Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Indiana71,

Back from my fabulous set of cruises and I wish to thank you tremendously for starting this thread. I would never have thought to be so thorough with planning for each day/shore excursion and, I have to tell you, the planning was such a welcome relief to each busy day! In fact, I didn't really see the need to plan for my sea days, but after experiencing the pure effortless dressing that I did for the evenings and the shore excursions, now I know better and I'll absolutely plan for my sea days as well. :D

As this was the first time that I had done planning to such an extent, let me tell you where I got into some trouble.

#1: I looked at weather.com and saw temperatures that were in the mid-70's with chances of rain in 3 ports of call. In fact, one port had an estimate of 60's with scattered showers. In fact, the weather in Europe was very warm; we had no rain. The port that was supposed to be the coldest was hot, sunny, mid-80's. Wow, what a difference. I had precious luggage space taken up with warm jackets that I just didn't need. That was more of a frustration than a disappointment because, obviously, I loved the warmer weather and beautiful blue skies of the Mediterranean.

#2: I took 4 pairs of dressy shoes because (of course) they were such a lovely accessory for my evenings. I took 2 pairs of casual shoes because one of the dressier shoes could be a cross/over casual type of shoe. Well, I really needed another pair of casual shoes due to the amount of walking in the European ports. I had a pair of Walking Cradles sandals that were perfect for warmer days and a pair of Merrells Siren Sport that were perfect for the cobblestones. I just needed another pair of casual shoes that could be worn with skirts/capris. The Siren Sport are really only appropriate for long pants and it was so darn warm that I really wanted to switch out the longer pants for more capri length, but the shoes wouldn't work. So, now I know I need to hunt for another pair of casual shoes that will work with shorter pant lengths.

#3: Interesting that you mentioned medi/pedi problems. I did bring a nail polish that I could refresh, but I thought that I'd be able to buy polish remover on board ship. Nope. Not in the sundries store. The salon was very accommodating and gave me some polish remover pads so that I could change my nail polish. But, by the end of the vacation, both my mani and pedi looked terrible! Also, I did bring an emery board, but I really needed to have a cuticle tool. Again, the salon was very accommodating and a technician took care of my hangnail for me, but it was touch and go for a while until I took myself to the salon. I was willing to just pay for a manicure at that point, but didn't have to because she was very charming and helpful.

Now, let me tell you what I did right!

#1: Tried on all the outfits. OMG! Thank goodness that I did because I was checking out the outfit and noticed a hole in my Chico's Traveler's pants! You know that fabric is great, up to a point. It does have a tendency to show wear with a shiny spot, kwim? So, in checking out the shine to make sure that it wasn't too, too bad, I noticed the hole! I had to run down to Chico's to buy an emergency replacement! LOL.

#2: I didn't have the wonderful planning system that you've perfected for yourself, so I used my IPod Touch and created a list in that. I used an app called ListPro and just put down all the days; i.e., embarkation days (2), shore excursions (ports named), dining room smart casual (8), etc. So on each day, I listed my outfit and accessories and shoes. This worked great for me.

So, again, thank you, thank you. I'll continue with this effort and get much better at it; I'm sure. I'm reading with interest your planning for your next cruise! My next cruise will also be to the Caribbean, next November! Yeah!

Member123: THANK YOU so much for reporting back:). It pleases me so much to know you were helped by reading this thread. Thank you also for listing what needs tweaking and what went perfectly.

Using your IPod was definitely a great idea. I'm not very techno saavy but reading your post could just inspire me....

AND NOW - packing has begun. In this photo you can see how I layer everything. The tan cami is laid out flat. The yellow and red Bolero cardigans are folded in half underneath. Folding adds wrinkles and is bulky so I do as little of it as possible. The next layer will be tissue paper and then DH's shorts. I'll post more as I proceed.232323232%7Ffp%3A%3C%3A%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D346544%3A953335nu0mrj

Edited by indiana71

Now that we're under 10 days, I can check weather.com for the temperature in Bayonne NJ. Looks like the mid 70s so a summer outfit should be good for the entire day.

You know me, I love bright, fun clothes; so tropical print Capris, a white knit Talbot's top, raspberry Aerosole sandals and some locally made jewelry fit the bill. The big white tote gets to make this trip. Nicknamed "Big Whitey", it was a giveaway several years ago with Lancome cosmetics. Big Whitey will hold Day One essentials like travel documents, some makeup and maybe a pair of heels if I decide to be a little less casual at dinner.

