Norwegian Sun Passengers Steamed Over Altered Cruise -- But Do They Have a Case?

LauraS

Itinerary Changes

"In the event of strikes, lockouts, stoppages of labor, riots, weather conditions, mechanical difficulties or any other reason whatsoever NCL has the right to cancel, advance, postpone or substitute any scheduled sailing or itinerary without prior notice. NCL shall not be responsible for failure to adhere to published arrival and departure times for any of its ports of call. NCL may, but is not obliged to, substitute another vessel for any sailing and cannot be liable for any loss to passengers by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement or substitution."

It is very important to be reasonable and not to distort a post because of your own agenda, please. Would a cruise line advertise a cruise to aruba then take you to alaska? Please, Please, probably not, however the issue is the cruise lines have a right to, now that is a problem in my opinion, your opinion may be different.

If you feel like I do, contact your senator and congress person, tell them you want laws of cruise lines that use usa ports changed to protect the consumer.

In addition if I paid a fortune to for an alaska cruise to see glaciers and I did not see any, i would be extremely disapointed, it certainly would not be a laughing out loud moment. Compassion for people who were disapointed with their cruises.

I know, let's get congress to pass a law that says that nothing bad can ever happen to anyone ever again. It will be illegal for machinery on any transportation to break, for waves to interfere with tendering operations, for snow to cancel flights. Once you've made plans it will be illegal for anything to happen to interfere with them. Yep, that's what we need- an all encompassing law that prevents all the bad ship from happening:D.

Seriously, I do feel bad that people missed the ports they wanted to go to, but from what I've read NCL was more than generous in making up for it. I booked our AOS cruise based on the itinerary and while I would be very disappointed in missing any of the ports I won't lose sight of the fact that I am on a beautiful ship with the most beautiful person in the world to me and we are going to have a good time.

What's done, is done. Whether or not NCL could/should have refunded/compensated more is water under the bridge. They went above what they legally had to do. It's time for some to get on with their lives, and vow to never cruise NCL again. What else can you do?

I feel bad for the folks that this happened to, but the ship BROKE for pities sake. When you're under reduced speeds and on an itinerary, something has to give. And we're all advised in writing in advance of that.

You get what you pay for. What do people expect from cruiselines that sweat making a profit until they hopefully sell enough booze?

If you really, really need to be in a certain place on a certain day--to buy cheap booze, to do your Christmas shopping, to (for heaven's sake) get married--you don't go by cruise ship and then wail mightily when you can't port as planned.

Unless you're embarrassingly uninformed, totally unreasonable and ludicrously self-absorbed.

whatever, these people should have been aware of what they were buying. I know any time I get on a ship I may end up someplace else. Whining about not being able to go Christmas shopping in St Thomas? Give me a break.

Yes' date=' we need to get the government more involved with every facet of our lives.[/color']

Right!!!!! :rolleyes:

PE

Yeah if I'm going to take the time to contact my Senator I'm going to tell him I want a damn ocean in Vermont.

NCL has changed over the years. My past cruises did not seem to matter with them. So boycott is what I will be doing and I look forward to my next cruise on another line. My door is open if NCL wants to tye to earn. Back my business and they know where to find me.

I think they have changed as well and for the most part, changed for the better. At least today we have an ieda what the ships will be like, compared to the days when they purchased ships from anybody and everybody with no uniformity. Sure, some things have gone down in quality, just like all cruise lines (and we have been on every mass marketed line more than once) but when you consider the price we are paying, not only for NCL but most lines we have to expect changes.

If you want to boycott NCL I am sure they will survive without your business, just like the lines we boycott will survive without ours.

Nita

I think the passengers were adequately compensated for the itinerary change. Frankly, it sounds like lots of them are acting like babies - "I want, I want, I want". Grow up people! Life happens! This can't be the first time that you didn't get what you wanted/expected. As far as getting Congress involved - WE DON'T NEED CONGRESS DICTATING HOW WE LIVE!

One year we signed up for a cruise to Alaska that was supposed to go to Glacier Bay. We didn't go to Glacier Bay, but went to Hubbard Glacier instead. We got no compensation; not even a refund of the "port charge".

I can't say I wouldn't b PO'd if this had happened on my vaca, but if NCL did in fact give them EVERYTHING on that compensation list (OBC, drinks, refund taxes/port fees, future cruise credit, etc) than the blow would have been lessened.

ETA: Would trip insurance cover these circumstances?

I think they were fairly compensated. At least, they made the effort to compensate them for something that was out of their control.

At Carnival, I had a problem before they even left port. They waited an additional 7 hours in port before leaving because of the bad weather on the day before so many flights were cancelled, trying to find out info about anything about intinerary changes and they said everything was normal, but soon as we got underway then they told we are missing a port because of the late start. So a 4 day cruise actually became a 3 day cruise with one stop in Cozumel and back and the time there was cut short. No compensation what so ever or any apologies either. It was tough luck and talk to Customer Service when you get back. All they said was think about the poor people whose flights were cancelled.

