Captains on the ships !

sebas030

I was just wondering how long does a ship keeps its captain.

Do they change on a regular schedule or are they there until retirement ?

Since every ship class is different, are they confined to one class or can they move up and be promoted to an other class ?

Just curious !

Thanks all :)

I believe the captain and senior officers work on 4-month contracts (at least that was the case as of a couple of years ago). I've had Captain Lars (the rock star of NCL!) on both the Pearl (Jewel class) and the Star (Dawn class).

On the Enchantment last month Captain Rob told us that he works 10 weeks on and has ten weeks off. I forget who he said was the other captain on the opposite schedule.

(Sorry - I thought I was on the RCL board. )

On the Enchantment last month Captain Rob told us that he works 10 weeks on and has ten weeks off. I forget who he said was the other captain on the opposite schedule.

This is the same for NCL Captains. The Staff Captains are on the the same 10 week cycle but with a 5 week offset from the Captain.

PE

Captains work 10 on / 10 off. There are 2 Captains per ship on alternating schedules. They usually work the same ship for quite awhile but they can ask to be reassigned to another ship for a change in itinerary or just for a change. Some also get moved around when a new ship comes out.

I believe the NCL Captains work that same schedule...but not completely sure!

How do you get to be a captain? Is there a school you attend? Im sure u have to work your way up? Just curious how to get into that career path?

I am curious about the above question also. In addition, has anyone ever been on a cruise with an American captain? I don't think they even make large ships in this country anymore.

In the US you can go to the Merchant Marine academy and get a four year degree. After that you can spend about 20+ years working your way through the ranks and if your lucky, become a Captain. A tough career path. Not many open slots for captains of really big ships.;)

Do you know if there are any women captains out there? My 5 year old daughter has decided that she wants to be a "cruise ship driver" when she grows up. We are going on the Dawn in May, and I hope she will be able to meet the captain!

Kim

Do you know if there are any women captains out there? My 5 year old daughter has decided that she wants to be a "cruise ship driver" when she grows up. We are going on the Dawn in May, and I hope she will be able to meet the captain!

Kim

Not sure about female ships captains, but there are plenty of female airline pilots.

Do you know if there are any women captains out there?
Yes, at least one:
170 YEARS ON, CUNARD APPOINTS FIRST LADY CAPTAIN

When Inger Klein Olsen assumed command of Cunard's Queen Victoria on Wednesday 1 December 2010, she made history by becoming the venerable shipping line's first female Captain. But her first task as Captain was simply to take the ship, without passengers, to drydock in Hamburg for its planned refit. Next Wednesday (15 December), though, she will be on the bridge as the ship sets sail with a full complement of passengers.

43-year-old Captain Olsen was born and brought up in the Faroe Islands, which goes some way to explaining her maritime abilities, and she joined Cunard in 1997 as First Officer on board Caronia. In 2001 she transferred to the Seabourn fleet - at that time part of Cunard. She sailed on Seabourn Sun and Seabourn Spirit before being promoted to rank of Staff Captain on Seabourn Pride in 2003.

Archived