Hot tubs bleaching swim suits?!?

agc291

I will be on the Victory in about 50 days :eek: and have seen a couple of times that the hot tubs on board bleach your swim suits because they use salt water in them... has anyone experienced this? I have had white suits turn an off whiteish color from the hot tub before but I wanted to make sure my pink green black blue etc suits wouldnt be bleached!

Yep! My hot pink swimsuit is not so hot after a dip in the hot tubs on board. :o Plus, it made the color run onto the towels and everything else my suit dripped on/touched!

I always pack 2-3 swimsuits anyway, because the one never seems to dry out in time, and putting on a cold wet bathing suit is just gross. This way, I have my already bleached out one for the hot tubs and my bright nice one for elsewhere. :)

I usually rinse off both before and after I use the hot tubs using the poolside showers. Also, when I go back to my room, I rinse off my suit very well, and use some liquid tide to clean any lingering chlorine. I have never had a problem with fading from any of my suits!

I haven't had a chance to experience this yet, since I am on my first cruise in 20 days.

But being in Cali for a while and in the salt water ocean and pools it is know that when salt water and heat mix it can fade the color of the suits. I have one that has been faded by chlorine more than the salt water.

But I believe this all depends on the quality of the suite, the material it is made out of.

It is unlikely that salt water in itself is causing any problems. Bleaching can be caused by chemicals and or (especially) the sun. My guess is that if hot tubs are causing fading, it is something added to the salt water that is the culprit. I usually buy a cheap swimsuit at Walmart or Target (sometimes as low as $5, also check various online stores for last season items) to use in the hot tubs and pools. Save your favorites for strolling the beach.

Great thanks! I will just pick up a cheap o one or see if i have an old suit laying around the house.

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I've been lurking on these boards for months and never knew about the "bleaching" problem. I guess because the last three cruises I went on, I was young and wouldn't care anyway. But I would be a little P/O if I ruined my brand new bikini from Victoria's Secret. :eek:

Need to watch acrylic nails too! they become soft and gummy :mad:

Actually, sunscreen is what does it to nails. I have never had a problem with chlorine or salt water doing it but without fail the sunscreen will take off any nail polish or acrylic without a problem. However, you can use an acrylic gel and be just fine. In Utah its a popular trend to do "glitter toes" which uses the acrylic gel and the sun keeps it nice and hard and have yet to see anything soften it.

I'd take it as a positive sign that something has actually been added to the water killing germs in those public petri dishes. I've had to do some pretty repulsive things over the years, but I'm long past equating "bobbing in a toilet" to "fun times". Everyone has their personal quirks/irrational phobias, one of mine is public hot-tubs.

Actually, sunscreen is what does it to nails. I have never had a problem with chlorine or salt water doing it but without fail the sunscreen will take off any nail polish or acrylic without a problem. However, you can use an acrylic gel and be just fine. In Utah its a popular trend to do "glitter toes" which uses the acrylic gel and the sun keeps it nice and hard and have yet to see anything soften it.

Thanks for the info - I didn't know- always thought it was the chemicals in the water!

I will be on the Victory in about 50 days :eek: and have seen a couple of times that the hot tubs on board bleach your swim suits because they use salt water in them... has anyone experienced this? I have had white suits turn an off whiteish color from the hot tub before but I wanted to make sure my pink green black blue etc suits wouldnt be bleached!

You can expect any bathing suit on any Caribbean cruise to be bleached.

Hot tubs are fresh water with chlorine, and are also full of salt, and suntan oils, lotions and other unmentionable chemicals. In addition they are in the sun. You can expect any fabric exposed to those conditions to fade. (In fact you can expect any bathing suit to fade simply by laying out in the sun.)

Heaven forbid that clothing might change colors slightly.

If you don't want colors to change do not wear your bathing suit in the pool, ocean, hot tub or sun!

I don't use the hot tubs, but DH does. On one cruise last year on the Triumph he came back to the room smelling of chlorine. His suit was bleached as were parts of the Carnival blue towel. It has only happened that one time out of many cruises..

I've noticed that most any public hot tub will bleach a suit. I've had the same thing happen at hotels and at my gym. I think the chlorine is much stronger in them than in most home use hot tubs. Chlorine is tough on suits anyway. When I'm actively going to water aerobics a few times a week, even the best suits don't hold up very long before they disintegrate from the chlorine. I always immediately rinse them out after a class, tool.

The hot tubs do not use salt water, the pools do. The bleaching comes from the chlorine that is used in hot tubs to kill bacteria.

Thank you...That was what I wanted to say...

Salt actually sets dye, anyone who dyes their own fabric knows that. Chlorine is a bleaching agent in used to sanitize the hot tubs....better too much then not enough.

You can expect any bathing suit on any Caribbean cruise to be bleached.

Hot tubs are fresh water with chlorine, and are also full of salt, and suntan oils, lotions and other unmentionable chemicals. In addition they are in the sun. You can expect any fabric exposed to those conditions to fade. (In fact you can expect any bathing suit to fade simply by laying out in the sun.)

Heaven forbid that clothing might change colors slightly.

If you don't want colors to change do not wear your bathing suit in the pool, ocean, hot tub or sun!

For me..skinny dipping is not an option...lol

Archived