Warning!!! AT&T and cruising

cortneyward

So are you saying that for about $60 bucks, you can use your Iphone just like you would in the states. If that is the case, It would be great for me.

That's the tricky part....because the international plans are based on usage and have a cap on what is included. So it would depend on how much you actually use if it would be "just like you do in the states".

There are several international plans to choose from - based on usage. I have always found the international department of AT&T to be helpful. Given them a call and they can help determine which plan will work best for you.

So are you saying that for about $60 bucks, you can use your Iphone just like you would in the states. If that is the case, It would be great for me.

I am not an iPhone person, but I have the impression that the iphone is not that versatile. To do the 'modal' thing you have to be able to remove/replace the sim chip. Can that happen with an iphone?

Also, an ATT iphone is locked to ATT....can/will ATT unlock an iphone to be used on a 3rd party cell provider?

side note: Modal is one of several services that international travelers can use with a GSM phone. Vodafone is another with good services in most countries. Cell services in Europe only charge minutes for outgoing calls....incoming are free. Lots to research and learn here.

I didn't have much knowledge about what features to turn off on my Iphone 3G while cruising to the Bahamas. I called up AT&T and they were extremely helpful and walked me through it all. Settings-Airplane mode-On. Next under General-Network-Data Roaming-OFF (that is the main one to make sure you don't continue to receive emails). Last Mail-Fetch New Data Push-OFF and Fetch off, which I believe is just setting it to manually. I did all this and kept my phone on and was able to receive texts and phone calls. The International department at AT&T had good prices for their international plans, which were per month, and you could cancel after your trip and it would have been prorated. I think it would be beneficial for somebody who would be doing a lot of calling. I asked what the rates were to call from NCL and it was $2.49/minute and in the Bahamas it was $2.29/minute. I think it was like $1.99/minute with the rate plan. Not worth it for how little I was going to use it. I tried to make a phone call from the ship, but had no service. In the Bahamas, it worked great and a total of 14 minutes added up quickly to $32. It didn't seem like I talked that long. The incoming texts are free and outgoing .50/per message. My total bill was only $37 more. I will be on the phone again, just to make sure there are no changes when I cruise again. That is what customer service gets paid for.

After reading all these posts, I am very nervous about my cell phone at sea. I have Verizon, so will call them, but realize that sometimes you get mixed messages from different reps there. Also I have an IPAD, and am wondering if I need to treat this just like the cell phones....turning off airplane mode, roaming, etc etc. I mainly want to use it to read books...

Anybody have an experience with the IPAD at sea????

Rita

After reading all these posts, I am very nervous about my cell phone at sea. I have Verizon, so will call them, but realize that sometimes you get mixed messages from different reps there. Also I have an IPAD, and am wondering if I need to treat this just like the cell phones....turning off airplane mode, roaming, etc etc. I mainly want to use it to read books...

Anybody have an experience with the IPAD at sea????

Rita

I do not have one, but don't think so. Because you are not billed seperately for data on an iPad, right??

But you will have to buy an internet plan on board to have access to the wireless internet services. But even if you don't buy an internet plan on board you would still have access to games, books, etc that are already on your iPad.

There is an alternative, a prepaid cell phone for the country that you are in. Makes sense if you will mostly be in one country I have three quad band unlocked GSM phones tucked away. You buy a local SIM, around $15 in Mexico, plug it into your phone, buy $10 or $20 credit with it, and then you have a Mexican cell phone, with a Mexican phone number. No issues with Cellular at Sea. I emailed my temporary phone number to family. Last time I used Movistar in Mexico, a little better pricing, although Telcel has better coverage in rural areas. The other providers have limited coverage. I have also done this in Argentina and Chile.

I had some business to conduct back in the states on a recent cruise, and took advantage of a deal that allowed calls to the US, up to 15 minutes, for around $3. I made several long calls to the USA without running out of credit. I even made a long call from the deck of the boat as it was pulling out of Huatulco. Another time I left the phone with my wife when I went to shore for a half day excursion; I was able to call her from land to ask her to meet me. Only works in port or perhaps in sight of land.

