Room at the front of the ship

Stardancer68

You will definitely feel more rocking and rolling at the front of the ship. We always book mid-ship to aft for a smoother ride.

As a new cruiser, I would recommend you try to book mid or aft for a better cruising experience. For me, it would be worth extra $$ to get away from the front of the ship.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

We have sailed on alot of different cruise lines but nothing was worse than Princess Lines. We booked a room with queen size bed but because we booked early we had a guarenteed up-grade. DO NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS. They can put you anywhere on the ship and you cannot change this room. The room we were put in was at the front of the ship with the running track going past our window. Needless to say, we had to keep the curtains shut all the time.

We also had 2 bunks in our room (not in the room we booked). They stuck out 1 foot into the room and with the twin beds pushed together it left no room to get out the sides of the bed.

I hit my head 3 times and then complained only to have them separate the beds.

Upon return, I complained to Princess and with alot of patience and e-mails and phone calls over a 3 month period, we received a $400 ship board credit for another cruise.

MAKE SURE YOUR ROOM DOES NOT HAVE BUNKS. YOU WILL BE SORRY

Stardancer,

We have had cabins at the front of the ship a few times and never had a problem. If you are not prone to sea sickness you want even notice. Depending on the ship, it might be good for some exercise - our last cruise was on the Star and we had a forward cabin. Had to walk all the way to the stern to get breakfast!:D

Enjoy the cruise

Ted

We were in the forward-most cabin on Aloha deck 14 on the Island for a Panama Canal cruise. Loved it!! My husband has been seasick on small boats in the past, but had absolutely no problem on the Island. We had great views and did not notice "rocking and rolling" other than a very pleasant sensation of being rocked gently to sleep at night.

As far as a guaranty cabin, you can always call Princess after you are assigned a cabin. If there are other cabins available in the same category, you can be moved. If you are sure you want the cabin you originally book, you can uncheck the "accept automatic upgrades" box and you will not be moved.

Not much more movement but my aunt thinks the room was smaller(compared to other Princess rooms she's been in) do to getting closer to the front, is that true or are all rooms the same, or is it the layout that made things small, btw we were on the Lido Deck all the way in the front inside cabin

We have sailed on alot of different cruise lines but nothing was worse than Princess Lines. We booked a room with queen size bed but because we booked early we had a guarenteed up-grade.

Sorry, but I've never heard of this. Has anyone else?

We were in E114 on the Emerald in October. It was an upgrade-unobstructed view. It turned out to be right at the top of the stairs going from the Promenade Deck (7) up to the Emerald (8) to get around the bow of the ship. It was fine-no extra rocking-and, it was near the front stairs/lifts which were very convenient. And, the best part was that we could get our laptop signal (Wifi) because the satellite or whatever, was at the front of the ship!! Yes, there were extra beds on each side of ours, but they weren't in our way. They were high enough.Our beds were together. The head was under the window.

The fun part was that we could see out our window at all the people going up and down the stairs but the windows are tinted so they couldn't see inside. (I did figure out how to see in, though). And, I could knock on the window on deck to let my husband know I was there if or when he was in the cabin. We did get our exercise going to the dining rooms but figured out that it was faster just to go outside and walk the deck rather than go through the inside with all its twists and people.

I hope this helps. Lynne

We have sailed on alot of different cruise lines but nothing was worse than Princess Lines. We booked a room with queen size bed but because we booked early we had a guarenteed up-grade. DO NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS. They can put you anywhere on the ship and you cannot change this room. The room we were put in was at the front of the ship with the running track going past our window. Needless to say, we had to keep the curtains shut all the time.

We also had 2 bunks in our room (not in the room we booked). They stuck out 1 foot into the room and with the twin beds pushed together it left no room to get out the sides of the bed.

Upon return, I complained to Princess and with alot of patience and e-mails and phone calls over a 3 month period, we received a $400 ship board credit for another cruise.

Never mind when someone complains but you should at least get your facts straight. First of all there is no such thing as a guaranteed upgrade. There is a guaranteed cabin catagory booking option but this has absolutely nothing to do with when you book. It is a option either you or your travel agent select and not "awarded" by Princess based on booking date. Having sailed alot of different cruise lines I would think you would know that.

Never mind when someone complains but you should at least get your facts straight. First of all there is no such thing as a guaranteed upgrade. There is a guaranteed cabin catagory booking option but this has absolutely nothing to do with when you book. It is a option either you or your travel agent select and not "awarded" by Princess based on booking date. Having sailed alot of different cruise lines I would think you would know that.

well, now I am wondering if I will be moved. I hope not. We are due to sail on the 6th (this coming Sun. )

We are in a mini suite but somewhere in the back of my mind I think I checked the box that said It would be ok to upgrade us. Does this mean they would take us out of our booked room and put us somewhere else not as desirable ?

I was thinking maybe they would upgrade us to a suite.

