Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I'm really enjoying this thread! I have recently discovered dresses by "outdoor clothing" compaines such as Patagonia, Woolrich, Merrell, etc. I thought these were so perfect for cruising. I found a good assortment at REI and ended up buying a couple of dresses made by prana. No wrinkles, built-in shelf bra (only good for low impact,) and suitable for daytime fun with flip flops or evening dinner with nicer sandals and a wrap.

GLAD you had a GOOD time and your pics are CUTE with the artwork...i do like that cover-up too....i ALWAYS find GREAT stuff in the lingere/sleepwear dept that i dont always use for that ocassion and so many things just WORK!!!

HappyPeach: Dresses w/ shelf bras are a great idea for cruising. There were many on our recent cruise and they look much nicer than jean shorts and t-shirts:cool:. I agree with you about daytime flip-flops and dinner sandals and wrap.

This morning was chilly and a bit windy - not the best conditions for taking the boat out (at our summer cottage)...so...I went shopping!! What a surprise to see fall clothes taking over the racks:eek:. The good news is Macy's had really good sales!

Purchase #1 - Swimsuit top to go with my black tankini bottoms. That gives me 2 different looks.

Purchase #2 - A beach dress! Yay! It has some sewn-on bling that makes it appropriate for casual dinners or as a cover-up to wear around the ship.

HappyPeach: I'll follow your lead and wear gold sandals with it to dinner:).

Purchase #3 - Have you ever looked at a dress on the rack and thought, "It doesn't look all that flattering on the hanger, but it's on sale...can't hurt to try it on." That's what I did and my cruise closet now has another inhabitant. It's one of those easy-to-pack, easy-to-wear dresses.

Purchase #4 - A scoop-neck knit top, colorful and will go with neutral shorts/Capris.

A fun couple of hours yielded some good buys!

When I get a chance to try them on and do some self-photography, pictures will be posted.

Well I took your advice. I got rid of quite a few outfits. Even made the soon to be DH help me pick outifts. LOL! Even during the NBA final game. haha! I told him if he didn't help me eliminate then I would take everything and he would no room! haha! I even packed half of his with half of mine in each bag.

Purchase #3 - Have you ever looked at a dress on the rack and thought, "It doesn't look all that flattering on the hanger, but it's on sale...can't hurt to try it on." That's what I did and my cruise closet now has another inhabitant. It's one of those easy-to-pack, easy-to-wear dresses.

I find this very true with sundresses. Maybe because they don't have a lot of structure, so they don't have as much hanger appeal? It's like on the show "What not to Wear": Just try it on!:D

A couple cruises ago, a young lady kept her beach towel secured to her lounge chair with really cute clips. I went to amazon upon returning home and sure enough, there they were! They're called Boca Clips and come in different styles, all around $7.

If you're a Fashionista by the pool or on a beach lounger, these clips keep your towel from sliding down the back of the chair:

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3C5%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3468%3A%3B5734335nu0mrj

Edited by indiana71

A couple cruises ago, a young lady kept her beach towel secured to her lounge chair with really cute clips. I went to amazon upon returning home and sure enough, there they were! They're called Boca Clips and come in different styles, all around $7.

If you're a Fashionista by the pool or on a beach lounger, these clips keep your towel from sliding down the back of the chair:

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3C5%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3468%3A%3B5734335nu0mrj

My local WalMart sells these for $5 and some change. They're in the "seasonal" section with pool chemicals, swim gear and pool toys. I have a couple of sets (mine look like alligators rather than parrots, though!)

I abssssssooolutely plan out my wardrobe for the week. I need to make sure I have everything I need and I love to put together the perfect outfits.

As my guy doesn't know where we're going/that we're going on a cruise, I also get to pack for him, too!

Awesome thread :)

shannonlianne: Thank you for the kind words! How cool that you get to pack for your guy:). What a fun surprise for him!

I would love to pack for DH, BUT he gets the final say. All the outfits I want him to take get laid out, then he chooses.

I've been wanting yellow shoes for a while now and saw the PERFECT pair at Macy's...but not in my size. After a web search, there they were - on amazon! They're wedges and will go with several casual outfits.

Do you ever get your mind set on one particular item and then have a hard time finding it (if ever)?? How long have you looked to buy the perfect (fill in the blank)?

All the outfits I want him to take get laid out, then he chooses.