What does Quad band unlocked GSM mean? Quad band phones will work almost anywhere in the world, including Europe, the US, and Mexico. US Canada and Mexico use different frequencies than the rest of the world, which is why you need quad band. Unlocked means that you can use it with any provider. GSM is the worldwide standard to mobile phones. You can buy a phone like that for $25 on Ebay.

If you have an AT&T or T-mobile phone, it will be GSM, then you just need to look up the model to see if it is quad band, and get it unlocked. If you have been on contract for a while, your phone provider in the USA should be willing to unlock it for you. Or maybe you have an old GSM phone in the drawer.

Is it worth it? It depends on how much you need to call home, or if you need to coordinate with other members of your party. You can certainly live without it, especially with internet cafes being almost everywhere.

Richard

i also think that it is cellular data as well, but on the iphone4 there is this under the data roaming (which is always off on our phones) "turn data roaming off when abroad to avoid substantial roaming charges using email, web browsing and other data services."

I get that same message under DATA ROAMING on my IPAD. So if I turn it off, does that mean if I read books or play games on it while cruising I will be safe with no additional charges

Hi I've cruised to Bahamas, Grand Turk...

I DIDNT have a phone that has internet I did receive texts and make a few calls.....bill was reasonable....is this because no internet service?

I'm thinking of getting I-Phone.....but I will have Verizon....Is this the same as AT&T with charges.

Not computer saavy.....would hate to have crazy fees.....maybe I'll wait to get the phone till after my April cruise.

Thanks

Kerri

I know the title of this thread is for AT&T, but those of you with smartphones NOT on AT&T also need to pay attention.

Unless you are on AT&T or T-Mobile, you do NOT have a sim card. Any of the discussions related to "removing or changing" a sim card do not apply to people of Verizon, Sprint, etc. In the USA only AT&T/T-Mobile use sim cards.

If you have a "data plan" with your company, then you need to think hard about what you do when on the ship. Whether you have a smartphone, dumb phone, feature phone, whatever - if you have a data plan, you need to think.

Even if you have an unlimited data plan, you STILL need to think about what happens on the ship! "Unlimited" does not included shipping that data over the water to your boat.

If you have a smartphone, if you do nothing then all the time your phone is on, it is sending and receiving data. You may not know it, but it is. Just because your phone has darkened the screen, or gone into a Locked mode, it is still sending/receiving data. Keep this in mind if you think you will only turn on the phone when you need to make a call. As soon as you turn on the phone, a blast of data will be transmitted, which you will have to pay for.

Going into "airplane mode" turns off all radios on your phone - no calls, no texts, no data. You phone becomes just an MP3 player or handheld game player. As long as you stay in airplane mode you have no fear about data charges. The problem comes in when you shay "I will drop out of airplane mode just for a minute, to check my voicemails..." While you are innocently checking voicemail, your phone will also be sending/receiving megabytes of data, which you will have to pay for.

I am not familiar with a way to turn off data while leaving your phone able to make and receive calls and texts. You will need to read your phone documentation or discuss with your carrier.

If you bring your phone but only to use in emergency, either go into airplane mode and leave it there, or turn the phone off completely. There is no need to remove the battery.

The more advanced discussion concerns smartphones with WiFi capability. If your boat has wifi I guess you could choose to pay that fee and you could connect your smartphone by wifi instead of using the cellular data. Beware, however, that smartphones will automatically switch to using the data, if wifi drops out. So if you are in a dead zone for wifi, your phone will move to using the data, usually without asking you. There may be a way to keep this from happening - see your phone documentation or call your carrier.

I get that same message under DATA ROAMING on my IPAD. So if I turn it off, does that mean if I read books or play games on it while cruising I will be safe with no additional charges

you will be fine. If in doubt take the SIM card out.

I love my iPhone and use it for all kinds of things on cruises. Flashlight, alarm clock, music, Kindle reading etc... as long as you go to Settings and turn on Airplane mode you won't have a problem with data or phone charges.

By the way - for Blackberry it isn't called "Airplane Mode" but you can do the same thing by going to the main screen on your Blackberry and selecting the “Manage Connections” icon (looks like an antennae), you can then click on the heading that says “Turn All Connections Off” and your phone will be set for use in airplane mode. What this setting actually does is it disables all voice and data access and you can continue to use any other applications on the device that do not require a data connection.

