Better Crew to Passenger Communications Needed on Insignia

PaulMCO

I would like to make this observation about the Captain and Crew communication on our recent trip (14 Jan – 5 Feb) Rio to Valparaiso aboard Insignia.

I have posted a complete review of the trip in the review section of Cruise Critic. Summary -- We enjoyed our cruise immensely and we actually canceled a Holland America Cruise and signed up on board for the Capetown to Singapore cruise for later this year -- because we enjoyed ourselves so much on this one.

However this thread topic is the lack of Crew to Passenger Communications on this Voyage and that definitely needs improvement aboard Insignia.

Many of Oceania Captains are foreign (Italian) with English as a second language. Our Captain (Fulvio Calandro) at 12:03 gave his ships status everyday in a very boring manner. I could have given it -- just fill in the blanks – with current position, speed and distance to/from past/next port. This is the only time we ever had communication from the Captain.

We had several incidents and changes to the itinerary that were made. For all of this there was little communication about cause of these changes that upset many passengers. I make this “generalization” that many people were upset from discussions with passengers we met plus discussions while waiting for our flight home at the airport in Santiago.

There were several incidents that better communications should have been a priority of the crew --

• Our tender to the Falkland’s was canceled – despite a “normal” sunny day. The master's excuse was "weather/safety." We later learned the real cause.
  • Our three day cruise in Antarctica was reduced from 3 days to 1 1/2 days – no mention why.
  • It was expected that we would enter the harbor of Deception Island. Our lecturer thought so and then was informed by the ship staff that we would not.
  • The trip through the Chilean Fjords was very rough. Swells were 15 to 20 feet and MANY passengers and crew were seasick.

Let me take each point separately.

The Falklands --- Falklands tendering is always an issue as 40% of the cruises have to cancel. The weather was a “normal Falklands nice day” --Windy but Sunny. We were to do a private tour and we were waiting in the Lounge with a first tender ticket. The anchor was going down not once but 5 times or more while we waited. Eventually Willie Aames our Cruise Director came into the lounge and announced we were to be delayed because of the weather (windy). Eventually the Captain came an announced that he has suspended the tendering and would wait for the wind to die down. The ship was definitely having an issue remaining in fixed position. The waves were not an issue at most 3 feet. At around noon it was announced that our stop was canceled due to “safety concerns.”

So what really happened? We later found out when many people saw the ship personnel replacing an anchor. We lost our anchor in the Falklands during one of the attempts to set it and that is why we were not stable. Missing the Falkland was a MAJOR disappointment to ALL. It was a key reason why many came on this trip in addition to Antarctica. The lack of communications and rumors were a major source of passenger discontentment.

Antarctica. The Captain took his time heading for Antarctica. Whether it was a ship issue or rough seas – no mention. The issue was is that they have revised the itinerary and the order cutting the time in half.

Deception Bay. We thought we were going to enter the harbor area of Deception Bay as did our lecturer. We did not and no reason was ever given.

Rough Seas. When you encounter rough seas it affects both passengers and crew. We had really bad seas for around 36 hours. Many were sick and the white bags were around the ship and were used by many passengers AND Crew. Now of course there is medicine that does reduce or eliminate this and this has to be taken 2 to 4 hours before. Of course in the spirit of past no communications from the bridge (yes I am being sarcastic), no advance warning was given.

I know personalities of Crew and the communications skills do vary (from the chatty to the quiet). I know that the Captain was new to Insignia as was the CD. There were many new staff on board as many of the crew are now on Marina. But there needs to be changes to Insignia to improve communications to the passengers. If the Captain does not do this then is should be a lower level officer or even the Cruise Director to do this.

I would have been upset with the lack of communication. Unacceptable.

However, I do not think the fault lies with the Captain (other than to the extent he sets the tone and others follow his lead). I want the Captain steering the ship. The noon announcement is plenty for me.

I think the fault lies with the Cruise Director. The CD is the main source of information for most passengers and the CD should have made sure that accurate information was being conveyed on a regular basis. The CD has his daily TV show, the public address system, the microphone at the evening show and the ability to generate paper updates -- a whole range of arrows in his/her quiver to make sure that passengers know what is going on.

The Captain should have made sure the CD was doing the communicating -- but the CD is the key communication person IMO.

I would have been upset with the lack of communication. Unacceptable.

However, I do not think the fault lies with the Captain (other than to the extent he sets the tone and others follow his lead). I want the Captain steering the ship. The noon announcement is plenty for me.

I think the fault lies with the Cruise Director. The CD is the main source of information for most passengers and the CD should have made sure that accurate information was being conveyed on a regular basis. The CD has his daily TV show, the public address system, the microphone at the evening show and the ability to generate paper updates -- a whole range of arrows in his/her quiver to make sure that passengers know what is going on.

