Answers for those excited about Ketchikan

alaskandude

alaskanDude,

My wife and I (both 40 years old) had decided on the Kart excursion, but reading you and another post made the misty fjords seem like a "can't miss". Would you say that is true? If so, would you rec the tour that takes a plane both ways (2 hour tour for $230) or a catamaran up and plane back (4.5 hours $300)? The 2-way plane ride sounds like you see more but that may just be the description. Seem like you would see most of the same but more details on the catamaran.

Finally, book with Princess Cruis line or someone else?

Thanks a lot. I have enjoyed your answers even on subjects I'm not doing.

Skip the Kart tour and go for the Misty tour. Do a combo tour. Fly one way and take the boat back. The tour with Goldbelt is probably more personable.

In my most humble opinion seeing from the air and then from water level on a boat gives you two very different prespectives. I know some people that will take the boat trip both ways. Cost is less. But it sure made for a full day....

scomack- I agree with bearbait. I would go on the misty tour over the kart tour. Misty fjords is a national park and once you see it you will be amazed. Go for the combo if you have never flown in a floatplane. You get the best of both. With the combo you get to see things not viewable from the water and vice versa. On the boat ride you can stop by New Eddystone and any wildlfe on the beach or swimming around. Once a year I take my wife out on the boat tour with Allen Marine. Great time but never went with Goldbelt so bearbait may be right about it being more personable. Both good companies from what I have seen and heard. Bring some sunshine with you please.

Ok alaskandude,

This is going to be a stupid question, but here goes.

We are all Pepsi Product drinkers, Diet Mt Dew in fact. Was just wondering we are sailing on the Star to Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan do you know if there is a little market or anything close to where the ships dock to buy soda or do they even carry Diet Mt. Dew.

Thanks in advance for you time and trouble.

Marcy

Can anyone tell me if there is a city bus that goes to Totem Bight?

In my earlier research for our trip, I thought I read somewhere that you can take the city bus to Totem Bight or am I going crazy? I cannot found out anything about it.

We are flying with Island Wings at 8am and only have until 1PM in Ketchikan. I would love to make it out to see the Totem Poles but also want to spend some time on Creek Street.

Thanks in advance.

Here is what I hear (can't think of anymore synonyms....)

The cruise lines are confiscatory of any bring-aboards. They will x-ray luggage and "keep your sodas" until the end of the trip, etc.

I am not sure how closely they check when coming back from port of calls.

My wife is a SunDrop drinker (it is a Tennessee thing. You either drink them or you don't get to marry a relative.)

She is worried about getting any Sun Drops and I am worried about what it may cost to buy them on board. $3 per can? yikes!!!

We'd like to go on the Island wings glacier/fjiord tour. We'd like a chance to walk on a glacier. We'll be in Ketchikan on June 17. They need 4 people to do the flight. We're only 2. Anyone else interested or have other ideas?

pfarmmom - Try posting the specifics of the excursion on your sailings roll call. Hopefully someone else on your ship will want to join with you and you will get to book it!

I've done that and hope it brings results. However, there have only been 4 people post t o it in 3 months. I guess I could bite the bullet, and book through Princess with Temco. I might do it out of Skagway then. Does anyone know if there is a diff in the heli glacier landings out of Skagway or Ketch? We have a whole lot more time in Skagway than anywhere.

Hey bearbait and alaskandude,

you both said to skip the Kart Expedition and do the Misty Fjords. That would be my choice, but my 18 and 19 year old sons got to pick the excursion in Ketchikan and picked the Kart Expedition. I was disappointed, but I wanted them to have a "say-so" too in their vacation. Is the Kart Expedition THAT bad?

Cathy

answer the question about pepsi products. i.e. mnountain dew etc

were also pepsi fans and curious how hard its going to be to get pepsi products in alaska. we leave may 19th northbound from vancouver

any help would be great. i know there are wal marts etc but what about local stores within easy reach of the boat??

alaskandude,

Are visitors still able to rent a fishing pole in K-can and fish from the pier?

I have read that thiss could be done in the past (with the purchase of a

fishing license). If this can sill be done, where can I find information on it.

• 1 month later...
Just arrived back home from our cruise.

Our Misty Fjord trip got cancelled by fog. sigh

I'm so sorry it got cancelled.:( Now you have an excuse to go back.:)

Last year it was rainy and cloudy, but we were still able to go.

answer the question about pepsi products. i.e. mnountain dew etc

were also pepsi fans and curious how hard its going to be to get pepsi products in alaska. we leave may 19th northbound from vancouver

any help would be great. i know there are wal marts etc but what about local stores within easy reach of the boat??

We bought Diet Pepsi for $2.99 a 6 pack at the Tongass Trading Store/Ace Hardware that is at the end of the dock area. Carried 2 6 packs back on board with no trouble at all. We got more in Skagway and brought it back on there.

ETA: this was on the 6/10-6/17 Sun.

Mountain Dew? We sailed the Island Princess last week.

I brought a 6 pack of beer plus a litre bottle of beer on board in Skagway.

They passed through x-ray and no one said a thing.

My friend also brought in a 6 pack of beer.

We were anxious to show each other our prize stash--only to find we weren't so special.

Our wives said we looked like kids at Christmas.

• 4 months later...

Once again here to see if I can help on any questions you might on coming up to our state. Back to the slowtime of the year up here. Decided to bring this post up because there are a lot of post about a lot of things about Ketchikan.

Alaskangirl- Nice screen name. I am just a dude in Alaska:)

• 2 months later...

Archived