Do you ever get your mind set on one particular item and then have a hard time finding it (if ever)?? How long have you looked to buy the perfect (fill in the blank)?

i do the same with hubby and ANYTHING i really want him to wear i ENCOURAGE him more with it....lol...

my thing lately tho is finding a particular item and then realizing after you do it wasnt what you wanted or needed...

i have this cute little short dress (to short for me-but i like to wear with leggings so more like a tunic top--i'm 5'8" tall) and i really WANTED this other color and looked all over for it--yesterday it was in the store and i realized i really didnt like it in person...lol...

i still am searching for that PERFECT Personal Carry-on...i have alot of bags but i just havent found the PERFECT one yet:(

Those beach clips are PERFECTION!

I have a question! Are dressy shorts (black, moderate length) allowed for women in the MDR?? (Please don't stone me! I definitely did try to search but kept coming up with guys asking the question.)

Thanks!

chels08: Hmmmm....black dressy shorts, IMHO, would be acceptable in the MDR - with a nice top, i.e. dressy blouse or something similar and dressy sandals (not flip flops).

I believe Capris or a skirt is a better choice, but that's only my opinion.

Any time you are sitting at a table, the primary fashion statement comes from your waist up, no one sees the bottom half. So your top is what will be noticed and should be appropriate for the dining venue.

Other Fashionista posters - please add your comments.

Thanks, chels08, for asking here.

I dropped off a bag of donations at the local thrift store and looked through the tops in my size - looking first at only the label. If it's one I like, then I look at the item.

This time the label was Tommy Hilfiger and $1.50:)!

A good match for Caribbean Cruising Capris! (even though this photo was taken near our summer cottage.)

232323232%7Ffp%3B37%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D346%3B%3C%3A8%3B%3A7335nu0mrj

Packing for a cruise is different than packing to visit family. We did the 5-night Bermuda cruise with no flight involved. This time we're doing 5 nights and visiting our DS, DDL, & 2 dear grandchildren - AND flying...so packing was more of an issue.

In the carry-on below, I packed EVERYTHING needed:

3 pairs of Capris

1 pair shorts

5 short sleeve tops

1 short sleeve blouse

1 cami

1 skirt

1 sorta dressy top

underwear

pajamas

light weight hoodie

ONLY 1 pair of shoes:eek:

hanging cosmetics bag

swimsuit

...and SHHHHH...DH's golf shoes. (He doesn't know DS arranged a golf date;)). The shoes, literally, take up one third of the suitcase!

My purse is a Vera Bradley, not a tote; and liquids are in the required ZipLoc bag. I will wear Ralph Lauren jeans, knit top, cardigan, wedge sandals.

I'm feelin' good about my pared down packing! Since changing outfits for dinner isn't necessary, that saves tons of space.

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3C%3B%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D34724%3A%3C7%3B%3A335nu0mrj

Wow, Indiana71, you are my hero! I pack more than that for a long weekend at our beach house. And I already have some stuff there like bathing suits, cover-ups, casual wear and flip flops. I must take lessons from you.

So excited, we didn't have anything booked but have decided to take our kids on a short Carnival cruise right before school starts. Hoping to find one out of Charleston since it's only a 4 hour drive. Also gonna finally do the panama canal cruise we've always wanted to. Looking at Holland America 11 day out of Ft Lauderdale. Got to book soon incase DH changes his mind, lol.

We have cruised primarily with Celebrity and HAL. How different is Carnival as far as dressing for dinner? I rarely wear anything but dresses for dinner.

Kim

ourturn: We have only cruised on Royal Caribbean so I can't advise with any certainty. However, friends who have been on Carnival say women wore dresses, dressy Capris to dinner. Men wore Dockers and golf shirts or Hawaiian shirts.

You won't be wrong if you stay with your dresses.

Lucky You! Getting to cruise before school starts:)! We're still counting down from 200+:eek:.

The Panama Canal is one of the best cruises! Passing through, we went only as far as Lake Gatun and then came back. That's what the majority of cruises do, and it's a wonderful experience.

Wow, Indiana71, you are my hero! I pack more than that for a long weekend at our beach house. And I already have some stuff there like bathing suits, cover-ups, casual wear and flip flops. I must take lessons from you.

So excited, we didn't have anything booked but have decided to take our kids on a short Carnival cruise right before school starts. Hoping to find one out of Charleston since it's only a 4 hour drive. Also gonna finally do the panama canal cruise we've always wanted to. Looking at Holland America 11 day out of Ft Lauderdale. Got to book soon incase DH changes his mind, lol.

We have cruised primarily with Celebrity and HAL. How different is Carnival as far as dressing for dinner? I rarely wear anything but dresses for dinner.

We just came back from our first Carnival cruise. I wore a maxi dress or sundress for each of the casual nights. Hubby wore polos and khakies. For elegant nights, I wore cocktail dresses and he wore a suit. Have fun!