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3C8%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D346544%3A655335nu0mrj

Member123: THANK YOU so much for reporting back:). It pleases me so much to know you were helped by reading this thread. Thank you also for listing what needs tweaking and what went perfectly.

Using your IPod was definitely a great idea. I'm not very techno saavy but reading your post could just inspire me....

AND NOW - packing has begun. In this photo you can see how I layer everything. The tan cami is laid out flat. The yellow and red Bolero cardigans are folded in half underneath. Folding adds wrinkles and is bulky so I do as little of it as possible. The next layer will be tissue paper and then DH's shorts. I'll post more as I proceed.

Indiana71, interesting technique! What size of suitcase and brand are you working with? We are seriously considering replacing some luggage pieces. Not because they NEED to be replaced, but we bought such sturdy cases, with lots of zipper compartments, that their weight is becoming a factor in airline travel. Ours are TravelPro Platinum and the technique that you use with them is also a layering, but with straps that cinch down the clothes into a folded package, kwim? It doesn't look like you have that system in the case that you're using.

I'm so glad that you are showing us this because the one thing that always gives me grief is packing my shoes.

I've NEVER packed so far in advance of a trip! You seriously don't have a problem with wrinkles, packing so far in advance? I always try to keep the clothes in the case as short a time as possible, so usually pack only the day before! Packing sooner would certainly be easier, but... hmmm... I'd have to buy a bunch more underwear! Just a thought.... LOL....

Member123: Funny that you should ask about the piece of luggage. When I retired, a friend gave me a set of Pierre Cardin luggage from Penney's. I used it once with the intention of replacing it with a better quality. Well it's 5 years later and we're STILL using it. The one in the photo is the 28-inch size and it's travelled alot without any sign of wear or tear:cool:.

I do like the new spinners...so maybe after this cruise...

Wrinkles have never been a problem, probably because I use so much tissue paper;). Once the suitcase is packed tight and closed, it doesn't seem to matter whether it's been 1 day or weeks.

There's nothing wrong with buying more underwear - it's one of life's lovely luxuries. Go to Victoria's Secret and stock up! You will feel devine:)!

What to Wear Under White -

IMHO When wearing any outer garment that is white, my undergarments are always beige, tan, champagne, whatever. White underwear shows right through and certainly colors or prints would be seen. But something that is close to the color of your skin looks much better - smooth & even.

Hi there. I've been following this thread and finding it very helpful. DH and I are taking a river cruise in 2 weeks. I've travelled quite a bit and have never lost luggage! However, I'm a little concerned about this trip as we change planes in London. So, I'm thinking of packing half my stuff in DH's bag and vice versa. Indiana made reference to this in her post and I'm wondering how this works out. Do you pack a few nights and days in each other's bag or do you pack half and half. We each have a 28 inch bag. I don't think I can reduce this to a 24 inch carry on and I think I'm a pretty efficient packer.

Would love to hear your comments. Love your outfits! And to be so organized.... Nora

noraloui: Welcome to the thread! Thank you for the nice comments.

If you pack a few nights and days for each of you in both, that should suffice in the event that a piece of luggage is lost.

I put everything DH and I will need in the "Cruise Room" and then pack some of his and some of mine in each piece of luggage, keeping outfits together as I pack. That makes it easier to unpack, too.

Reducing to a carryon would be my last resort if you are really concerned about misplaced suitcases.

Fashionistas plan in advance so we can put together the outfits we like, have plenty of changes and don't take items we won't wear.

Good luck!

DH and I have talked about taking a river cruise. Please come back and post a review:).

I should have taken my own advice!

At the end of last summer I bought a pair of bright yellow Capris at Coldwater Creek. (There's always something cruise-worthy there:cool:!) Since the Capris aren't going on the next cruise, I wore them for a Memorial weekend picnic. They were totally wrinkled by the end of the evening:(. And they aren't linen or supposed to have that wrinkly look.

Whenever I find a cruise clothing item; before trying it on, I take a bunch of the fabric and ball it all up...and if it wrinkles, the item goes back on the rack. Unless it is absolutely perfect, it just isn't worth the extra care to pack and the rumpled look after a short time on my body.

