Booking St. Petersburg with Princess

Donder1

I am reading a lot of good info about private tours in St. Petersburg. I'd like to hear from those who booked a ship's tour with Princess. We are going in June. I just feel better dealing with the ship. I'd like to hear from those who took the two day tour with Princess. Thanks.

With no responses to your post in over 24 hours you might surmise that the overwhelming majority on this board appear to choose private tour operators for the stop in St. Petersburg.

I am among this apparent majority and in fact used a private operator (SPB) on our Princess stop in St. Petersburg last June.

Without knowing you or your cruise experiences I won't question your preference for a Princess cruise but for your information and to keep your post high up on the list I will tell you why I chose a private tour.

My main complaint with ship tours (and airport transfers) is the time wasted waiting for passengers to leave the bus and then get back on for the next stop. With as many as 56 people on a tour bus even if everyone was young and healthy it would take a lot of time. With that many people on a bus you also have a higher chance of people getting lost or delayed in bathroom line-ups.

St. Petersburg has many narrow streets and the traffic is heavy in the downtown and tourist areas. Ther larger buses can not negotiate many of the short cuts and the drivers can't react as quickly to avoid congestion.

The itineraries are set with little opportunity to adjust for personal interests or crowded sites.

The main reason I read about people taking ship tours is that the ship will not sail without them if the ship tour is delayed because of a breakdown or traffic problems.

In my reading of the Baltic boards and the roll calls I have yet to hear of group being stranded because their private operator couldn't get them back before sailing. If this happened even once it would be the kiss of death for the operator as word would get out on these and other boards and their bookings would dry up immediately.

(I can see this happening in the Caribbean where roads are not as modern and guides not as well trained)

Through the roll call for our sailing we were able to join a tour that the organizer limited to 16 people. We had a comfortable mini bus with our own guide who was able to keep us together making sure we saw every site promised. She had a way of getting us past some of the long lineups as a group of 16 is easier to push through a side door than a group of 50 or more. Our driver manouvered through street and into parking spaces as if he was driving a compact car.

There was no problem with obtaining Visas for our tour. Some people are under the impression that if you don't use a ship tour you have to purchase your own visa through a consulate at great expense and time. The Visa is included in the tour price.

There is no delay getting off the ship while the ship tour passengers disembark first. This is a false rumor - at least for the last few years - and it is also illegal under Russian law.

We used the same tour operator for St. Petersburg and Berlin so received a discount for both tours.

With a group of 12-16 people you should pay the same or less than a ship tour with many more participants.

Our 2 days and one evening spent with SPB were wonderful and I would recommend them to anyone with confidence. From reading these boards I know that most of the other experienced operators in STP receive high marks as well.

As you do, I look forward to reading the experiences of passengers who took ship tours to see if perhaps I did miss out on something.

Have a great cruise - it is a wonderful adventure.

We cruised from June 10 - 21. If that is your time period I suggest you take some rain protection and a warm fleece as the weather can still be cool.

912216541_vDRhb-L.jpg

912091672_Cq3nS-L.jpg

I agree 100% with the above..We did a 2 day "active" tour, just my DH and myself this past August with TJ Travel..It was a most wonderful experience. We were able to have the flexibility that only a private tour can provide.While some may have been able to do a similar tour with a small group. I doubt that it can really compare to just the two of us in a well manuvered mercedes with the undivided attention of a personal guide.I'm sure our cost was higher, but this was a trip of a lifetime and trying to save a few $'s here and there made little sense to us..Enjoy however you decide to see this amazing city...

It's been a few years but we toured with Princess. The first day we took 2 tours, one a city type tour and the second in the evening where we went to one of the palaces, had some snacks and watched some performers then on to a restaurant "in the country."

The second day we had a van with a tour guide and driver for 8 hours--for 8 of us and we chose our schedule ahead of time based on their suggestions and revised it that day. Wonderful guide, great time! Probably our best tour ever.

GF loved her 2 day St. P-burg tour with Princess in 2009. She also liked that there was a folklore show onboard the 1st nite.

We did a custom tour w/ SPB that included the Diamond Room at the Hermitage and the Peterhof Palace, both of which are not typically included in either private or ship tours. Our cost was $340 pp for 2 days + tip. Hers was $398 pp + tip if she gave one. Our lunches were xtra.

Private tours in SPB are hassle-free and safe as a ship's tour. I know in some ports it might be better to book a ship's tour for a safety-net depending on area or concern about getting back to the ship on time, but St. P-burg is NOT one of those.

I am reading a lot of good info about private tours in St. Petersburg. I'd like to hear from those who booked a ship's tour with Princess. We are going in June. I just feel better dealing with the ship. I'd like to hear from those who took the two day tour with Princess. Thanks.

You book with Princess and you are booked with cattle. A large bus with many people.... You book private tours and you determine the number in the party. When we took our private tour it was with Spb-tours and Viktoria Rother. This was a group of 12 and the price for 2 days was considerable less than the cruiseline.

There is nobody better than Viktoria and Spb tours. She is honest and good to her word. I arranged a tour through Viktoria and after 25+ cruises nobody has ever provided a better tour than Viktoria. She has more than 1 jealous competitor. Viktoria is fantastic - Our St. Petersburg tour was the best - We talked with many who were on other tour with other companies and everyone we talked with did not get the service we received. Pass it on Viktoria/Spb is the best in St. Petersburg and Germany.

I encourage you to take a private tour.

While in St. Petersburg last August, we did a fast-paced two day tour with SPB Tours. It far exceeded our expectations! I cannot give enough praise to the staff and guides. We toured by minivan with 3 other couples, and the ease of just 8 of us to load/unload at every stop enabled us to cover a large area.

