Obsessing about Weather

gooch47

Made it to the ship and through the lines in record time. (It helps being Elite!)

Lightning didn't strike twice, I'm afraid. Last cruise we were upgraded at the pier to a penthouse suite. Didn't happen this time.

Thanks for all your encouraging words through my "crisis."

• 2 weeks later...

We had lunch with the Customer Services Manager and he told us that either 15 people or 15 couples (should have listened closer) did not make the ship and were in Hilo waiting to board. He said there were also quite a few last minute cancellations, too.

We left LA a little late waiting for some last minute arrivals, too.

We had lunch with the Customer Services Manager and he told us that either 15 people or 15 couples (should have listened closer) did not make the ship and were in Hilo waiting to board. He said there were also quite a few last minute cancellations, too.

We left LA a little late waiting for some last minute arrivals, too.

I was on the 12/22 sailing of the Golden and we ended up leaving 4 and a half hours late waiting for an airplane full of Brits. Apparently they never made it on board that night. Many of us were keeping our fingers crossed that any who decided to try to catch the ship in Hilo made it there, but never got an update from anyone who knew. The Brits we met onboard had arranged to fly here at least a few days before the cruise.

Wind!!! I have been worried for months about getting out of NY (JFK) in the middle of Feb. When the temps started to rise I thought we were in the clear. Now a wind advisory all day Saturday. 60 MPH gust possible.:eek: 25-35 MPH sustained winds. Really?? Well, we're crossing our fingers and hoping for the best. Wish us luck:rolleyes:

I was on the 12/22 sailing of the Golden and we ended up leaving 4 and a half hours late waiting for an airplane full of Brits. Apparently they never made it on board that night. Many of us were keeping our fingers crossed that any who decided to try to catch the ship in Hilo made it there' date=' but never got an update from anyone who knew. The Brits we met onboard had arranged to fly here at least a few days before the cruise.[/quote']

So a group of people decided to save a few bucks by flying half way around the world in Dec to catch a cruise that had it's next port 4 days later? I feel sorry about them missing the cruise but I'm afraid I'm not too broken up.

I keep telling people to picture themselves a week before the cruise intently watching the weather news, getting up the morning and worrying all the way to the airport, jumping every time an announcement is made at the airport. A nervous wreck until you walk on board.

Boy, what a way to start a vacation.

Den

I understand what you are saying, but a couple of years ago I was on here with another obsessive travel worry because Delta cancelled our two-days ahead of cruise flight to Barbados and we HAD to fly in on the day of the cruise and were going to arrive only a couple hours before sailing. We finally made it with less than a hour to spare.

You can't always control it.

So a group of people decided to save a few bucks by flying half way around the world in Dec to catch a cruise that had it's next port 4 days later? I feel sorry about them missing the cruise but I'm afraid I'm not too broken up.

I keep telling people to picture themselves a week before the cruise intently watching the weather news, getting up the morning and worrying all the way to the airport, jumping every time an announcement is made at the airport. A nervous wreck until you walk on board.

Boy, what a way to start a vacation.

Den

I think the ones using the flights given to them by Princess were counting on getting to the ship on time. Again, I'm not sure if any of them did fly on to Hilo, but it's a 14-day cruise so they would have missed the first five days of the cruise. I've heard of others who have missed getting to the ship on time and still attempted to get at least a few days of a cruise for all of their troubles (eg. someone who lives in Norway, was trying to get to Spain last year for a cruise and the volcano messed up their planes...he still did some creative traveling to get half of a 7-day cruise).

Now it's my turn to obsess about the weather, flying to FLL in 6 days. How accurate is the forecast less than a week out ? Columbus Dispatch weather for Friday, Feb. 25, says a high of 49 and slight chance of rain. I'll take it. But then potential bad weather is why we fly down there 2 days early.

Archived