So follow the suggestion and see if those pants, shorts, skirt, dress, whatever passes the balled-up-wrinkle test.

have ENJOYED reading this thread!!

i LOVE to plan for the cruises-packing is a different story....lol...but i start from the top to the bottom and everything in between planning for each day of the cruise.

i have a Cruise wardrobe mostly everything is worn pretty much when i cruise and after the last it is now packed away so its all in one place so i dont have to go in the closets searching for everything.

the minute i book a cruise...i pack on paper (making lists) then 2 months before the cruise i get everything out and start putting everything together and 4 weeks out or so i try it all on.

i LOVE my jewelry so that is just as important to me as my clothes.

my next cruise will be for 2 weeks and then next December for 3 weeks so i am packing for the full 2 weeks for this December and hopin that it will work for next December--i cant pack any less than that for that long!

i shop year around, i am always in the CRUISE SHOPPING MODE!!

been shoppin the sales lately and i have so much that now i need to make decisions and decide what STAYS home!

ENJOY as i see the OPs cruise is upon her very quickly...HAVE FUN

only 186 days for me:D

starfish*4: You are a Cruising Fashionista Soul Sister:cool:! My cruise-loving heart was warmed after reading your post.

Saying you "pack on paper" is the perfect phrase for what we do. You love jewelry, shop year round and keep all the outfits in one area.

Those are the basic steps to a relaxed and fashionably attired cruise:cool:.

Thank you for posting and please come back to give any suggestions or tell us what you have learned!

I am 90% ready for The Next Cruise and am now counting down the hours!

starfish*4: You are a Cruising Fashionista Soul Sister:cool:! My cruise-loving heart was warmed after reading your post.

Saying you "pack on paper" is the perfect phrase for what we do. You love jewelry, shop year round and keep all the outfits in one area.

Those are the basic steps to a relaxed and fashionably attired cruise:cool:.

Thank you for posting and please come back to give any suggestions or tell us what you have learned!

I am 90% ready for The Next Cruise and am now counting down the hours!

ohhhhhh THANK YOU!!!

SAFE SMOOTH SAILING and have a WONDERFUL time!!

I'm going to make it with ONE 28-inch suitcase...and a garment bag and carryon. For both of us!

One way to keep clothes from sliding around is to pack tight. Below is a photo that looks like the suitcase is just about full. BUT - I continued adding several sundresses and a couple of DH's golf shirts + a couple of my tops.

When you think a suitcase is full - keep packing!

Notice that my shorts are folded only once. The lavender Capris hang over a tiny bit but don't get folded. Other layers go on top and the Capris curl over without folding. That helps, too.

BTW - the tropical print red shorts have gone on every cruise. Sadly, I don't recall where they were purchased...

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3A8%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D34664%3A%3A%3B82335nu0mrj

Edited by indiana71

No, I don't consider myself a "fashionista" BUT - I love planning every detail of every outfit. When all the work is done before SailAway, so much time is saved onboard. I would LOVE to hear what other like-minded clothes-lovers have to say!

Surely, there are others out there who love the tropical clothes and enjoy the process of planning and the comfort of knowing each outfit will be interesting, fun and appropriate???

It has nothing to do with pleasing strangers on a cruise ship, but rather the same kind of self-pampering one gets from having a really good mani-pedi or massage.

In a spare bedroom I assemble every possible clothing item, shoes, jewelry, accessory; then start to build outfits for each occasion. The first is for travel to the ship and (usually) SailAway the same day. We've been leaving out of Baltimore recently so there's no overnight stay in Florida.

Every outfit gets tried on - under garments to accessories - assessed, tweeked and put into a spreadsheet for each occasion. Sometimes DH is consulted - "Which shoes (earrings, top, etc.) looks better?

When it's time to pack, every item gets ironed the day before and layered in the suitcase(s) with tissue paper.

Surprisingly, I only take 1 big suitcase + a carry-on - and a big purse.

OMG! You are my missing twin sister!!!:D For me, one of the best things about a cruise is planning out what I'm going to wear. I also use the guest bedroom as my packing station!:p I love planning out my outfits and you are right... it makes it so easy on the cruise when you don't have to think about what you are going to wear every night cause you already know what you are gonig to wear and that its going to look good on you. Viva the fashonistas of the world!

mousey: Thank you for the positive comments:).

Now if only we fashonistas could form a club like the Red Hat Society and spread the word that it takes just a little effort to plan ahead. We all know the results are totally worth it:cool:!

A Quick Story:

DH umpires high school baseball (+ other leagues that age). He was invited to be part of a 4-man team at a playoff game, an hour away from home. The other 3 guys packed their ONE uniform in enough luggage to go away for a long weekend. DH asked me to pack for him. He had one medium-sized gym bag. I folded pants & 3 shirts carefully so they wouldn't wrinkle. He also had shoes, hat, belt.

