NCL Sky - Dress code questions

alreadypacked

New to NCL and will be cruising on the Sky at the end of the month.

This is the dress code info from the NCL website:

To give you an idea of what to toss into your suitcase, we've got answers to some of your questions like:

Can I wear something casual to dinner? Do people dress up at night? Can I wear my swimsuit day and night?

The answer to all the above is "yes" - with Freestyle Cruising, you're pretty much welcome to wear whatever, whenever. Our philosophy is "resort casual" and with the widest range of dining venues, tons of entertainment options and bars & lounges, you'll find there are places for your style all over our ships, day and night.

Daytime, it's basically all fine since we know you're probably headed to the pool or out for a fun Shore Excursion. Casual shorts, jeans, tops and sundresses are welcome everywhere. You can even wear your swimsuit to the poolside grill or the buffet.

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style.

We usually bring some dressy clothes on other cruises, but since we heard NCL was more casual, we intended to just bring casual clothes and have a more relaxing vacatiion this time.

The NCL site says that resort casual gets you into every venue at night, but a few lines down it states, "nice jeans are not allowed in all venues"....I'm confused.:confused:

DH wants to bring only khakis, nice jeans, and polo shirts for at night. Will this get him into all the venues on the Sky at night?

Thanks. :)

The only place this matters is the dining rooms, main and otherwise. On the Sky I am pretty sure that jeans are allowed in all of the dining rooms and shorts are allowed in one of the main dining rooms at dinner. If he only brings khakis, jeans, and polos he should be just fine. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks! It's our first time on the Sky (& on NCL in general), and I just want to make sure we can experience all the dining options--I'd hate to get turned away from a venue we were interested in. Since we're new, we just want to be sure we're in line with the rules.

Thanks! It's our first time on the Sky (& on NCL in general), and I just want to make sure we can experience all the dining options--I'd hate to get turned away from a venue we were interested in. Since we're new, we just want to be sure we're in line with the rules.

On the Sun in January Jeans were allowed in all venues. Hopefully it will be the same on the Sky.

Hi there, my wife and I went on the Sky in September and I think when they say nice jeans are not allowed in all restaurants, they're referring to the "cover charge" places such as Cagney's. My wife and I did this one night to celebrate our anniversary. The cover charge is $25/pp if I remember right and I wore khakis and a button down I think. I don't think you're allowed to wear jeans in there. There are one or two other cover charge places that you might have to wear khakis, but I only did Cagney's apart from the main dining rooms. I usually wore a polo or button down tucked into jeans at the main dining room. I hope that helps.

Hi there, my wife and I went on the Sky in September and I think when they say nice jeans are not allowed in all restaurants, they're referring to the "cover charge" places such as Cagney's. My wife and I did this one night to celebrate our anniversary. The cover charge is $25/pp if I remember right and I wore khakis and a button down I think. I don't think you're allowed to wear jeans in there. There are one or two other cover charge places that you might have to wear khakis, but I only did Cagney's apart from the main dining rooms. I usually wore a polo or button down tucked into jeans at the main dining room. I hope that helps.

Ok, great! I think he'll be fine with the khaki's then. DH will be happy.:)

We were on the Sky in December and a couple at the next table in Le Bistro were celebrating an anniversary, we know this because the waiters sang to them and brought them a cake. He was wearing shorts and flip flops. In the main dining room we saw people every night in shorts or jeans (sometimes matched with a baseball cap). Going by this you will be just fine in more or less anything you choose to wear.

The NCL site says that resort casual gets you into every venue at night, but a few lines down it states, "nice jeans are not allowed in all venues"....I'm confused.:confused:

If you Google on "resort casual" and study several examples, I think you will conclude that jeans are generally NOT deemed "resort casual" UNLESS explicitly stated. An example of the latter would be: "Resort Casual, including Jeans."

Any time I see a modifier in front of "casual" (resort casual, business casual, country club casual, smart casual, etc.) I assume that jeans (and shorts) are NOT allowed unless otherwise stated. Exceptions would be casual (with no modifier), street casual, ultra casual, etc., but I rarely see those descriptions in actual practice as they essentially equate to "no dress code." Naturally, this is my opinion and your mileage may vary. :-)

I keep preaching it, but get the pants at Kohl's (or whever you shop) that the legs zip off at the knee. When you get back from your daily activity, zip the legs back on and viola, you have khaki pants on - ready for dinner. Throw on a polo or button up shirt and some shoes and you're ready to go for the evening. Those are the best pants EVER made for cruising. They dry fast when they get wet, and they just look like regular cargo pants when the legs are zipped back on.

I keep preaching it, but get the pants at Kohl's (or whever you shop) that the legs zip off at the knee. When you get back from your daily activity, zip the legs back on and viola, you have khaki pants on - ready for dinner. Throw on a polo or button up shirt and some shoes and you're ready to go for the evening. Those are the best pants EVER made for cruising. They dry fast when they get wet, and they just look like regular cargo pants when the legs are zipped back on.

facepalm.jpg

The Sky is the most casual of all NCL Ships.

I was just on the Epic and they told me they changed the dress code to even allow shorts and jeans in Cagneys and Even the Epic Club. Le Bistro was the only restaurant that required no jeans and no shorts.

So you can wear whatever you want but there is a Le Bistro on Sky so check that one out beforehand in case you want to wear shorts.

I was on the Sky last month. Wore shorts in the Dining Room for lunch and jeans for dinner. There was a formal night. Not many people dressed up. Ship is VERY casual. They took pictures on the night of the formal night. Never went to any of the specialty restaurants. Wore jeans to dinner all five nights. Have a blast, we did! There is a white party one night at 11pm on the pool deck. Bring something white to wear if you can, not required, but its a lot of fun.

Archived