Children falling overboard

kazbar

My signature photo was our balcony on the Westerdam. Its solid sturdy plexiglass. No falling through the railing possible. I'm 5 ft 6 in and it came up to my rib cage. It would take some serious effort on the kids part and some bad parenting to fall over.

The child did not fall from a balcony.

Are the cruise lines charging full fare for babies?

A baby pays the same fare as an adult. If the baby is the first or second passenger, the baby is the third or fourth passenger, then the baby is charged the same reduced rate an adult would be charged as the third or fourth passenger.

Are the cruise lines charging full fare for babies?

It depends on the cruise line and whether they have any specials. Sometimes a 3rd person can travel for free and other times they must pay the 3rd person fare.

Hank

An "official report" is one from people trained in investigation and actually do conduct the investigation. Not one from a bunch of lay people who are reporting what they heard, not what they actually witnessed. For example, remember how the first reports from Sandy Hook were wrong. Also, the initial report on this case was wrong (the child did not fall from the balcony). This is the reason hearsay testimony is not allowed in court.

In absence of an "official report" did a toddler fall from one deck to one below?

Regardless. A toddler fell somewhere, right? I would conclude that an irresponsible adult should have been a bit more responsible.

But, in absence of an "official report", maybe the cruise line is responsible.:rolleyes:

Please ...... give it up.

In absence of an "official report" did a toddler fall from one deck to one below?

Regardless. A toddler fell somewhere, right? I would conclude that an irresponsible adult should have been a bit more responsible.

But, in absence of an "official report", maybe the cruise line is responsible.:rolleyes:

Please ...... give it up.

As I said before, you are forming your judgement without knowing all the facts.

Can we keep a sense of perspective here?

One child fell from one deck to another. Terrible as this must have been for the parents, it was not a tragedy. Although this necessitated the ship's return to port, fortunately, he/she was not seriously hurt.

Nobody went overboard. As far as I am aware (through extensive on-line searches) no child has ever fallen off a cruise ship. Compare this to the number of adults who go overboard (intentionally or by accident) every year.

This incident was probably the result of a momentary lapse of supervision by one parent. It does not call for a segue about bad parenting. Nor does it mean that cruise lines need to examine their alcohol package policy or their policy about the age of babies allowed to cruise (as someone suggested on another thread).

Having seen the railings on a number of cruise ships, I find it hard to see how a child could climb between those railings and fall - a child's head is almost a big as an adult's head and the gaps seem too small for it to happen. However, cruise lines may need to re-assess that distance, to comply with regulations about the spacing of rails on cots, which must not be more than 4 inches apart.

One child fell from one deck to another. Terrible as this must have been for the parents, it was not a tragedy. Although this necessitated the ship's return to port, fortunately, he/she was not seriously hurt.

Nobody went overboard. As far as I am aware (through extensive on-line searches) no child has ever fallen off a cruise ship. Compare this to the number of adults who go overboard (intentionally or by accident) every year.

This incident was probably the result of a momentary lapse of supervision by one parent. It does not call for a segue about bad parenting. Nor does it mean that cruise lines need to examine their alcohol package policy or their policy about the age of babies allowed to cruise (as someone suggested on another thread).

Having seen the railings on a number of cruise ships, I find it hard to see how a child could climb between those railings and fall - a child's head is almost a big as an adult's head and the gaps seem too small for it to happen. However, cruise lines may need to re-assess that distance, to comply with regulations about the spacing of rails on cots, which must not be more than 4 inches apart.

Are you kidding me? If the railings are too wide apart "they may need to re-assess that distance , to comply with regulations". I think that is a given!

I do think that since this is a very rare occurrence that looking at the part that a new alcohol policy or package played if any is also valid.

Looking at why is how this can be prevented in the future.

One child fell from one deck to another. Terrible as this must have been for the parents, it was not a tragedy. Although this necessitated the ship's return to port, fortunately, he/she was not seriously hurt. ..................

QUOTE]

Really? According to news reports the child was injured severely enough that he was airlifted to a Children's Hospital (I believe it was in the Orlando area). We have not seen any later reports on the childs current condition.

I do think that since this is a very rare occurrence that looking at the part that a new alcohol policy or package played if any is also valid.

You keep bringing up the alcohol policy. Do you have any indication at all that alcohol was involved? ANY alcohol. This father could have been cold sober for all you know so I have to wonder why you keep saying that a new alcohol policy might be a contributing factor to the incident.

Anything is risky these days, but if your the type of parent who thinks ahead for safety decisions, you are probably going to be more savvy than most when it comes to keeping your children safe, and you know that you still need to stay right there with toddlers in the majority of situations.

As someone who has logged over 200 hours in the courtroom as an expert witness in child abuse cases, it's hard for me to imagine that this parent was proactive in terms of safety. Unless some far out fluke thing happened and there was a construction or engineering flaw on the balcony, I seriously DOUBT this child was supervised carefully.

I'm sure many will think I am being cruel and non empathetic, but there's the parent's side of the story, the cruise line's side of the story, and somewhere in the middle is maybe the truth. And I hope the parents were not at fault.

I haven't followed the story carefully, but I hope Child Welfare officials from wherever are helping with an investigation. Not sure how that would work if it happened over international waters, but I hope the whole thing is handled appropriately and the cruise line doesn't try to save publicity by covering it up.

And I hope the child didn't suffer some sort of internal head injury or likewise.

Does it happen? Can it happen?

My husband and I want to take our 3 young children on a cruise.

I went on one many, many years ago (around 20 or so) and my DH has never cruised.

He is worried sick that one of the children will slip and fall under the railing and fall overboard.

Can anyone tell me something (or show me photos) that can help him (and me a little bit) believe that this isn't going to happen?

- Karen :)

One child fell from one deck to another. Terrible as this must have been for the parents, it was not a tragedy. Although this necessitated the ship's return to port, fortunately, he/she was not seriously hurt. ..................

QUOTE]

Really? According to news reports the child was injured severely enough that he was airlifted to a Children's Hospital (I believe it was in the Orlando area). We have not seen any later reports on the childs current condition.

The child was discharged from hospital after only one day. So, not seriously hurt.

You keep bringing up the alcohol policy. Do you have any indication at all that alcohol was involved? ANY alcohol. This father could have been cold sober for all you know so I have to wonder why you keep saying that a new alcohol policy might be a contributing factor to the incident.

Take a minute and go back and read what I really wrote. ;)

Take a minute and go back and read what I really wrote. ;)

I read what you wrote. You asked if the new alcohol policy or package played a part. Since the thread is about this incident the assumption is that you are equating the two. I asked you why you would think this since you mentioned it twice. So again, my question to you is do you have any reason to assume that alcohol (a drunk parent) was the cause of the accident. Otherwise, why would you feel it is a valid reason to rethink it? If you don't think the parent was drunk then what would the new alcohol policy have to do with anything.

Are you kidding me? If the railings are too wide apart "they may need to re-assess that distance , to comply with regulations". I think that is a given!

Looking at why is how this can be prevented in the future.

Notentirelynormal here it is one more time just for you. Note in the 2nd paragraph. ("if any" are key words)

The last sentence explains that discovering the reason "why" something occurred is how steps can be taken to prevent it in the future.

Archived