 this fall (October 5th) and has been saving to take my sister and her husband as well as my family (husband and 15-year-old son) on a Hawaiian cruise. (I know--how lucky can you get!!? Thanks mom!!!)

From reading these boards, it sounds like the Golden is the way to go.

The one thing I'm "concerned" :confused: about are the four sea days both there and back. On the one hand they sound like heaven, on the other hand I wonder!

We've cruised twice before (7-day Caribbean cruises on Disney) and really enjoyed the sea days. In fact, the sea days were some of our favourite days!

I'd love to hear what you think or have to say.

Thanks!!!

The post reminded me that my DS and her DH did the NCL cruise and then added 4 days on land after. Best of both worlds. If one poster's son only has one week off from school, NCL or a land trip would be best. It's hard for a 15 year old to miss school.

I'm new to the board. What does DS and DH mean?:confused:

NCl is the only cruise line that offers Hawaii cruise and I would recommend. It is a US ship and a lot of fun, plus the free style cruising works for this venue. Forget the shore excursions and rent a car, Hawaiian air offers great prices from LA

Just curious. Have you been on the NCL US ship in HI? I have..it was certainly different.

NCl is the only cruise line that offers Hawaii cruise and I would recommend. It is a US ship and a lot of fun, plus the free style cruising works for this venue. Forget the shore excursions and rent a car, Hawaiian air offers great prices from LA

What's the NCL cruise like?

To be honest, we have to fly to LA from the east coast. Getting on another plane just doesn't do it for me. I have to admit, I like the sea days because they force you to relax. What else are you gonna do??! ;) If we flew to HI, not only would it be another flight in a very uncomfortable seat with no legroom, but it would also mean visiting port after port with no real down time. I'm really looking forward to the down time--Hawaii will be a nice bonus!

To be honest, we have to fly to LA from the east coast. Getting on another plane just doesn't do it for me. I have to admit, I like the sea days because they force you to relax. What else are you gonna do??! ;) If we flew to HI, not only would it be another flight in a very uncomfortable seat with no legroom, but it would also mean visiting port after port with no real down time. I'm really looking forward to the down time--Hawaii will be a nice bonus!

And that's exactly what the Princess cruises offer. Four relaxing sea days, followed by four hectic port days, then four more sea days to recover ;-)

!

Loved, loved, loved that cruise. Perfect itinerary to see the islands. Both DH and I would do that one again but wouldn't do the princess itinerary because of the time at sea. Only problem with NCL is you have to downgrade your dining expectations. However, the buffet was great, some of the best burgers I've had

Many of us would disagree that the only way to cruise Hawaii is to go on the Pride ship. You may get more time in Hawaii, but you're also missing out on a real cruising experience, IMO. Basically the ship is just getting you from one port to another. To me, if I want to spend quality time in the islands, I would rather just spend some days on one island and then ferry or fly to another island. Repeat as desired. That's what I did on my first two times in Hawaii.

But for a true cruising experience, I want more than just getting back on board at night and going to sleep. The RT from LA gives me that experience.

So, I guess different strokes for different folks, but to me, I would rather go on Princess than NCL.

But for a true cruising experience' date=' I want more than just getting back on board at night and going to sleep. The RT from LA gives me that experience.

So, I guess different strokes for different folks, but to me, I would rather go on Princess than NCL.[/quote']

Ditto! Loved the sea days, loved the Hawaiian atmosphere and activities... All and all, it is a great cruise! I have no first hand knowledge of NCL, but I have heard some things that will definitely keep me from doing Hawaii on NCL. The Golden Princess is wonderful and the crew is fantastic!

For my hubby and I we felt that it was too many days at sea. We did opt for the NCL cruise, flying in and cruising the islands for the week. The intinerary was great, NCL was horrible and would never cruise them again. We had no hot water for 3 days. The room was dirty when we first came in, the ship was not kept up, and the food was horrible. We love Princess and will stay with Princess. Liz

We know 3 separate couples who have done the NCL cruise and said the same thing. They said that day help came onboard every day, that there were unbelievable waits for dining, and the food was not good and the ship not clean. They also said that the all American crew was lacking. We have not done it, and won't, based upon their recommendations.

We know 3 separate couples who have done the NCL cruise and said the same thing. They said that day help came onboard every day, that there were unbelievable waits for dining, and the food was not good and the ship not clean. They also said that the all American crew was lacking. We have not done it, and won't, based upon their recommendations.

I think it depends on when they did it. They used to be a train wreck. I've heard they've come a long way since then. The food was definitely not good and if you start comparing them to Princess, they're going to lose, but to see the Islands, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. We had a blast on that cruise. I think we paid $1,100 pp for an aft balcony. My parents paid $1,000 for an inside and that included air.

I think it depends on when they did it. They used to be a train wreck. I've heard they've come a long way since then. The food was definitely not good and if you start comparing them to Princess, they're going to lose, but to see the Islands, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. We had a blast on that cruise. I think we paid $1,100 pp for an aft balcony. My parents paid $1,000 for an inside and that included air.

We've paid around $1200 each for an nice mid-ship OV cabin on our upcoming 14 night Golden Pr. Hawaii cruise which included return air flights from Toronto to LA so bargains can be had if you look for them. I am fairly certain that your aft balcony at that price didn't include air and that included in the price was for your parent's inside only. I know that if we had the chance at being in an aft balcony for an Hawaiian cruise, even if it was seven night, at $100 more each we wouldn't be in an inside. A regular balcony for our cruise that sails in just over a week was about 7X more than that differences.

We've also have had several friends who have cruise NCL within the last couple of years and won't be making that mistake again. Neither will we. It's nice to be able to benefit from others experiences.

We really enjoy our sea days when on a good ship so that is why five out of the eight cruises we've done or booked as is currently the case for Golden, in the last two years have been repositioning or itineraries traveling long distances thus have had many of these. In fact I'm just making final arrangement for a 14 night southern caribbean cruise with five sea days.

Archived