One and 1/2 day - Monserrat?

indycrew

We will be boarding the Ruby in June for our Med. cruise. Fly all night arrive Barcelona at 8 AM. We originally planned noon - ? first day to sightsee in the city, on boarding day taking the early train to Monserrat - back after lunch to retrieve luggage and board the ship.

Now we are second guessing ourselves. What do you seasoned travellers think of this idea?

Thanks in advance! ;)

You cannot "see the city" in that short of a time.

Ditto! Barcelona is a spectacular tourist destination.

I can't wait to return in June. I have budgeted 3 full days + 2 evenings to tour in the city, but that will barely scratch the surface. The modernista architecture is a delight inside & out. Treat yourselves to inside tours: Sagrada Familia, Casa Batllo, Casa Mila, and the Palace of Catalan Music. Consider an evening guided walking tour of the Barri Gotic (Gothic Quarter).

Montserrat deserves a full day. Rail + cable car guidelines here: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelona-montserrat.html Getting there is half the fun. http://www.aeridemontserrat.com/op_b1.htm

Once in Montserrat:

• Basilica (ivory crucifix now attributed to Michaelangelo)
  • la Moreneta (Virgin of Montserrat)
  • L'Escolania boys' choir -- schedule here: http://www.escolania.cat/index.php?lg=3
  • Museum - small, but impressive with works by Caravaggio, El Greco, and French Impressionists (Monet, Pissaro, Renoir, Degas, & Picasso)
  • funicular railways:
    • Sant Joan - up to spectacular views
    • Santa Cova - down --> walk the path to the cave chapel

[*]Rosari Monumental -- outdoor modernista sculptures

Bon voyage!

There are lots of different walking tours.

One can also quite easily walk from site to site on your own. The Tourist Office in Placa Catalunya offers one every day at I think 10AM but of course you can also ask at your hotel. It is always a good idea to read about a new city either on line or from guide books at your local book store. My favorite one for Barcelona is the Insight Guide-BARCELONA Step by Step. It has walks for each neighborhood and then a map which shows all the walks in one place.

The evening walking tour you mention, MV Photon? Are there places open? We do have several books - but as we all know, it is great to hear first hand what is great...and what is not. I so love CC because of this!

Archived