Any Scouting Reports on the RiverSide Hotel in Ft. Lauderale?

Himself

Is the Hyatt Pier 66 on San Olas Blvd ? Any opinions on this hotel for post cruise stay?

How far is The Cheesecake Factory from this hotel ?

Thanks.

Hyatt Pier 66 is on SE 17th Street, several miles from Las Olas Blvd. The Cheescake Factory is on the next corner to the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas. In addition to the Cheesecae Factory there are a number of really good local restaurants on Las Olas, many with outdoor cafes right on the Blvd. which we prefer because of the atmosphere, but that's just personal preference.

So, will the Water Taxi take me to part of Las Olas Blvd ? I'm sorry if anyone is

upset I posted this here instead of Florida board.

There is Also a Water Taxi stop right on the property of Hyatt Pier 66. Very convenient.

Bravo is about 5 minutes from Hyatt Pier 66.

There is Also a Water Taxi stop right on the property of Hyatt Pier 66. Very convenient.

Bravo is about 5 minutes from Hyatt Pier 66.

And: if you get off at the 17th STreet Bridge stop it is even closer because you don't have to cross the bridge over SE 17Avenue Causeway.

I just picked up a current water taxi schedule when we were in FLL two weeks ago.

Happy to help if anyone has a question re: times.

Do they run the same schedule in the Summer as they do in High Season. They had some express boats in Late January and early February.

Perhaps this is a bit off the subject, but there are many hotels/motels in the Hollywood area that provide free parking while you are cruising and free transportation to your ship. Also a short walk to shopping or to use a water taxi. Our favorite is LaQuinta and offers very nice rooms at about 1/2 the price of the one discussed here.

Perhaps this is a bit off the subject, but there are many hotels/motels in the Hollywood area that provide free parking while you are cruising and free transportation to your ship. Also a short walk to shopping or to use a water taxi. Our favorite is LaQuinta and offers very nice rooms at about 1/2 the price of the one discussed here.

I personally prefer to be in Ft. Lauderdale.

Stayed there a couple of times ... both times in the "original" section. The place has a great location, with interesting places to walk to, such as shops, restaurants, etc.

The hotel itself has a fine bar and restaurant.

My only real complaint was the dreaded "samuri toilet seat" ... beware!

AG

Stayed there a couple of times ... both times in the "original" section. The place has a great location, with interesting places to walk to, such as shops, restaurants, etc.

The hotel itself has a fine bar and restaurant.

My only real complaint was the dreaded "samuri toilet seat" ... beware!

AG

Air Gorilla: I always stay in the older section and I never noticed. I will take note in November.

We absolutely love the Riverside and when we fly to FLL rather than drive we always stay there. That being said just a tad bit of warning if you are using it on a weekend, particularly on a Saturday. The Riverside is a prime location for Wedding Receptions and if one is scheduled for the night you will be there BEWARE as you will get no sleep until the wee hours of the morning. The music, bass in particular, just rocks the entire building. We encountered that situation twice and while both times the hotel gave us a very generous credit towards our bill nothing is worse than starting your 1st day of a cruise will little to no sleep. :eek: We learned to call the hotel and ask in advance.

We stayed in the tower last fall. I had booked the old part of the hotel because I love old hotels, even if the rooms are small or quirky. But they didn't have anything ready when we arrived, so they upgraded us to the tower (not a balcony room, but a nice view of the river). The room was large and comfortable and I thought the service in the hotel was excellent.

It was Boat Show weekend, so the river taxis weren't doing their usual runs. The doorman was very good about explaining that it was an unusual problem and he got us us a taxi to the beach.

The next morning we had to be out early to catch our train, and the restaurant was good about making sure we were served promptly. The hotel even gave us a ride to the train in their courtesty van, which was nice.

Overall, I was underwhelmed by the area. The walk along the river was OK, but there weren't many places along the river to stop for a drink or coffee or a bit of people watching. Just a lot of high-rise apartment buildings. I wasn't expecting anything like San Antonio's riverwalk, but Ft Lauderdale hypes the walk more than it's worth. Las Olas Blvd didn't speak to me for some reason. I think part of my disappointment was not being able to take the river taxi. A cab to the beach isn't any thrill. NOT the hotel's fault, obviously. But if we sail into FLL again, I'll stay by the ocean.

We stayed in the tower last fall. I had booked the old part of the hotel because I love old hotels, even if the rooms are small or quirky. But they didn't have anything ready when we arrived, so they upgraded us to the tower (not a balcony room, but a nice view of the river). The room was large and comfortable and I thought the service in the hotel was excellent.

It was Boat Show weekend, so the river taxis weren't doing their usual runs. The doorman was very good about explaining that it was an unusual problem and he got us us a taxi to the beach.

The next morning we had to be out early to catch our train, and the restaurant was good about making sure we were served promptly. The hotel even gave us a ride to the train in their courtesty van, which was nice.

Overall, I was underwhelmed by the area. The walk along the river was OK, but there weren't many places along the river to stop for a drink or coffee or a bit of people watching. Just a lot of high-rise apartment buildings. I wasn't expecting anything like San Antonio's riverwalk, but Ft Lauderdale hypes the walk more than it's worth. Las Olas Blvd didn't speak to me for some reason. I think part of my disappointment was not being able to take the river taxi. A cab to the beach isn't any thrill. NOT the hotel's fault, obviously. But if we sail into FLL again, I'll stay by the ocean.

And I will opt for the Riverside or the Hilton Marina or the Renaissance.

• 1 month later...

The Riverside accepted my bid once. It was OK, but I'm much happier when I get the Hyatt Place near the Harbor Shops like for our upcoming cruise. The free breakfast is one reason, but we also like the location and always enjoy walking down to the 17th Street bridge to see the ships the morning of our cruise.

The one fun thing about when we stayed at the Riverside was that it was the day of Fort Lauderdale St. Patrick's parade. Las Olas was closed to traffic that morning. We took the shuttle to the port, and the driver managed to avoid the closed roads.

Archived