Curling Irons Confiscated?

august1963

Is this true? I thought I had read something about this on here. If they take my curling iron, the people on my ship are not going to like it......(scary lady on board)

We just returned off the Triumph on January 22 and DW ad DIL both brought theirs without any problems.

They might get started by people like me who read the boards at 3 or 4 in the morning while drinking wine and can't remember what they read the next day. Seriously, I did read something, although it might have been something about a straightener.

They might get started by people like me who read the boards at 3 or 4 in the morning while drinking wine and can't remember what they read the next day. Seriously, I did read something, although it might have been something about a straightener.
You're not crazy, I vaguely remember reading something about that too. I figured it was probably an over-zealous screener who heard "no irons" and took a curling iron. lol Or maybe we were both drinking wine and made that memory up. :p

Last year, there was a pretty heated discussion on the boards about this very topic. The thread has been closed, but here is a link to it. One lady reported that her curling iron was confiscated. She scanned the paperwork to prove it to the angry mob... :D

See post number 89...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1197607&page=5

Now, everyone be nice so that this thread does not go poof! It seems to be a very rare occurance to lose your curling iron.

Just off the Legend yesterday, both my curling iron and flat iron made it through no problem....I can only guess someone read a thread about clothes irons, thought they meant hair irons, and off they went with misinformation. Easy to get confused if you don't make the extra effort to read which kind of iron they are referring to I suppose.

The way to avoid starting rumors is to check in the cruiselines FAQs area before saying you think you read something here that said something maybe...LOL....:rolleyes:

The reason there are no problems getting curling irons, flat irons and hair dryers on board is because they are allowed; they are not prohibited!

Sorry, didn't mean to yell. :eek:

They are prohibited.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=security+measures#q-544510

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle (750 ml. size) per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

• Hookah

They are prohibited.

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard.

Confiscated Items

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle (750 ml. size) per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

• Hookah

it must be because it's midnight and i can see what i'm reading...but where does it say curling irons are prohibited??

it does say " Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution."

your fine bringing your curling iron, the only time they may think about taking it, is if its old with exposed wires in the cord.

They are prohibited.

Confiscated Items

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

• Hookah

As your post confirms, as does the Carnival website...

THEY ARE NOT PROHIBITED! You can bring on hair dyers, curling irons & flat irons with NO PROBLEM.

The exception would be IF the cords were frayed or appear to be a safety hazard. Same with extension cords or power strips. Let's not continue to confuse people with this misinformation. ;)

Just off the Legend yesterday, both my curling iron and flat iron made it through no problem....I can only guess someone read a thread about clothes irons, thought they meant hair irons, and off they went with misinformation. Easy to get confused if you don't make the extra effort to read which kind of iron they are referring to I suppose.

Don't think so. Here, from their new list of prohibited items:

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not exceed 700 watts and should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Don't think so. Here' date=' from their new list of prohibited items:

[b']Miscellaneous Concerns: [/b]

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not exceed 700 watts and should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Yes and also don't forget to read the note on your hairdryer that it should not be used in the shower:rolleyes:

My aunt's friend said she knew a lady that had a second cousin who had an ex that heard from his new girlfriend that she got onboard with a 1200 watt dryer after she had the guy at the fix-it shop scrape off the label so it read 700 watt.

I'm positive this is accurate.

yes and also don't forget to read the note on your hairdryer that it should not be used in the shower:rolleyes:

my aunt's friend said she knew a lady that had a second cousin who had an ex that heard from his new girlfriend that she got onboard with a 1200 watt dryer after she had the guy at the fix-it shop scrape off the label so it read 700 watt.

lol...

:d

As your post confirms, as does the Carnival website...

THEY ARE NOT PROHIBITED! You can bring on hair dyers, curling irons & flat irons with NO PROBLEM.

The exception would be IF the cords were frayed or appear to be a safety hazard. Same with extension cords or power strips. Let's not continue to confuse people with this misinformation. ;)

When I read flat irons, I thought you meant clothes irons.

My aunt's friend said she knew a lady that had a second cousin who had an ex that heard from his new girlfriend that she got onboard with a 1200 watt dryer after she had the guy at the fix-it shop scrape off the label so it read 700 watt.

I heard that too!!! That lady has really weird luck though. One time, she met a guy on a cruise only to discover when she went to visit his house that he had died like 100 years before. True story. :eek:

I heard that too!!! That lady has really weird luck though. One time, she met a guy on a cruise only to discover when she went to visit his house that he had died like 100 years before. True story. :eek:

Isn't that the same lady that had rum runners in her bra and got felt up by security? Didn't they run off together and have 6 kids that they let run all over the cruise ships and pee in the hot tubs while hogging chairs?

August1963, I also read this somewhere in a review. The woman's flat iron was confiscated at the port. She went on to say her hair was in a pony tail or something for the entire cruise. If I had time, or felt like, I would try to find it. I am not so worried about my curling irons at port as I am at the airport. I actually got pulled aside and question about what was in my bag at MSP International a few years ago! It was 2 curling irons on x-ray that looked suspicision to them! lol :D

Archived