Inside cabin vs. Obstructed ocean view cabin

Yochell

Besides the price, what would the difference be between an inside cabin and an obstructed Ocean View cabin on Princess or HAL? Either way, you won't be able to see anything out the window. Would it be worth paying extra to have an obstructed ocean view? How about a Partially Obstructed OV? This is the decision I am up against at the moment. Thanks for your help.

There are different degrees of obstruction, sometimes it's a lifeboat and you can still have a bit of a view. (The cruiseline should be able to tell you what the percentage of obstruction is for a particular stateroom). The main difference is that you will have some natural light in the stateroom during the day, where as with an Interior it will just be dark. If it wasn't a huge price difference I would book the O/V, I would like knowing if it's morning or midnight.

For HAL ships, go on the Holland America boards, and check out the "sticky" at the top of the list of threads - its done by a frequent HAL cruiser, Joanie, who has gathered photos of many, many cabins on HAL ships along with explanations of the cabins by the folks who stayed in them. She's done quite a fine job and it provides a lot of info. I think the sticky is called "HAL staterooms" or something like that. Oft times an "obstructed view" may be the super structure of the ship itself across the Promenade deck. OV's on the Promenade are actually sought after because you have easy access to the largest balcony on the ship!

What HAL ship are you considering? If the Amsterdam or Volendam, I would suggest 7056 or 7055 on the Amsterdam, and 7086 and 7087 on the Volendam. Aft OV's on the Navigation deck, just steps to a little used public deck - awesome views and just one flight up to the Lido for snacks, drinks or a quick dip in the aft Lido pool. We stayed in 7056 on our 14 day Alaskan cruise last May 31st - and it was the perfect cabin for us! That little used deck on the aft became like our own private balcony, and we spent many, many hours out there scanning the seas for whales (rewarded every time, I might add!;)) and great views of magnificent glaciers and mountains and Alaskan scenery. The Volendam is the Amsterdam's sister ship and those two cabins I mentioned are mirror images.

Sorry, can't help you with Princess, have never sailed with them before. Also can't help with OV's on the larger (Vista class) HAL ships, because we've only ever sailed in a balcony cabin on those larger ships (also Alaska - can you tell we LOVE Alaska???:D:DLOL!).

Good luck in your mission!

Thanks for the information. I was just wondering whether or not it would be worth it, and how much could actually be seen in the obstructed. Now I have to look into prices and make a decision. :)

We had a partially obstructed OV on Princess.. one of the ones on Lido deck, not the ones that peek between lifeboats on Emerald.

I loved it. There is a wall in front of the cabin, but you still could see the ports spread out above what the wall blocked when you woke up in a port.

Iv never seen a totally obstructed OV .. just how much obstruction varys from cabin to cabin.

Besides the price, what would the difference be between an inside cabin and an obstructed Ocean View cabin on Princess or HAL? Either way, you won't be able to see anything out the window. Would it be worth paying extra to have an obstructed ocean view? How about a Partially Obstructed OV? This is the decision I am up against at the moment. Thanks for your help.

Go to the Princess Cruises forum. Someone has posted photos of cabins with obstructed views.

Cabins with windows are mainly to let in light...they're not really great for ocean-viewing, even without an obstruction.

If you want to know night from day, book the obstructed OV...if you don't care if you always have to use electric light, then save the $$ and book the inside!

We had an obstructed once, a boat outside our window, so we could see a little through two windows of the boat (I was joking: tunnel vision). On tender days they would wake us up early with the noise of the boats taken down (in Alaska).

I cannot be in inside cabin, and will try to get at least a porthole, didn't like obstructed window.

Obstructed oceanview cabins on Princess are the same size as a balcony but you do not have the balcony, you have a window. To me it is worth the extra money just for the larger cabin. Princess inside cabins are small.

I found this link to be very helpful

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=830062&highlight=pictures+princess+obstructed

Obstructed oceanview cabins on Princess are the same size as a balcony but you do not have the balcony, you have a window. To me it is worth the extra money just for the larger cabin. Princess inside cabins are small.

I found this link to be very helpful

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=830062&highlight=pictures+princess+obstructed

Thanks for the link. It was VERY helpful, as have all of the thoughts on this board!!:)

Archived