Children falling overboard

kazbar

Does it happen? Can it happen?

My husband and I want to take our 3 young children on a cruise.

I went on one many, many years ago (around 20 or so) and my DH has never cruised.

He is worried sick that one of the children will slip and fall under the railing and fall overboard.

Can anyone tell me something (or show me photos) that can help him (and me a little bit) believe that this isn't going to happen?

- Karen :)

The children are too smart to fall overboard. Only drunk adults and people committing suicide fall overboard.

Really, I cannot recall a single incident of a child falling overboard from a cruise ship.

I can't really picture a child falling over a railing. I have some pretty adventurous nephews, though, so I could imagine them climbing over a railing. Just keep an eye on them and you'll be fine. Also, avoid balcony cabins until they get older.

Here are some pics in case they help. Of course every ship is different, and there are even multiple types of railings on each ship.

ry%3D480

This is the Norwegian Jewel. Some of the railings have vertical metal stiles like those directly behind my sister here. Others are like those on the far side of the stairs - waist level (or higher) plexiglass (?) so you can see through them but they're completely safe. Still others are like those at the right edge of the picture - plexiglass as high as your head, with narrow breaks so you can take pictures.

ry%3D480

This is the RC Grandeur of the seas. Note how the railing tilts toward you. This will make it harder for the kids to climb. Also note the full height plexiglass on the right side of the photo.

ry%3D480

This is my BIL with one of the little climbers. See - he's perfectly safe. :)

Unless you have a parent who stupidly is holding the kid on top of the railing, there shouldn't be any problems. We turned down a total refund/upgrade to a balcony moveover offer for various reasons, but the balcony would have been a no-go for us as we had an active 5-yr-old at that time. Just me, overprotective parent.

The closest thing to this kind of incident happened on my 2005 cruise. We had this obnoxious extended family (about 52 altogether) on that cruise. At the last stop, one of the mothers decided to hold her toddler, instead of belting her into the stroller, while going on the gangway off the ship. She had stopped to put her ID away WHILE holding the kid. Ooops, kid into the water below. Had to be rescued. The talk of dinner that night. And she had other kids around her -- while weren't they helping her?

Again, I wouldn't worry. Just be sensible.

You sound like you are a good mother if you are already planning for the safety of your children ahead of time. Just keep an eye on your little tikes when walking on the open decks or sitting on a balcony and you and your husband should be fine. Depending on their ages you can also check them into the kids program during the day leaving time for you and your husband to enjoy a little adult time on the cruise too.

If you haven't cruised in 20 years you are in for a very pleasant surprise. Cruises have changed over the span of twenty years going from ships that only offered suffle board to the ships of today that offer rock climbing walls, miniature golfs course, ice skating rinks, etc.

Enjoy your cruise!

You can't reallty just 'fall' off a ship; you have to either be doing something really stupid/or be drunk or purposely climb on a railing and jump. Even then, often you'd just fall to another deck.

The balcony railing on most ships are solid (usually plexiglass) and high. I'm 5'3" and they come to mid-chest level on me. Sometimes they slant inwards as well. If your child is a climber, I suppose they could get up on a chair and then climb on the balcony, but who would let them?

But, anyone with a 3-year-old would be with them at all moments anyway, right? I would never leave a young child on a balcony alone or let them 'run around' deck without me close behind.

We did just get off the Navigator and actually saw a 'father' (I use the word loosely) holding his baby, about 10 months or so, casually over the railing while talking to someone else. Ack!

Thank you everyone. I feel much better about it now. :)

I am not worried about my children climbing the railing and going over the top but I was a little concerned that they may be able to slip underneath.

My memories of the railing on my cruise 20 years ago were that of a wooden handrail on top with wire strung 3 or 4 times horizontally below (im not even sure if my memory is correct or if having 3 children in 19 months has turned my brain into custard LOL :D)

Once again, thank you. I hope you all have wonderful cruises.

(im not even sure if my memory is correct or if having 3 children in 19 months has turned my brain into custard LOL :D)

Well it is a well documented fact that having children steals IQ points. You only get them back after the children reach their 20s.;) At least that's what my mother says.:p

Keep asking your questions. It's best to ask instead of assume. We don't mind answering.:)

Well, just to express a different point of view, there is no way I would take a young child (under 5) on a cruise if s/he was at all like my younger DS (who has amazingly made it to age 23) ... he could climb anything, he had no fear, he was extremely strong and incredibly fast, and it was a very dangerous combination, not to mention exhausting. I'm talking about a child who could climb out of his crib (or his playpen) at the age of 9 months. And it didn't take him long to figure out how to get out of his stroller, either. Thank goodness he never figured out the car seat. (we had it double-rigged)

We worried about him all the time ... which I suppose is one of the reasons he never did - we did it for him!! :rolleyes: Still do ...

Well, just to express a different point of view, there is no way I would take a young child (under 5) on a cruise if s/he was at all like my younger DS (who has amazingly made it to age 23) ... he could climb anything, he had no fear, he was extremely strong and incredibly fast, and it was a very dangerous combination, not to mention exhausting. I'm talking about a child who could climb out of his crib (or his playpen) at the age of 9 months. And it didn't take him long to figure out how to get out of his stroller, either. Thank goodness he never figured out the car seat. (we had it double-rigged)

We worried about him all the time ... which I suppose is one of the reasons he never did - we did it for him!! :rolleyes: Still do ...

Yes, I had two like that.

Both climbed out of their cots by 9 months, crawled at 6 months and were walking by 10 months. I'm not boasting - it was a nightmare, as they had no fear.

One day, when they were 5 and 3, I found them both on the roof of our house! They had taken up small buckets of water with them and were seeing how fast the water ran down the sloping roof. To get there, they had climbed a concrete block wall 8 feet high, walked along a correspondingly high gate and then boosted each other up onto the roof.

They were quite obedient, once we specifically told them not to do something ("do not go on the roof again") but would often try things I had not thought of. I don't think I would have cruised with them, either.

Both survived to adulthood, although with many broken arms on the way. :eek:

Unlike her brothers, DD was not a climber, but she was also without fear. Fortunately, we taught them all to swim (or stay afloat) by a year old. When she fell off a small boat, aged 3, she was totally unconcerned, except that her cup of hot chocolate (she held on to it, even when in the water) had somehow become a cup of seawater. :D

Somehow, we all survived the growing-up process, although not necessarily still sane at times.

Thank you everyone. I feel much better about it now. :)

(im not even sure if my memory is correct or if having 3 children in 19 months has turned my brain into custard LOL :D)

Well, you know what they say....."insanity is hereditary....you get it from your kids!" Don't worry, the kids won't be in any more danger than being at the mall. My nephew has survived several cruises and if that boy could make it through a cruise without going overboard, any kid can.

• 1 year later...

It was reported that a one year old fell to a balcony below onboard a cruise ship recently. A cruise ship is not a safe haven for tots. I would suggest to any parent who insists on taking a small child onboard to refrain from drinking and hold tight to your child. There's not a safe sense of security on land, so don't relax too much at sea.

Lets be real honest and judgemental (sometimes appropriate). Without even knowing all the facts this must be bad parenting because, otherwise, it could never happen. A 14 month old (or any young child) should never be left alone on a balcony and should be constantly watched. If the toddler was able to climb to the top of the rail and fall (unlikely) then the child was not properly supervised. If an adult dropped the child this would also not be good parenting.

Hank

Archived