That just was bad customer service, but not much you can do about it. I just will not use Carnival again. There are many cruise lines out there so you just have to choose the ones that treat you good and stay away from the ones that treat you indifferent or bad.

It is too bad the ones who wanted to complain so loud ruined it for others. NCL gave them much more than the cruise contract states they have to. The complainers have no case. Stuff happens and you just have to go with the flow. It is no wonder other countries hate Americans. We can be very rude to people and can act so spoiled. It makes me sad.:confused:

Well said!!!

Well we agree to disagree, in my opinion of course you can pass laws on anyone that does business in/with the USA. Of course the type of refund depends on the reason for not making the ports, example if NCL knew before the cruise left the first port in the usa that they would need to change the itineary because of a mechancial issue, well in my opinion I have a big problem with that, in my opinion the contract needs to be changed to protect the consumer. I think the value casual cruiser has a different perspective than a long time cruiser. Conditioning may play a big part. The contract and changes to it have much more to do than just the complaints on this cruise, this is for the future, contact your congress person and senator.

Have you contacted your congress person and senator yet? Just curious. You want some sort of "bill of rights" for cruisers I'm thinking. With all that's going in in the world today I'd think that would be far down on their list of issues to deal with. You do realize that, if cruise lines are are given restrictions on itinerary changes and required to give refunds, it would probably cause fares to go up considerably. If NCL knew before they left Port Canaveral that they were going to change the itinerary I don't think anyone would disagree that they were very wrong. In that case people should have been given the choice to cancel.

Entitlement & Greed

They had a very fair offer from the cruise line. They still had a vacation and went to a few places. They were not stranded at sea. No one got hurt. I guess some people are very greedy - want something for nothing (after all they did get a cruise). And feel entitled to get everything back if changes need to be made (there was compensation).

As children, I suspect, some of these same people held their breath until they turned blue or threw tantrums when they didn't get their way. To the complainers:

Put on your big girl/boy panties and say thank you for refunding the port charges and giving me the extra perks. (NCL offered wine and got back whine.)

My sentiments exactly.

Have you contacted your congress person and senator yet? Just curious. You want some sort of "bill of rights" for cruisers I'm thinking. With all that's going in in the world today I'd think that would be far down on their list of issues to deal with. You do realize that, if cruise lines are are given restrictions on itinerary changes and required to give refunds, it would probably cause fares to go up considerably. If NCL knew before they left Port Canaveral that they were going to change the itinerary I don't think anyone would disagree that they were very wrong. In that case people should have been given the choice to cancel.

If congress got involved at all, fares would go up even before they enacted any law at all.

PE

Did they know about the change before they left the homeport? I have not seen anything about that in the story. IF they did know prior to leaving, they could have posted a notice that the ports would be changing and given passengers the opportunity to bow out.

The people I think I do feel sorry for were the ones whose family had arrived in St. Thomas by other means to see the couple get married. Now, that's a hard pill to swallow. For the rest, still not feeling the outrage.

If a cruise line had to refund the fare every time they missed a port they'd be out of business very quickly. But in the case of NCL that might not be such a bad idea.

why do you say that?

Nita

Nita, me thinks someone took up residence under a bridge ;)

A few years ago we went on a driving vacation where we were to stay in a nice hotel in Washington. My car broke down along the way! I now demand that General Motors pay me back for my hotel deposit. And I want a free new car and gourmet meals for my next trip. If GM does not give me what I want I will call congress the UN and the queen of Spain.

Then once we were planning a trip to Philadelphia to visit family and eat cheesesteaks. The weather was bad and we were forced to land in detroit. I now demand mother nature, american airlines and God to make it up to me.

Sorry to rant...my point is that sometimes unexpected things happen and you have a choice. Get over it and make the best of the remaining time on vacation. Or be miserable and enjoy nothing.

If you really, really need to be in a certain place on a certain day--to buy cheap booze, to do your Christmas shopping, to (for heaven's sake) get married--you don't go by cruise ship and then wail mightily when you can't port as planned.

Unless you're embarrassingly uninformed, totally unreasonable and ludicrously self-absorbed.

Wow, if you have enough money to book a cruise to go Christmas shopping, I just can't really feel sorry for you. Really, who does that three weeks before Christmas? That was a gift to self for the people taking the cruise. Then they could bring back trinkets and say "Look what I bought for you, special from my trip the Caribbean."

Oh to have that problem that I get stranded on a strange island in the Caribbean when I go Christmas shopping;)

I am wondering about the mail and phone calls to the congress and senate, when the person who takes the call hears "Yes, it is an emergency that I speak to Congressman/woman xxx, my cruise was ruined because my cruiseports were changed. It is an outrage. Something MUST be done about this right away." Do you think the letter or call will even get through with a bunch of laughs??? Seriously people, you do know you are going to be laughed at, right??

What did you lose? Your voice while screaming at the top of your lungs for a free cruise? A night's sleep pondering how to get back at NCL? Extreme emotional distress? Hives? PTSD? Come on!!! I don't think Congress is going to put this at the top of their legislative agenda any time soon.

Archived