Answers for those excited about Ketchikan

alaskandude

2007 is here and the cruise ship schedule is out. Look like this new promenade for you might get dome before you arrive. Back online now and here if I can help you with your cruise to Ketchikan. Alaska's first city.:D

Hi Alaskadude!

We are coming back in May. We were there in 2004 and just LOVED it! In fact, I told my husband that I would like to retire in Ketchikan.:p

We are doing the Misty Fjords with Michelle at Island Wings. No other shore excursions planned. Any cool things to do within walking distance of the ship??? What is the new promenade? Appreciate the help!!!:rolleyes:

We will be in kethikan in June (our second time). The first time we went fishing and had a fabulous time (lots of salmon brought back). We are now thinking of doing the adventure kart expedition. What are your thoughts on this tour. Is there a "must see must do" tour in ketchikan??

TIA

We will be in kethikan in June (our second time). The first time we went fishing and had a fabulous time (lots of salmon brought back). We are now thinking of doing the adventure kart expedition. What are your thoughts on this tour. Is there a "must see must do" tour in ketchikan??

TIA

We did the Adventure Kart Expedition when we were there the last time. We've been on 12 cruises and it was one of the best we've done. But I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. We got dirty (I mean REALLY dirty) from all the dust (it was VERY DRY that year), but had an absolute BLAST!! I noticed in the pictures that they have new carts. They look bigger than the ones we had. We were on the 2nd trip of the season in 2004, and it was a new tour. So they were still working the bugs out of it, but it was still well worth the money! I would highly recommend it for anyone who has a sense of adventure and is willing to get dirty!

:eek: Gator mom- On the north end of the cruisre line docks we are building a dock extension and a promenade. These cruise lines are always getting bigger and they need more space to park. Normally our docks could handle 2 large ships and one smaller one such as Crystal or HAL. Other ships would have to tender. It is suppose to be nice and will help with downtown business that never got traffic from cruise guests. Probly going to replaced by all jewelery stores but...

The snorkeling tour has got to be fun. They put you in suits so you should stay comfortable. And even if you are not it is still probly worth it to check out the water.

Tapia- As far as I know the 4th will have a parade at 10am and psrt of the dock will be local booths selling food and stuff to raise money for charities. Ask th e captain of your boat to stay till after the fireworks.:D

Love to Cook- We could use the population. Come and retire here and bring some down south weather with you. I would walk towards creek street and then to the museum if you had some time in town. Totems, history. A lot of cool stuff. Fish runniing up the stream, eagles in the Harbor, a cold Alaskan beer at the pub.

Just in case you wanted to know the weather is cold, windy, and rainy up here.

Hi AlaskanDude,

We are cruising from Seattle to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and back to Victoria and Seattle, mid September this year.

We live a LONG way from Alaska and after reading a number of the threads I am starting to think that what I am envisaging is way off the mark. I am picturing standing on the cabin balcony as we cruise past a white wonderland of picture postcard scenery.

Umm, should that be revised :confused: .

Hey Alaskandude,

We are a young active couple on our first cruise. We have all our excursions planned except for when we get to Ketchican. We have about 5 1/2 hours in port and have decided between a zipline adventure or a Kayak Adventure. What do you think? We know we have to spend some time with all the training, teaching and saftey stuff, but we don't want to learn safety stuff for 2 hours and only participate in the adveture for 1 hour. Does that make sense? Love to hear what you think.

Michelle

We are considering an excursion entitled "Back Country Jet Boat" which apparently starts at Salmon Falls Lodge after a scenic ride from Ketchikan.

You then board a "high speed streamlined jet boat" which goes in the "waterways of Clover Pass and Naha Bay in Ketchikan's wilderness backcountry to a quaint waterfront ghost town that was once Alaska's first port of entry. Stops will be made along the cruise to view active eagle nests and any wildlife that may be sighted. You will pass by an ancient Indian burial island and hear interesting stories of Southeast Alaska history. As you travel through this seafood-rich habitat, shrimp caught in the area will be passed though the cabin for a close-up look.

Before returning to Ketchikan, enjoy a light refreshment and spectacular views in the resort's large log dining room. View the cascading waterfall and the largest private collection of Native Totem Poles in Southeast Alaska located on the beautiful grounds of Salmon Falls Resort."

It sounds great but if you're familiar with this area, does this sound like something worthwhile? :confused: How long of a drive is it from Ketchikan to Salmon Falls Resort? Thanks for your help!

livewell- If you love total pristine, nature filled country where there are plenty of places that barely ever get seen you will love Alaska. Especially the SE Panhandle. If you are not ready to move here after your cruise..

mattswife- I would say go for the Kayaking. Even though I have never been on the zipline tour in town I have talked to friends who have. They did say they had a great time but it is hard for me to say that you will have a better experience in our town with that tour. You and your husband in a Kayak in our waters, where eagles will be flying over your head and whale viewing a good possibility. I just think the Kayak tour is more Alaskan.

gambler- Good stream fishing is about an hour by boat. The creeks in town if they are open do not have much action. brunlover mjet boat ride goes to a great fishing stream called Naha. Just not sure they would drop you out there to fish. Best fishing in SE is usually ion a boat.

brunolvr- It is about a 40 minute drive out to Salmon falls. I spent a good part of my childhood out in Naha. Good fishing that is only a 30 minute boat ride from town. Might be faster in those boats out there. I would say go for it. IF you want a tour of town by bus, a boat ride on our water, and hopefully a good tour of the area. You have great chances to see eagles and maybe whales. The town out by Naha is called Loring. Use to be a place popular in the past for its fishing and fish traps.

Hubby and I will be on the Golden Princess in July. I have booked a flightseeing tour with Island Wings, but DH is not into the small planes, and I think he would much rather do a fishing excursion. We are only docked from 6 Am til 12:30 PM, so he has limited time - anyone have any recommendations for him?

Thanks!

Alaskan Dude,

My DH grew up on the Gulf Coast. Now we live where there is NO water. He misses fishing. We are going to Juneau, Sitka, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Our cruise date is July 25 to Aug. 1. Where would be the best port to fish? What kind of fish? Best tour group? Thanks!

Archived