I love my iPhone and use it for all kinds of things on cruises. Flashlight, alarm clock, music, Kindle reading etc... as long as you go to Settings and turn on Airplane mode you won't have a problem with data or phone charges.

By the way - for Blackberry it isn't called "Airplane Mode" but you can do the same thing by going to the main screen on your Blackberry and selecting the “Manage Connections” icon (looks like an antennae), you can then click on the heading that says “Turn All Connections Off” and your phone will be set for use in airplane mode. What this setting actually does is it disables all voice and data access and you can continue to use any other applications on the device that do not require a data connection.

But this is only a good option if you DO NOT want to receive calls or text messages. If you want the iPhone to still work as only a phone (no data) then you need to follow the steps listed in previous threads and turn off the data roaming and cell data. Because if you do not turn them off and it gets taken out of airplance mode, even by accident, data will be downloaded :eek:.

Turning off the data roaming and cell data features will allow you to still receive calls and texts as well as using any non web based applications that are on your iPhone.

I guess they're reading the cruise critic e-mails, because, after this thread was highlighted in the Cruise Critic e-mail today, I received THIS from AT&T:

AT&T knows that the mobile Internet on your Apple® iPhone® is indispensable to you. That’s why we want to remind you that international data usage is not covered under your existing U.S. data plan.

Your iPhone provides access to email, Visual Voicemail, Web browsing and other applications that can use a significant amount of data. It’s no surprise that you might find yourself using more data than you thought.

The good news is that now, when you're traveling outside the U.S., you can save money on your international data usage by signing up for one of AT&T’s newly created Data Global Plans with low rates in more than 100 countries.

spacer.gif

If you want to place calls but not use data:

Turn Data Roaming "OFF". By default, the setting for international data roaming will be in the "OFF" position. Turning "OFF" data roaming blocks email, browsing, visual voicemail and downloads, but it will not block text or picture/video messages.

spacer.gif

To turn data roaming "ON/OFF", tap on

Settings>General>Network>Data Roaming

When abroad, international roaming rates apply when you send text or picture/video messages.

To access audible voicemail when data roaming is "OFF", tap on

Phone>Voicemail (International roaming voice rates apply.)

Utilize Wi-Fi instead of 3G/GPRS/EDGE - Wi-Fi is available in many international airports, hotels and restaurants to browse the Web or check email.

If you want to use data but not receive email automatically:

Turn Fetch New Data "OFF" - Check email and sync contacts and calendars manually instead of having the data pushed to your iPhone automatically. This way you can control the flow of data coming to your iPhone.

spacer.gif

To turn off the Auto-Check functionality tap on

Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data, Change Push to "OFF" and select option Fetch Manually

Utilize Wi-Fi instead of 3G/GPRS/EDGE to download and manually check email: Wi-Fi is available in many international airports, hotels and restaurants.

If you want to use data and track your usage while abroad:

Consider Purchasing an International Data Package: Purchasing an international data package can significantly reduce the cost of using data abroad. AT&T now offers four discount international data packages. The 20 MB package is $24.99 per month, the 50 MB package is $59.99 per month, the 100 MB package is $119.99 per month, and the 200 MB package is $199.99 per month. See
att.com/worldpackages for details and international roaming rates. To add an international data package, call 1-800-331-0500.

Reset the usage tracker to zero - When you arrive overseas, access the usage tracker in the general settings menu and select reset statistics. This will enable you to track your estimated data usage while abroad.

spacer.gif

To reset Usage Tracker to Zero tap on

Settings>General>Usage>Reset Statistics

spacer.gif

My husband is a customer service rep for Verizon and he has had several instances of customers who went on cruises and wound up with VERY large bills because they didn't shut off data roaming functions. Unfortunately there is little that can be done in most cases - your cellular carrier will require you to pay the bill. Sometimes the rep can switch you to an international data plan for that billing cycle and then switch you back so that instead of several thousand dollars (potentially) it's several hundred dollars.

My iPhone and his Droid will be turned off once we get on the ship.

