Why do you bother to cruise?

blitznbobs

With so many whinges about so many aspects of cruising I'm not sure why some of you bother to cruise at all. What with the food in every restaurant being awful, the entertainment being dreadful and the boats being crowded. Not to mention the issues with dress code.it seems like an expensive way to be miserable to me.;)

Perhaps staying at home might suit you better?

I must confess it isn't our favourite holiday any longer - though it used to be - but it's an inexpensive way to getting to some of the places we want to visit, or, as in the case of our cruise next month, a cheap way of getting some winter sun.

So instead of mainly cruises and the occasional land based holiday, we now do land based holidays, with the odd cruise.

With so many whinges about so many aspects of cruising I'm not sure why some of you bother to cruise at all. What with the food in every restaurant being awful, the entertainment being dreadful and the boats being crowded. Not to mention the issues with dress code.it seems like an expensive way to be miserable to me.;)

Perhaps staying at home might suit you better?

We love cruising:D! As one of our family has a fear of flying it's the perfect way for us to travel and holiday.

We've never found anything seriously enough amiss to complain about, well apart from the attitude of some of our fellow passengers but that's a whole different thread:eek:. Yes there have been things that weren't perfect but to be honest they were just niggles and not worthy of mentioning.

Roll on the 2012 itineraries being released!

Debbie:)

I only got into cruiseing in 2008, tryed it for the first time as i am not keen on flying! Well i can say ive never looked back, don't think i could pick out a fault if I tryed.

And what an amzing way to travel and see the world in style!

Started cruising in 2002 after much persuasion by my husband, now 14 cruises later and still counting we love it. We have had the odd land based holiday but find the different destinations, quality of dining and the entertainment outweighs any niggling problems. We have never had cause to complain about any ship we have been on, some we liked better than others. However, I think if you go on holiday whether a cruise or land based holiday, with an open mind and a smile on your face you will have a good time :)

Aside from just loving being on board a ship, the moaners are everywhere anyway, evenin in land-based hotels - just ignore them, unless you are feeling mischievious in which case you can contradict everything they whinge about !

It IS no bother to cruise for us, we live within reasonable driving distance of the port, any other holiday is a bit of a work up, even a fly cruise is barely worth the hassle of flying.

"Moaners", now what is the difference between a "moaner" & someone who points out legitimate shortcomings? I have pointed out problems like being unable to book the Retreat on Azura as they sell all the places to 1st day arrivals, having to queue for the Italian, lack of deck space on sea days, all these things are true, so is this moaning or making people aware of faults?

I was just about to say the same thing. A moaner to me is someone who complains about absolutely everything no matter what. We had one on Artemis who criticised the Captain about cancelling our tender port, when we could clearly see the tender dropping away by more than 6 feet.

I made a few comments about Azura because I genuinely felt it was a problem and I do hear that the noise has been turned down since we were on board. Even the classical pianist that we talked to said that the noise complaints had been going on for months. So looks like they listened. Wouldn't make me cruise on her again. Prefer smaller ships, but that's my choice.

Quercus, no I don't think that's moaning it's fairly pointing out the downsides as well as the advantages of cruising especially from the UK. No luggage restrictions, none of the dreaded hours in an airport, being stuck in a tin can for anything up to 15 hours and a chance to see different destinations.

Hi

I love cruise holidays and the only gripe I ever had was with Celebrity but even then i had a great time. You get treated like royalty for a week or so, regardless of what type of cabin you have and they prove to be great value. I also like the dressing up aspect, taking two cases and a suitbag:eek:

On the other hand, I do like scruffy, dossing about holidays too,3 weeks in Thailand where i take a holdall containing 4 tops,4 bottoms, 2 cozzies and a pair of flipflops:D

Holidays are what you make them and some folks on hear get too wrapped up in trivial problems:)

Gillian

We only started cruising a couple of years ago and intend doing more- because we enjoy it. There have been times when we have said "that didn't turn out as we hoped", but you know, if you try to look on the bright side and get something positive out of your situation, you'll always have a good time. Anyone who is always looking to find problems on a holiday must live quite a miserable life in general or have booked the wrong type of holiday. What is a problem to one person can be seen as a challenge to overcome to another.

A tip to all - if things aren't going as planned or you are delayed - or whatever, relax and do some people-watching. See how others are dealing with (or not) the situation, learn from them - oh, and be entertained.

Reasons for cruising:- Your alive. You're on a holiday of your choice. You're going to meet some nice people. You're going to be taken, in luxury, well fed and entertained, to new destinations. You're going to have fun.

Started cruising in 2002 after much persuasion by my husband, now 14 cruises later and still counting we love it. We have had the odd land based holiday but find the different destinations, quality of dining and the entertainment outweighs any niggling problems. We have never had cause to complain about any ship we have been on, some we liked better than others. However, I think if you go on holiday whether a cruise or land based holiday, with an open mind and a smile on your face you will have a good time :)

Apart from starting in 01, I could have written this. Spot on.

Gan canny

Dai

Quite simply it is the best and least expensive way of going to the Caribbean,particularly if you go in Nov/Dec.(prices are lower then than for a decent 4/5 star hotel in the Canaries)

We are only interested in fly/cruises and would never consider sailing from Southampton, so a 14 nighter around the Caribbean, flying from Manchester fits the bill.

It's just a great efficient way to holiday. A floating resort at sea. All the perks of a land-based resort with a different view each morning, unpacking your bags once.

And if you want to get off and see some sights you can..

To me it's a modern and safer equivalent of the old back-packing around Europe.

Started at once a year, now up to twice a year. Still undecided between Ventura and Carnival Magic for 2h'11 .

Not fussed about Southampton or fly-cruise, done both and was about the same pain getting to Southampton as to the airport..

Quite simply it is the best and least expensive way of going to the Caribbean,particularly if you go in Nov/Dec.(prices are lower then than for a decent 4/5 star hotel in the Canaries)

We are only interested in fly/cruises and would never consider sailing from Southampton, so a 14 nighter around the Caribbean, flying from Manchester fits the bill.

We look at it the opposite way, we doubt if we will do any more Fly-cruises, but then we live in a convenient place for the port & rather like the couple of days at sea before getting off.

Got to be more painfree going to the port from wherever you live. We drive from Devon. Car gets taken from you, bags get taken from you, unpack once - that's it. Marvellous!

:D

Even easier. Taxi from home. Fast Ferry Isle of Wight to Southampton. Taxi to Mayflower. On board. Less than 2 hours from home :rolleyes:

Airports :mad::mad::mad:

Well my trip to Southampton in the winter was:

Lift to train station. 15mins

Train to Birmingham 1hr 10mins

Wait at Birmingham 20mins

Train Birmingham to Southampton central 2hrs 30 mins

Walked to hotel for overnight

Got lift with fellow passengers from hotel to port.

versus

Taxi/drive to regional airport

Check-in for flight (2hrs before)

Have Breakfast

Called to gate

Off to the Sun...

Airport's are only bad if flying from Gatwick/Heathrow hubs. Never had a problem from Birmingham or Manchester..

We managed our first two while school holidays weren't an issue. Now they are we won't be going on another for many years - too many children on board!

At almost five it's time for our daughter to have some sun, sea and sand holidays, but in very quiet resorts and we'll have our camping trips over the long summer holiday.

So this year it's a cruise equivalent without moving - 5 star All Inclusive hotel but for half the cost of a cruise.

Archived