Advice on first Lindblad expedition (Polar Bears)

Hello everyone,

Our family is just deciding whether to take our first Lindblad trip - Land of the Ice Bears, in June or July - and I wonder if I could reach out to you all with a few novice questions. So many of you seem to know this company and its trips well, and your advice would be so appreciated.

First: do you generally book directly through Lindblad/Natl Geo, or use a travel agent? Are there advantages (financial or otherwise) one over the other?

Second: have any of you been on trips with younger children (7-10 years)? The itinerary we are considering is a "family trip", but I don't know what sort of arrangements they make and what to expect. (A call to Lindblad's office wasn't terribly helpful, but the woman sounded young & unfamiliar with the trip so I don't hold it against them). What are your thoughts of how children are integrated into the ships program? (We have two relatively well-behaved, well-traveled children who are nature lovers)

Third: Any advice on cabin selection on the Explorer? Are some cabins louder than others? Do the blinds block out the 24-hour a day sun? Is it worth paying extra for a balcony, or are we unlikely to use it?

Many thanks for any experience or advice you can share.

All the best,

Katherine

Katherine,

I was on the Explorer last November in Antarctica. I had a solo cabin on the Main Deck, right by the middle stairwell. I wasn't sure how quiet it would be since it was just above the Mud Room. It was very quiet, I heard no noise from the cabins either to the side or above me on the next deck. If I was to pick a cabin I would pick one by the middle stairwell. That stairwell goes to all decks, nice and convenient. I would think that if it is a family trip you are thinking about, it would be very well run. I had a great time and the naturalists were great. I think some of the ones that we had also do the Polar bear ones. I spent most of my free time on the bow of the ship, so I wouldn't pay the extra to get a balcony. But with four in your cabin, maybe the balcony rooms are larger.

The windows were covered with a pull down solid shade and a cloth Roman? shade over that. It did keep the light out very well.

I booked through the N.G/Lindblad office. When I had a question I would email them and would get a reply very quickly.

Julie

Hi Julie,

Thanks so much for your response. Its nice to hear from someone who has been on the ship! We just booked our trip for this summer and are very much looking forward to it. Funny - I had no luck at all getting them to reply to my emailed inquiries, but additional phone calls put me in touch with a wonderful & helpful woman who had been on the trip. She was enthusiastic and spoke with me at length. So for those of you who may encounter initial obstacles getting information from Lindblad - keep trying! Eventually you may get someone helpful and informed.

For others who are looking for information about the Ice Bears trip, I found two blog reports from previous travellers:

http://www.rebeccayale.com/2009/09/land-of-ice-bears-summer-2009.html

http://pigonwings.wordpress.com/category/travels/

Hope others might find these helpful (it took a bit of digging around the internet to turn them up).

If anyone else out there can speak to the various cabins on the Explorer (pros/cons of categories or specific cabins), I'd be grateful.

Thanks again -

Katherine

We have been on the Explorer for a total of 2 months (British Isles - Arctic - Baltic - Europe), Since we place a premium on space, we have only been in 215, 219 and 230. Of the three, we prefer 230 - less vibration than 219. 215, with its separation of sleeping and sitting areas provides a darkened sleeping area. All 3 are convenient to the lounge and an ice machine. A longer walk to the dining room and mud room. In our time up the Norwegian coast and Svalbard, we made extensive use of the balcony. The stern view is wonderful.

Ted

Hi Ted,

2 months on the Explorer definitely qualifies you as an expert. What's your favorite spot on the ship?

What did you think of your Arctic trip? Was it as spectacular as the photos show? Do you recommend taking proper snowpants or just waterproofs?

Provided all goes well this summer, we are eyeing the Antarctica trip next. I think our kids need to grow up a little first, though. Have been reading the DERs with envy and longing, wondering how many years we have to wait for them to be ready.

Best, Katherine

Favorite spot? The bar! Just kidding. The chart room, I think. It's forward facing with 24 hour coffee service and easy access to a forward facing outside deck. The Ice Bear trip was one of our first Lindblad itins back in '97. It was on the Caledonian Star (now the Endeavour) We returned in '09 on the Beyond the North Cape itin on Explorer. The Arctic lives up tp its press - assured Polar Bear sightings along with Walrus - Puffins for birders and extraordinary staff and guides.

The Antarctic? Spectacular! We have been fortunate to have been there twice - not too many kids on either trip. Expensive and school is in session except for around Christmas. BTW, rain pants over khakis or jeans have always worked for us - long johns are essential!

Ted

• 3 months later...

I did this trip earlier this year. We saw a record number of Polar Bears. I did not care for Lindblad. The first 2 days there was no lectures or anything to suggest we were on an informational cruise. There are No -ZERO -NADA cruise activities so children would be bored a good amount of the time. I spent most of the day in the library reading about the Artic circle and the wildlife. The library is also an observation room with huge picture windows that is a very nice place to sit. The food was not as good as mass market lines nor were there snacks other then a tin of cookies and tea at 3 Pm. I found Lindblad a poor value. I did enjoy the Artic circle and the daily zodiac rides and the wild life. Our expedition leader is not listed on Lindblad right now, a plus for you since I found him boring and burned out. The other expedition members were fabulous and very knowledgeable. I found our main deck cabin quite adequate and there was no noise. The furnishings and bathroom amenities were above average. I personally will look for another small cruise line to do other similar cruises that are destination orientated and educational, which I enjoy very much.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just got back from this trip, and I'll post a review shortly on these boards (and also over on Tripadvisor). I'm so curious to hear your comment about your expedition leader, CoolCruzer. I do think it makes a tremendous difference to one's experience, and I think they do burn out after several weeks because of the 24/7 nature of the job. I'd love to hear you say more, if you'd feel comfortable.

We just got back from this trip, and I'll post a review shortly on these boards (and also over on Tripadvisor). I'm so curious to hear your comment about your expedition leader, CoolCruzer. I do think it makes a tremendous difference to one's experience, and I think they do burn out after several weeks because of the 24/7 nature of the job. I'd love to hear you say more, if you'd feel comfortable.

Will look forward to reading your review to see if it more closely matches my experiences in the Arctic with Lindblad.

Ted

Archived