By the way, I must say that I'm no fashion expert but here are some of the dresses I wore:D I think the only one missing is a black and purple maxi similar to the black and white one. This time, I really made an effort to coordinate jewelry with my dresses.

341813120_002(2).jpg.369d7445533ca8f0418791774fe85795.jpg

004.jpg.f378e49eca97461bcbcd28bce8fb09aa.jpg

029.jpg.1267a851dd28825fa66213271d9bcf12.jpg

854426475_whitedress.jpg.69c5aa0fe4274bc20088ca81ffe739e6.jpg

861839741_royalbluedress.jpg.f413b8a230db9465cb937055d40caf40.jpg

p-103.jpg.8e1e07d93cc7f372599c440ba7b152f9.jpg

Edited by jkudzu

chels08: Hmmmm....black dressy shorts, IMHO, would be acceptable in the MDR - with a nice top, i.e. dressy blouse or something similar and dressy sandals (not flip flops).

I believe Capris or a skirt is a better choice, but that's only my opinion.

Any time you are sitting at a table, the primary fashion statement comes from your waist up, no one sees the bottom half. So your top is what will be noticed and should be appropriate for the dining venue.

Other Fashionista posters - please add your comments.

Thanks, chels08, for asking here.

Thank you so much for your feedback! I think I'll stick with dresses/skirts/pants, and pack the shorts as a backup ie if I see others in similar style shorts, I'll wear them one night.

Thanks again!!

jkudzu: What great dresses! They are fashionista-worthy AND look like they were fun and comfortable, too:). That's exactly what the Fashionista Filosophy is all about!

A Trip to Minneapolis - One of our sons and his family live near Minneapolis. DH & I fly out there several times a year, June being one of those times. A totally different packing plan (as you saw from my lasted posted photo). No Dinner Dressing every evening cuts back on the amount of outfits.

Packing rules still apply, though. Because my suitcase was full and each item was folded minimally, no ironing touch-ups were needed...meaning more time w/ the family.

By boat, we stopped at a couple lakefront bar/restaurants and, ya know, it could well have been Key West or somewhere in the Caribbean:cool:. Weather couldn't have been nicer, the drinks more refreshing.

A surprise activity was a night at the race track, an event titled Horses and Hops. DS got priority passes so we had a great view of the track from an umbrella table, free beer samplings all evening and placing bets was easy - the "wager attendant" came right to the table! DDL won $49 on the first race, and we all won a whopping $4 each the rest of the evening.

BUT THE OUTFITS were very interesting. I watched one table of couples coming in. The women could have been going to the Kentucky Derby with their big hats and matching outfits. One in particular stood out in her bright yellow sundress, hat and platform heels; and of course, the requisite big sunglasses...but after a couple races, she took off her shoes and walked around barefoot:eek:.

As far as the other attendees, they were dressed in everything from jeans and T-shirts to fashionista approved casual evening attire.

Side Note: What I Took but Didn't Wear - one pair of Capris, 3 short-sleeved knit tops. Better to have more than needed!

QUESTION: Do you wear flip-flops/thong sandals more than any other footwear?

Since jkudzu posted her dresses, I was inspired to try on the one beach dress in my cruise closet and pose for a photo.

Although these knit dresses aren't meant to be formal by any stretch of the imagination, they are fun to wear and look very tropical.

Mine can be worn as shown, w/ gold jewelry and gold wedges to the dining room (but not on Formal Night)...or if going to the beach or pool, I would wear flat gold sandals and gold hoop earrings.

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3C%3B%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D34745%3A7387335nu0mrj

Since jkudzu posted her dresses, I was inspired to try on the one beach dress in my cruise closet and pose for a photo.

Although these knit dresses aren't meant to be formal by any stretch of the imagination, they are fun to wear and look very tropical.

Mine can be worn as shown, w/ gold jewelry and gold wedges to the dining room (but not on Formal Night)...or if going to the beach or pool, I would wear flat gold sandals and gold hoop earrings.

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3C%3B%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D34745%3A7387335nu0mrj

Cute, very cute dress. And so perfect for the Caribbean. OK, can we talk?

Undergarments. With this dress, obviously a strapless bra? Right? And what are you doing for a slip...or is the material lightweight but not see-thru? Slips are becoming my current nightmare for use with my sundresses, because the light is just "right" in the Caribbean to make just about any fabric a see-thru situation. And, I'm just a little too, well let's say not young, for that to happen and be considered appropriate.

My current half-slip just isn't cutting it! First of all, it's polyester and (wow) that is not good for the Caribbean's heat. I want something that will help with the heat, remove the transparency factor, not bunch up around the waist and cause a "line" or "crease" to appear under the sundress! I'm not asking too much, right?

Love the handerchief hem.