I guess they're reading the cruise critic e-mails, because, after this thread was highlighted in the Cruise Critic e-mail today, I received THIS from AT&T:

AT&T knows that the mobile Internet on your Apple® iPhone® is indispensable to you. That’s why we want to remind you that international data usage is not covered under your existing U.S. data plan.

Your iPhone provides access to email, Visual Voicemail, Web browsing and other applications that can use a significant amount of data. It’s no surprise that you might find yourself using more data than you thought.

The good news is that now, when you're traveling outside the U.S., you can save money on your international data usage by signing up for one of AT&T’s newly created Data Global Plans with low rates in more than 100 countries.

spacer.gif

If you want to place calls but not use data:

Turn Data Roaming "OFF". By default, the setting for international data roaming will be in the "OFF" position. Turning "OFF" data roaming blocks email, browsing, visual voicemail and downloads, but it will not block text or picture/video messages.

spacer.gif

To turn data roaming "ON/OFF", tap on

Settings>General>Network>Data Roaming

When abroad, international roaming rates apply when you send text or picture/video messages.

To access audible voicemail when data roaming is "OFF", tap on

Phone>Voicemail (International roaming voice rates apply.)

Utilize Wi-Fi instead of 3G/GPRS/EDGE - Wi-Fi is available in many international airports, hotels and restaurants to browse the Web or check email.

If you want to use data but not receive email automatically:

Turn Fetch New Data "OFF" - Check email and sync contacts and calendars manually instead of having the data pushed to your iPhone automatically. This way you can control the flow of data coming to your iPhone.

spacer.gif

To turn off the Auto-Check functionality tap on

Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data, Change Push to "OFF" and select option Fetch Manually

Utilize Wi-Fi instead of 3G/GPRS/EDGE to download and manually check email: Wi-Fi is available in many international airports, hotels and restaurants.

If you want to use data and track your usage while abroad:

Consider Purchasing an International Data Package: Purchasing an international data package can significantly reduce the cost of using data abroad. AT&T now offers four discount international data packages. The 20 MB package is $24.99 per month, the 50 MB package is $59.99 per month, the 100 MB package is $119.99 per month, and the 200 MB package is $199.99 per month. See

att.com/worldpackages for details and international roaming rates. To add an international data package, call 1-800-331-0500.

Reset the usage tracker to zero - When you arrive overseas, access the usage tracker in the general settings menu and select reset statistics. This will enable you to track your estimated data usage while abroad.

spacer.gif

To reset Usage Tracker to Zero tap on

Settings>General>Usage>Reset Statistics

spacer.gif

Ever feel like "big brother" is watching?? :eek:

Glad that they sent it out.....again. This is the information I have always been provided when I have called the international travel department.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. There is a wealth of information here and I cut and pasted to my packing list what I needed to know about the settings on my iphone for international traveling. Now I have the information I need at my fingertips.

Ever hear of "airplane mode"? It lets you use the phone as an alarm clock, etc. but disables all the phone and data.

It's too bad that happened, but you have to realize that if people could just surf the net on their smartphone, no one would buy the expensive internet service on the ship.

So using phone wifi is just like making calls, even if you don't realize you are sending or receiving data, you still can be.

I do think you will wind up paying a lot of money to the cruise line's cell company, but hopefully they will give you a break. If not, just keep that data plan suspended... you don't need it!

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. There is a wealth of information here and I cut and pasted to my packing list what I needed to know about the settings on my iphone for international traveling. Now I have the information I need at my fingertips.

Yes, I too would like to thank all who enlightened us. I just got my first Verizon iPhone 4 yesterday...my very first smartphone. Can't tell you how much I appreciate this thread and will be sure to have my checklist with me before our next cruise. I will also double check with Verizon. Even with our feature phone on the last couple of cruises we got a text from Verizon when we entered international waters. It amazed me that they knew we were not in the states :D