The Captain should have made sure the CD was doing the communicating -- but the CD is the key communication person IMO.

I agree completely.

I would like to make this observation about the Captain and Crew communication on our recent trip (14 Jan – 5 Feb) Rio to Valparaiso aboard Insignia.

I have posted a complete review of the trip in the review section of Cruise Critic. Summary -- We enjoyed our cruise immensely and we actually canceled a Holland America Cruise and signed up on board for the Capetown to Singapore cruise for later this year -- because we enjoyed ourselves so much on this one.

However this thread topic is the lack of Crew to Passenger Communications on this Voyage and that definitely needs improvement aboard Insignia.

Many of Oceania Captains are foreign (Italian) with English as a second language. Our Captain (Fulvio Calandro) at 12:03 gave his ships status everyday in a very boring manner. I could have given it -- just fill in the blanks – with current position, speed and distance to/from past/next port. This is the only time we ever had communication from the Captain.

We had several incidents and changes to the itinerary that were made. For all of this there was little communication about cause of these changes that upset many passengers. I make this “generalization” that many people were upset from discussions with passengers we met plus discussions while waiting for our flight home at the airport in Santiago.

There were several incidents that better communications should have been a priority of the crew --

• Our tender to the Falkland’s was canceled – despite a “normal” sunny day. The master's excuse was "weather/safety." We later learned the real cause.
  • Our three day cruise in Antarctica was reduced from 3 days to 1 1/2 days – no mention why.
  • It was expected that we would enter the harbor of Deception Island. Our lecturer thought so and then was informed by the ship staff that we would not.
  • The trip through the Chilean Fjords was very rough. Swells were 15 to 20 feet and MANY passengers and crew were seasick.

Let me take each point separately.

The Falklands --- Falklands tendering is always an issue as 40% of the cruises have to cancel. The weather was a “normal Falklands nice day” --Windy but Sunny. We were to do a private tour and we were waiting in the Lounge with a first tender ticket. The anchor was going down not once but 5 times or more while we waited. Eventually Willie Aames our Cruise Director came into the lounge and announced we were to be delayed because of the weather (windy). Eventually the Captain came an announced that he has suspended the tendering and would wait for the wind to die down. The ship was definitely having an issue remaining in fixed position. The waves were not an issue at most 3 feet. At around noon it was announced that our stop was canceled due to “safety concerns.”

So what really happened? We later found out when many people saw the ship personnel replacing an anchor. We lost our anchor in the Falklands during one of the attempts to set it and that is why we were not stable. Missing the Falkland was a MAJOR disappointment to ALL. It was a key reason why many came on this trip in addition to Antarctica. The lack of communications and rumors were a major source of passenger discontentment.

Antarctica. The Captain took his time heading for Antarctica. Whether it was a ship issue or rough seas – no mention. The issue was is that they have revised the itinerary and the order cutting the time in half.

Deception Bay. We thought we were going to enter the harbor area of Deception Bay as did our lecturer. We did not and no reason was ever given.

Rough Seas. When you encounter rough seas it affects both passengers and crew. We had really bad seas for around 36 hours. Many were sick and the white bags were around the ship and were used by many passengers AND Crew. Now of course there is medicine that does reduce or eliminate this and this has to be taken 2 to 4 hours before. Of course in the spirit of past no communications from the bridge (yes I am being sarcastic), no advance warning was given.

I know personalities of Crew and the communications skills do vary (from the chatty to the quiet). I know that the Captain was new to Insignia as was the CD. There were many new staff on board as many of the crew are now on Marina. But there needs to be changes to Insignia to improve communications to the passengers. If the Captain does not do this then is should be a lower level officer or even the Cruise Director to do this.

Paul - well said. We also had a wonderful time - on a cruise of a lifetime! Literally - as mid size cruise ships will no longer be able to travel to Antarctica. We have sailed Oceania 6 times and are booked again for 2012. But I agree - the communications was an issue on this cruise.

We heard the same day in the Falklands that the ship had lost an anchor. One thought was that the Harbor Master would not allow the ship to tender since the ship could not be stablized but I'm not 100% sure. We were very disappointed with not being able to go into Port Stanley and missed a wonderful tour to Volunteer Point. Some guests were concerned about the "rumor" of the lost anchor- but the rumor was a fact. The anchor was replaced in Ushuaia.

Fueling delays also occurred in the bay at the Falklands. We seemed to "rush" the cruising in Antarctica by loosing a day. But regardless - the views in Antarctica were amazing.

We thought the CD did a good job. He seemed to be tapped to "deliver the news" on the delays/changes and sometimes people blame the messenger for the message.

Enjoyed meeting you guys on board! Thanks for starting this thread.

Archived