Europe Ruby or Star Princess?

CherylsCaribbeanTravel

First trip to Europe! I'm interested in your opinion regarding the following 2 itineraries. I have sailed on the Caribbean Princess before, and am aware that the Ruby is a newer ship than the Star. OUr number one priority for this trip is the best itinerary for a first time European travelers.

The Star Princess has the following itinerary:

Venice (overnight at embarkation)

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Corfu, Greece

Katakolon, Greece

Athens, Greece

Mykonos, Greece

Kusadasi, Turkey

Rhodes, Greece

Santorini, Greece

Naples/Capri, Italy

Rome, Italy

The Ruby Princess Itinerary:

Venice (overnight at embarkation)

Athens, Greece

Kusadasi, Turkey

Istanbul, Turkey

Mykonos, Greece

Naples/Capri, Italy

Rome, Italy

Florence, Italy

Monte Carlo, Monaco

Barcelona, Spain

Are either of these significantly better than the other? We would add on both pre and post stays for either. Also, are either of these missing a must see port?

Thank you for your thoughts,

Cheryl

Our first Med cruise was the 12-day Grand Med on the Emerald. It was a fantastic cruise and I would recommend that itinerary on the Ruby.

The Star itinerary is pretty heavy on Greece which you'll get a taste of on the Grand Med. You should also get a taste of France and Spain on your first Med cruise which you'll get on the Grand Med.

Lew

I'd suggest the Ruby as well, you don't want to miss Istanbul because it is very interesting, safe, and easy to tour on your own and the ship docks close to the old quarter! The same is true for Monaco and Barcelona, both very beautiful and both easy to see on your own.

You will have the best time no matter which you choose, enjoy.

We did that Ruby itinerary in 2009 and we are still talking about it. As a previous poster said, the Istanbul stop was great and it gives you a great variety, Italy, Turkey, Greece, Monte Carlo and Spain all on one trip. I would do the other itinerary if we were to ever go back as it would be a little more relaxing because the Greek islands are more to just relax and walk around or go to the beach whereas the other itinerary there is really so much to see and do in each place. The Ruby was a great ship too!!!!!

I agree with the other posters, go for the Ruby. We did the Grand Med in July and still talk about what a great trip it was. The itinerary is fantastic and hits most of the highlights of the Med. Just be prepared for a very busy trip. The itinerary is very port intensive but more than worth it for the sights you see.

I agree with the others...go on the Ruby. We did this itinerary last May and absolutely loved it. Istanbul and Ephesus were fascinating. Be prepared to be on the move. Not a lot of "down time" on this cruise, but we got plenty of rest when we came home. Enjoy!!!:D:D

Besides the fact that the Ruby is our favorite ship, go with the Ruby itinerary. We did that one on the Emerald a few years ago and it was great. While it is very port intensive, we added several days pre- and post-cruise.

Venice was fantastic but very expensive.... Barcelona was great.........spent 3 extra days there....

Thanks to everyone who took time to reply!! After much thought, we sacrificed Rome to the lions have decided upon the Ruby Princess. Staying 3 nights in Barcelona and 3 nights in Venice. I don't think we could go wrong with either, but it boiled down to variety. I'll have to hit up Rome for more than 13 hours another time :)

Thanks again!

Cheryl :)

Thanks to everyone who took time to reply!! After much thought, we sacrificed Rome to the lions have decided upon the Ruby Princess. Staying 3 nights in Barcelona and 3 nights in Venice. I don't think we could go wrong with either, but it boiled down to variety. I'll have to hit up Rome for more than 13 hours another time :)

Thanks again!

Cheryl :)

I think you made the right choice!! We used Driver in Rome for a private tour with another 5 people from our roll call and saw an amazing amount of Rome in one day. Try and hook up with a Private Tour if you can, you'll get a lot more out of it.

Archived