Two weeks ago, to prepare for my cruise, I called AT&T to discuss charges. I told the lady I would be cruising to Mexico and asked the charges. She gave me rates for calls ($2.49 per minute) and texts (.50 each) and told me I could have found that information on the internet. I used the phone for an alarm clock basically since it was locked in the safe on sea days and dead battery while in Mexico. I had turned the wifi off but still had emails and facebook messages coming through, which I did not open. On Friday, sea day, I returned to the room to find a text from AT&T saying my data was suspended to call them. Upon doing so, I spoke with a female who basically told me that I was misinformed as I had a $4000 phone bill. She was very understanding and tried to sign me up for an international data package which would be backdated and cover everything for $120. I wasn't happy about paying that for a service I didn't agree to or use, but it's actually feasible for me to pay that vs $4000. However, once she connected me to international services, I was informed that international packages don't apply to cruise lines. I was told my ONLY option is to wait until my bill comes out and try to work things out then. Yesterday, I called and had my data restored. This morning I had to call again as my service was suspended again. I was unable to even call my voicemail. I will know in about a week the outcome. Hopefully it will be positive as I absolutely cannot pay $4000. Just wanted to warn others of my experience so that no one else will have the same problem

I just returned from the Smooth Jazz Cruise and I did what you did-called AT&T at least a week before I boarded the ship and was given pretty much the same info by their representative that you were given.

However, I had read about another Cruise Critic member's plight with his/her cell phone bill while cruising and decided to turn my cell phone off until I left the ship @ St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, before I turned it on again to contact my family.

I have viewed my cell bill online and all appears to be in order.

There should be something written for AT&T customers regarding cruise ship rates and international calling rates (on & off the ship, as this may differ). To be safe - I'd just turn the cell off, unless it's absolutely necessary to make a call. Get your wake up calls from the desk.

Lewsyl

Two weeks ago, to prepare for my cruise, I called AT&T to discuss charges. I told the lady I would be cruising to Mexico and asked the charges. She gave me rates for calls ($2.49 per minute) and texts (.50 each) and told me I could have found that information on the internet. I used the phone for an alarm clock basically since it was locked in the safe on sea days and dead battery while in Mexico. I had turned the wifi off but still had emails and facebook messages coming through, which I did not open. On Friday, sea day, I returned to the room to find a text from AT&T saying my data was suspended to call them. Upon doing so, I spoke with a female who basically told me that I was misinformed as I had a $4000 phone bill. She was very understanding and tried to sign me up for an international data package which would be backdated and cover everything for $120. I wasn't happy about paying that for a service I didn't agree to or use, but it's actually feasible for me to pay that vs $4000. However, once she connected me to international services, I was informed that international packages don't apply to cruise lines. I was told my ONLY option is to wait until my bill comes out and try to work things out then. Yesterday, I called and had my data restored. This morning I had to call again as my service was suspended again. I was unable to even call my voicemail. I will know in about a week the outcome. Hopefully it will be positive as I absolutely cannot pay $4000. Just wanted to warn others of my experience so that no one else will have the same problem

I never use an alarm clock to wake me. All you have to do is call the pursers desk and schedule a wake up call! ;)

flyingb

I just returned from the Smooth Jazz Cruise and I did what you did-called AT&T at least a week before I boarded the ship and was given pretty much the same info by their representative that you were given.

However, I had read about another Cruise Critic member's plight with his/her cell phone bill while cruising and decided to turn my cell phone off until I left the ship @ St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, before I turned it on again to contact my family.

I have viewed my cell bill online and all appears to be in order.

There should be something written for AT&T customers regarding cruise ship rates and international calling rates (on & off the ship, as this may differ). To be safe - I'd just turn the cell off, unless it's absolutely necessary to make a call. Get your wake up calls from the desk.

Lewsyl

Ok...I think I am confused :confused:. There are LOTS of things in writing....from AT&T and Carnival explaining that there are additional charges for international services.

If you contact the international travel department of AT&T they direct you to their international travel web site that has all of the info that is in post #114 on this thread. PLUS the individual ports of call pricing, pricing for the cruise ships and the packages available for voice and data usage.

Unfortunately.....some people (not referring to the OP) do not take the time to research it and then come here to complain about the charges for services that chose to use! :rolleyes:

Leave your phones at home or locked up somewhere on shore--you are on vacation! As for meeting up with people--set up a time and place...you are sleeping in the same place you will find each other eventually :p

Easy to say.....but often it's just not that easy. There are MANY valid reasons for needing to have contact with those at who are at home :rolleyes:.

Archived