Carry on or rolling cooler for soda?

bunchesofun

I was originally thinking of putting the soda in a regular carry on. I see that they say that coolers can not be larger than 12"x12"x12". Would that include a rolling cooler as well? They look almost just like a regular carry on but the dimensions are 13 1/2"x9 1/2" x 19". (Smaller than the dimensions they give for carry ons). I see rolling backpacks also with the same dimensions. I wondered if they just didn't want those two handled coolers like you take camping. Any thoughts?

On our first cruise we took a softsided rolling cooler that had a push down handle. We rolled it through with soda in it with no problem. The only downfall for us is that is is an extra item to lug around. For all of our other cruises we have used a collapsable soft-sided cooler that folds down and we put into the suitcase. It holds about 24 cans if you squeeze them in. We never take that many drinks though so we have plenty of room for ice. The drinks we take go into our checked bags. When the cruise is over and the drinks are gone, it folds back down and it goes back into the suitcase. We have found that to work very well for us.

Tina

I always take a case of bottled water in a carry on sized rolling suitcase, I pack a soft sided cooler in my bigger suitcase, if you squish it down it takes next to no room. I drink all the water and then never have to worry about having a place to carry all the things I buy on the trip.

I give our steward 20.00 at the beginning and ask him to keep it topped off. The reason why I tip him ahead is because I'm asking him to do a service that is not required of him, not to bribe him as some have suggested.

Keeps me happy, always have ice cold water, keeps hubby happy as he doesn't have to worry about how we are getting my purchases home.

Cheers and have a good time!! Carole

In December we put a 12 pack of drinks in a checked luggage - made it through. DD took a rolling cooler through carry-on. She had put clothes in it, claiming it as a suitcase. It did make it through after much scrutiny. We're not sure if we will try it next time or not.

Has Carnival changed their rules about putting sodas, water and beer in checked luggage? On our first cruise in 2005 we carried it on in the cooler but all other cruises on carnival and RCCL we have checked it through with no problem. Last year we were on RCCL and had no problem but this summer we are on Carnival and would like to find out for sure.

Tina

Has Carnival changed their rules about putting sodas, water and beer in checked luggage? On our first cruise in 2005 we carried it on in the cooler but all other cruises on carnival and RCCL we have checked it through with no problem. Last year we were on RCCL and had no problem but this summer we are on Carnival and would like to find out for sure.

Tina

yes, the rule is 12 nonalchoholic drinks in your carry on only.

Iv heard of a few times if you decided you wanted to check them in your luggage, the porters made you take out all the drinks before they would check them.. to me its easier just to follow this rule.. its not really that hard to me.

one 750 ml bottle of wine per adult is also allowed in your carry on.

I don't recall hearing about soft drinks being confiscated from checked luggage. As a matter of fact, they confiscated liquor from my checked luggage and left a 12 pack of soda.

New rules.

ALL allowed beverages, including soda, must be carried on....

Not permitted in checked luggage.

It's the luck of the draw whether they find it or not....but they're catching most now with their new scanners....

New rules.

ALL allowed beverages' date=' including soda, must be carried on....

Not permitted in checked luggage.

It's the luck of the draw whether they find it or not....but they're catching most now with their new scanners....[/quote']

This was recently, under the new rules. They don't seem too concerned about soft drinks when they're looking for clothes irons, steamers, immersion heaters, liquor, etc.

I was originally thinking of putting the soda in a regular carry on. I see that they say that coolers can not be larger than 12"x12"x12". Would that include a rolling cooler as well? They look almost just like a regular carry on but the dimensions are 13 1/2"x9 1/2" x 19". (Smaller than the dimensions they give for carry ons). I see rolling backpacks also with the same dimensions. I wondered if they just didn't want those two handled coolers like you take camping. Any thoughts?

You will not be allowed to take that on board. They are very strict about coolers because the insulation prevents proper security screening. If you can't take it back to the car they will confiscate it and it will be gone when you return from your cruise a week later. It will not be held for you to pick up.

This was recently, under the new rules. They don't seem too concerned about soft drinks when they're looking for clothes irons, steamers, immersion heaters, liquor, etc.

They are definitely finding the sodas in the checked luggage, but they don't care. (probably just looking for beer smugglers)

We packed a small suitcase in November, with just sodas.(basically, just to see how the new security measures reported in here were working)

It got opened by security and checked, then sent on to our room, with a note, that Security opened our bag to check something seen on the scanner and that everything was fine. Please enjoy our cruise.

Bill

They are definitely finding the sodas in the checked luggage, but they don't care. (probably just looking for beer smugglers)

We packed a small suitcase in November, with just sodas.(basically, just to see how the new security measures reported in here were working)

It got opened by security and checked, then sent on to our room, with a note, that Security opened our bag to check something seen on the scanner and that everything was fine. Please enjoy our cruise.

Bill

Very true! They are NOT enforcing their very own rules with soda/pop, water etc. in checked luggage for whatever reason. We were called down to open our luggage as they thought it was locked (it wasn't & never is). Opened it up, water & soda right on top in big ziplocs. They said, OK thanks, enjoy your cruise...and sent us on our way. They missed the plastic flask packed within. :o

I had a cooler taken just a couple of months ago as it was 14" wide instead of 12". The screener actually had a 12" ruler and was checking all coolers closely. There was another couple there loosing thier colapsable cooler as well as it was too large.

Can you bring 2 12 packs or soda or water to the port, put a luggage tag on them, and have them delivered to your room? We did this on NCL's Pride of

America and had no problem. We acrually duck taped them together. Also, can you bring a 12 pack of soda back from a Port of Call and bring it to your cabin?:confused:

Archived