what to wear into port?

jollyjim

hey everybody, just want to say that I've been reading so much great stuff on here, I can't believe all the info I've gotton from all of you already! My son and I will be leaving for our first cruise next week, and I'm packing up our clothes and just wondering about what to wear. I was just planning on wearing my swim suit underneath my clothes, but then happened to think that if my suit gets wet and I put my clothes back on, then my clothes will be wet too(duh). But then I don't know if there's anywhere to change, and if I should wear my suit and bring undies to change into, or just bring my suit and change twice, the idea of carrying around underwear and a bra scares me-what if I spill my bag out or something and everyone sees my stuff(I know-stupid, but that's the kind of stuff I worry about).

So, our plan is in Grand Turk, we will visit the conch graveyard, walk around a bit, do the flowrider(I assume we need swimwear for that), have lunch, maybe go into the ocean for a bit.

Then Half Moon Cay, we will probably just hang out at the beach, maybe do glass bottom boat ride or something.

Then Nassau we want to go parasailing (do we nead to wear swimsuits for that? I don't think it really said that you go in the water, but the pictures were of people wearing swimsuits, and then hopefully have enough time to walk around and check out the queens staircase, fort charlotte, and/or fort fincastle.

Normally I wouldn't even care if my clothes got a little wet, but I'm trying not to pack too much, so the shirt I will be wearing is the shirt I will wear to dinner also (I am bringing 2 extra shirts just in case, though).

Thanks to anybody with any advice, and thanks for all the wonderful info I've already gotten!!

I actually have done a couple of things in regards to wearing bathing suits. I have a cute cover up dress that rolls into a very small size so I will wear that over my bathing suit when I know I will be getting wet. I can go into any place with that cover up on. I have a great LL Bean backpack that I use on shore trips. Arms are free and it can hold my towel, extra clothes, etc. I use it on the plane to hold book, ID's etc. Things don't spill out of it. I found that usually there are bathrooms in places where there are beaches and swimming so changing can happen. I will change if I feel I will not dry and I'm going to do a lot of things off the beach.

Same here. All my cover-ups basically look like dresses and don't take up much room. They are easy to pack and light weight. Daytime wear for me (if I don't do the cover-up/dress thing), consists normally of shorts and tank tops/t-shirts which don't take up room either w/ a swimsuit underneath.

My beach tote actually has a zipper so extra clothes and things can't fall out.

I'll dress up a little more for the evening in dress slacks, and dress blouses/tanks. Maybe a dress or two(not a cover up) for the dress up nights. Again, I keep everything pretty light weight. No jeans or anything that will make the luggage heavy and that lets me pack a lot more.

Just remember, if it is hot/humid, you may want to change shirts in the evening because of that "sticky" feel just from being outside, but everyone is different when it comes to that. You should not have a problem finding a place to change at the beach.

Have a good trip!

It won't take your suit long to dry, assuming you get out of the water 15-20 mins before you're ready to leave...There may be places to change, but why bother?

You don't HAVE to wear swimsuits to parasail, most 99.9% of folks will...sometimes, they'll "dip" you into the water. I think a swimsuit would be the appropriate attire!

I would bring a shirt specifically to wear over swimwear...and something entirely different for dinners.....

Most Caribbean beaches do not have changing facilities. Find a nice cover up that looks like a dress. Be aware of thieves on beaches. Just bring a few dollars, no passports or jewelry.

Actually Caribbean beaches usually have restrooms where you can change. The exception would be if you go to an isolated beach but I have found restrooms in many places.

One thing to consider is the material that make up the bra cups of your swimsuits. I have found ones with cups or thicker linings make the chest the last part to dry. Considering that most shirts cling slightly to the breasts, it can sometimes leave, um, unfortunate wet spots on your shirt. I don’t know if other women have this problem, but I find it kind of awkward.

thanks alot everyone, I guess maybe I should just bring different shirts for dinner, you are right, I will probably want to shower, and a few more shirts won't take up too much more room in my suitcase. I'll have to remember to get a nice dress-like coverup this summer (we are in wisconsin, so there's none out in the stores right now and too late to order anything off internet) Thanks

I think a bathing suit with a little cover-up is fine in most instances. There are ports, however, where more "coverage" is desirable to avoid unwanted attention/approaches from the local male population.

I feel comfortable wearing my two-piece bathing suit and a pair of shorts or a skimpy cover-up to RCCL's private islands - CocoCay and Labadee, but I always wear a blouse or t-shirt of some sort, along with shorts or a gauzy long skirt over my bathing suit to go ashore in other ports.

Just my two cents worth....take it or leave it!:):)

Archived