Reserving "guaranteed" category question

wrxrob

I'm planning to reserve the highest category of inside cabins, which is category "II". There are no specific staterooms that I can reserve, just "guaranteed"

Question is, do cruise lines overbook? And if "II" category is not available what would happen? If they placed me in a less desirable location, could I negotiate with the clerk prior to boarding.

I'm planning to reserve the highest category of inside cabins, which is category "II". There are no specific staterooms that I can reserve, just "guaranteed"

Question is, do cruise lines overbook? And if "II" category is not available what would happen? If they placed me in a less desirable location, could I negotiate with the clerk prior to boarding.

First of all, there is no 'negotiating' with the check in staff, they have no way of moving you to another cabin in their computers, this is just not possible on Princess. If II is booked (overbooked), you would be moved up to a higher category, but you actually have no choice where they move you to when booking a guarantee. Once assigned a specific cabin, if there happens to be other available cabins 'in that same category' you can usually get your stateroom assignment moved, but it must be in the same category as you were assigned. And this would also be done as soon as your cabin is assigned IF there is still availability. Do not wait until you board, as by then, chances are there won't be any choices to move to left. ;)

If they overbook this category, or one below it so that they heed 'your' cabin, they would 'upgrade' you to the next higher level...Which in this case is obstructed view OV. It's a gamble some make because they want that upgrade...EM

If they overbook this category, or one below it so that they heed 'your' cabin, they would 'upgrade' you to the next higher level...Which in this case is obstructed view OV. It's a gamble some make because they want that upgrade...EM

Or sometimes more than just one level higher.

First the most likely thing to happen is you will be assigned a cabin in the II category. If you are not satisfied with that type of cabin, then reserve a cabin category you will be satisfied with - do that now.

If you happen to be assigned a cabin in a different category it will be a higher category. I don't know what you consider a "less desirable location" but by booking a guarantee you are agreeing to receiving any cabin at that category or higher, regardless of location. As Toto said, once you are assigned a cabin you may do a lateral shift to an available cabin in that category. For instance we received a BC cabin assignment toward the bow of the ship and our TA found there was a BC cabin available closer to our preferred dining, and was able to switch us.

There are no negotiations with the clerk,, however one can request a cabin change from the Pursor once on board. Be advised that most cruises sail full, and there is often a waiting list for cabin changes.

They tried to pull this on us recently. On the Crown we did a B2B and had the same room booked with a no upgrade flag. When Princess linked the cruises they took the no upgrade flag off. We had an II and they tried to give us an obstructed view four decks down and a smaller room. They were quite deffiant when I refused it and I had to get my TA involved to get it straightened out.

I booked the lowest cost obstructed view on the Coral recently (category HH) and the only option was a guaranty---no choice of cabin. Does this mean all of the cabins in HH are booked?
It means you are guaranteed an HH cabin, or better. Even after final payment, people's plans change and they have to cancel, so cabins do become available.

Archived