Book with SPB Tours!

I have said this many times already, when you book a tour with any cruise line, you are at THEIR mercy the entire time you are off the ship. They couldn't care less if you had a good time, a great time, a lousy time, they do NOT need your recommendation. They take you out, show you what was promised and bring you back. As long as they cover what was promised in their set time frame, all are satisfied.

Let's be honest, St Petersburg is a fantastic city. It would be a serious fault if one did not have a grand time there, however you choose to see it. That said you can see it, or you can experience it also, and that can only be done thru a private tour company.

We also used SPB tours. Not because their price was the best, not because they had more in their tour, all companies are about the same in those respects. We used SPB because of Viktoria herself, her caring what we wanted to do, her caring that we should have the best time possible, her attention to any and all our our questions and concerns. In other words, or just two words, CUSTOMER SERVICE, something you will NEVER get from the cruise line.

My one main example, on day one of our tour, we had magnificent weather, so parts of our two day tour were rearranged to take advantage of the outside activities, like Peterhoff, the canal boat ride among other things. We were scheduled to for Yusupov's Palace on day one, but that was put off to day two for that reason. As it turned out day 2 was just as spectacular, but who was to know that.

Also, we are of the Jewish faith. We wanted to see a synagogue in St Petersburg as one wasn't included in our itinerary. Without hesitating, Viktoria told us that she will include the Grand Choral Synagogue as an addition to our itinerary. See if any cruise line tour will do THAT????

You will NEVER, EVER have a ship's tour do something like that. As I said, they take you out, bring you back and couldn't give a rat's you know what if you have a grand time.

You do what you want, but since you asked for advice, here it is, do yourself a favor this time, and at least contact some of the private tour companies and see what they have to offer.

Cheers

Len

I have said this many times already, when you book a tour with any cruise line, you are at THEIR mercy the entire time you are off the ship. They couldn't care less if you had a good time, a great time, a lousy time, they do NOT need your recommendation. They take you out, show you what was promised and bring you back. As long as they cover what was promised in their set time frame, all are satisfied.

Let's be honest, St Petersburg is a fantastic city. It would be a serious fault if one did not have a grand time there, however you choose to see it. That said you can see it, or you can experience it also, and that can only be done thru a private tour company.

We also used SPB tours. Not because their price was the best, not because they had more in their tour, all companies are about the same in those respects. We used SPB because of Viktoria herself, her caring what we wanted to do, her caring that we should have the best time possible, her attention to any and all our our questions and concerns. In other words, or just two words, CUSTOMER SERVICE, something you will NEVER get from the cruise line.

My one main example, on day one of our tour, we had magnificent weather, so parts of our two day tour were rearranged to take advantage of the outside activities, like Peterhoff, the canal boat ride among other things. We were scheduled to for Yusupov's Palace on day one, but that was put off to day two for that reason. As it turned out day 2 was just as spectacular, but who was to know that.

Also, we are of the Jewish faith. We wanted to see a synagogue in St Petersburg as one wasn't included in our itinerary. Without hesitating, Viktoria told us that she will include the Grand Choral Synagogue as an addition to our itinerary. See if any cruise line tour will do THAT????

You will NEVER, EVER have a ship's tour do something like that. As I said, they take you out, bring you back and couldn't give a rat's you know what if you have a grand time.

You do what you want, but since you asked for advice, here it is, do yourself a favor this time, and at least contact some of the private tour companies and see what they have to offer.

Cheers

Len

Seconded. Congrats on becoming a grandad Len !

• 3 weeks later...

Our previous Baltic cruise was 10 years ago. At that time we did take the Princess 2 day excursion in SPB. I don't remember details off the top of my head, but it was your basic city tour with all the major sights included. Our guide was a historian who had worked as a reporter and extremely knowledgeable, with interesting insights about the city. We did not feel like cattle and were never herded anywhere. We met other people over the 2 days who we enjoyed talking with. We had plenty of time to explore the sites and enjoy the atmosphere and the local color.

This summer we will take a private excursion with a dozen other people. We will be able to see more places because we've been able to plan it out that way, and we feel we are getting more for our money. I anticipate a great experience, but I also have great memories of the other tour. Much of it depends on your guide and the other people in your group.

So -- it all comes down to your own expectations and comfort level. I don't think you have to automatically reject a ship excursion; just be aware of the differences. Good luck!

Many people are unaware the private guide option is available. I've talked to people who had no idea they had a choice. We have avoided cruise bus trips for years and as soon as we booked the Baltics, we started researching St. Petersburg private companies. We try to see as much as possible in the time we have and private guides are more efficient than any large cruise bus. We greatly enjoyed SPB tours but I think any of companies vetted here here would have been better than the ship offering.

Donder1-

On our 2009 Emerald Princess Baltics cruise, we opted to take the cruise line's shore excursions. On our first day, we took the City tour which included a morning visit to Peter & Paul's Fortress and the Hermitage in the afternoon. On the second day, we visited Catherine's Palace and Peterhof (interior and gardens). We "did our own thing" in most of the other ports (we took the ship's bus to Gdansk) and did not want the hassle of planning St Petersburg. We had no problem with the bus groups as everyone was "mobile" and did not feel like cattle. The cost for both days' shore excursions cost us $70-$100 pp more than if we were to use a local agency if sharing the cost with a group.

Having said that, we are taking a 10 day Russian river cruise this year which gives us a free day in St Petersburg. One member in our group has arranged with one of the local tour agencies to develop a customized 11 hour tour. We are required to secure Russian visas for the cruise since we will be stopping at many small town and villages on our way to Moscow.

If you can align yourself with a group tour, then go for it. If not, the ship's excursion is not too bad.

Archived