Needless to say I am confused for sure.

well, now I am wondering if I will be moved. I hope not. We are due to sail on the 6th (this coming Sun. )

We are in a mini suite but somewhere in the back of my mind I think I checked the box that said It would be ok to upgrade us. Does this mean they would take us out of our booked room and put us somewhere else not as desirable ?

More times than not, if in fact an upgrade occurs, it is within the catagory say BC to BB or BA Also what Princess considers an upgrade may not be viewed as an upgrade by the person receiving it. An example might be booking a cabin near midship(if that is important to you) and being "upgraded" to a cabin a deck up but all the way forward.

I'm not really convinced that forward rooms feel more movement, at least from my experiences. Have been forward and midship on rough seas and rocked & rolled on both, but nothing unbearable.

Maybe you were not on the ship pictured below.

75029046_BayofBiscay201Jan09.jpg.531839ec9e9d97ad9f00bafed50a1067.jpg

Don't listen to that one poster, who obviously doesn't know what he's talking about, or else was told the wrong thing by his TA. You either book a guarantee or a specific cabin. If you book a specific cabin (like we've done for our past few cruises), you can mark your booking "no upgrade," or else tell your TA to insist that you don't get moved unless you okay an upgrade.

I suffer from motion sickness, but we had a far forward cabin (an inside) on our Alaskan cruise. Didn't have any problems.

We were in E114 on the Emerald in October. It was an upgrade-unobstructed view. It turned out to be right at the top of the stairs going from the Promenade Deck (7) up to the Emerald (8) to get around the bow of the ship. It was fine-no extra rocking-and, it was near the front stairs/lifts which were very convenient. And, the best part was that we could get our laptop signal (Wifi) because the satellite or whatever, was at the front of the ship!! Yes, there were extra beds on each side of ours, but they weren't in our way. They were high enough.Our beds were together. The head was under the window.

The fun part was that we could see out our window at all the people going up and down the stairs but the windows are tinted so they couldn't see inside. (I did figure out how to see in, though). Yes, I know how from experiance, see below. Just use your hands to block out the brighter outside lights And, I could knock on the window on deck to let my husband know I was there if or when he was in the cabin. We did get our exercise going to the dining rooms but figured out that it was faster just to go outside and walk the deck rather than go through the inside with all its twists and people.

I hope this helps. Lynne

On one of our first cruises which was on the old RC ship, Song of Norway, we had a OV that overlooked the walkway on the outdoor Promenade deck and DW was concerned that others walking out there could see in to our cabin. She sent me out there to check that out and I reported back that everything was fine as the window had a reflective coating that didn't allow the inside of our cabin to be viewed from the outside.

At that time we didn't know that the coating only worked that way if it was much brighter out than in the cabin. A couple evenings later, when it was dark out, we were out strolling out on that Promenade deck and went by our cabin which had it's light on and the curtain not drawn and the inside was quite viewable. DW just calmly said " I may have given others quite a show over the previous few evening" and she made sure those d**m curtain were well drawn at night from then on.

Yes, some of the cabins we have had did have bunks that are mounted on the wall and do stick out. We've seen that on Sea Princess The better design is having the bunks come out of the ceiling. Typically with these you really don't see any difference from a two person cabin when the bunks are up other than there is an rectangular outline in the ceiling where the bunk or bunks are located.

Don't listen to that one poster' date=' who obviously doesn't know what he's talking about, or else was told the wrong thing by his TA. You either book a guarantee or a specific cabin. If you book a specific cabin (like we've done for our past few cruises), you can mark your booking "no upgrade," or else tell your TA to insist that you don't get moved unless you okay an upgrade.

I suffer from motion sickness, but we had a far forward cabin (an inside) on our Alaskan cruise. Didn't have any problems.[/quote']

I believe that poster was trying to indicate that the default with a Princess booking is that you will accept an upgrade. You must check the box indicating you don't want your cabin changed or have your TA add this to your booking.

The box on the Princess direct online booking page you probably checked off shows the following so your cabin shouldn't be changed .

I prefer to keep my selected stateroom rather than accept a free upgrade if the option becomes available.

Yes, you could be upgraded to the next class of cabins or you could be assigned a less desirable location in the same class which the cruise line considered is an upgrade in category.

We had the most up front cabin on deck eight for our last Alaska cruise on Radiance of the Seas. The schedule called for that ship to sail from Sitka at maximum speed, in the range of 25 knots in mostly open Pacific waters for just over one full day, in order to pass Surge Narrows between Vancouver Is. and the BC mainland at high tide which was necessary if we were to use the inside passage route. The captain warned us that is would be a rough ride as the seas were extremely high. It wasn't too bad in the MDR that evening but we couldn't use the front staircase as the ship up and down movement was at least two feet there and the movement was even worse in our cabin. I felt like we were going to be thrown out of our bed that night but we survived intact.

That is and was the only time I let someone pick a cabin for us. Supposedly he was to get us an interline deal on that sailing. NOT!

Archived