He laughed when he came home, saying "All this fashonista stuff did me some good today!"

Edited by indiana71

for me with the 28" bag it was the weight that filled up before the suitcases so have gone to the 25" bags--am suprised how much you can get in that size and it takes longer to inch near that 50#(for flying)

i never go past 47.5 to allow for the difference in our scale vs the airlines!

Our cruise begins TOMORROW:cool:!!

The luggage is ready to put in the car. Our 28-inch suitcase was packed several inches above the top but closed easily. It has a zipper that can be opened to add a couple inches to the depth - didn't need it! The suitcase weighs 38.6 pounds (not a factor this cruise but always fun to know).

The garment bag is holding DH's sport jacket and 3 pairs of pants and it weighs in at 25 pounds...seems heavy for what's in it...

I'm not totally sold on using a garment bag for anything that would be folded when the bag is closed and folded. How do you keep dresses, etc. in place and not wrinkled??

Coming back, I'll put a couple dresses in it and see what happens.

There are only a couple items left on my To Do List. How nice to be able to relax and have a little me time...Mani/Pedi here I come!

Weather is looking good here and in Bayonne. SailAway should be warm and sunny:)!

Fashion photos will be posted as well as a review on how well-dressed my fellow travelers are...or not;)

Our cruise begins TOMORROW:cool:!!

The luggage is ready to put in the car. Our 28-inch suitcase was packed several inches above the top but closed easily. It has a zipper that can be opened to add a couple inches to the depth - didn't need it! The suitcase weighs 38.6 pounds (not a factor this cruise but always fun to know).

The garment bag is holding DH's sport jacket and 3 pairs of pants and it weighs in at 25 pounds...seems heavy for what's in it...

I'm not totally sold on using a garment bag for anything that would be folded when the bag is closed and folded. How do you keep dresses, etc. in place and not wrinkled??

Coming back, I'll put a couple dresses in it and see what happens.

There are only a couple items left on my To Do List. How nice to be able to relax and have a little me time...Mani/Pedi here I come!

Weather is looking good here and in Bayonne. SailAway should be warm and sunny:)!

Fashion photos will be posted as well as a review on how well-dressed my fellow travelers are...or not;)

I was told to have each item in the garment bag put in plastic - like from the drycleaner. It supposedly helps to keep items from wrinkling. Put the dresses in first and then the suits so that the dresses wrap around the suits when the bag folds. This will also help reduce the wrinkles.

Have fun - tell us all about when you get back. Can't wait to see your pictures!

indiana...have a great cruise. I have had a lot of fun reading this thread and really enjoyed the pictures posted.

I am going on the Explorer in a month and am now just starting my wardrobe planning.

indiana, Bon Voyage! Your thread is a lot of fun and I will wait patiently for your pictures.

Because I have Fire "sisters," I ended up posting a lot of pictures on the Fire Wardrobe thread. FYI. Come over there and talk with us!

I will wait patiently for your Fashionista report when you return.

i LOVE planning outfits for all vacations!

I like to plan so that my family "matches" much better for pictures! Usually we've traveled to Disney so we had matching disney shirts.

Cruise seems a bit more difficult but i'm geting there..Will be cruising on RCCL in July already jotting down what we'll be wearing.

As for shopping i love shopping - love sales - been purchasing stuff for this cruise since last summer.

got great things at great prices - plus its not only cruise wear will definitly be worn other times.

I'm having trouble planning sea day cloths. i know i'll be by the pool mostly BUT i might go to bingo, or something else and will need to change out of my bathing suit or i guess i can just throw on a cover up.

Enjoy your cruise. Great job on the packing and the weight of the case and garment bag ...I'd have trouble getting 38.5 ibs for just me yet alone DH also. Maybe if I buy one of those Lancome make-up pallettes and a sunscreen that will do for both body and face. Anyway hope that you and DH have an absolutely wonderful time. Look forward to your pics.

Hey Indiana!

I think you went on a cruise this week, I hope you had a blast!! I am getting ready to start packing. Was wondering if you could help me not to over pack. Which I am sure I will lol! We will be flying down the day before and staying at a resort on the beach, then when we get back we will be staying two more nights at a resort in Ft. Lauderdale. So I will need more day clothes and dinner clothes. Our cruise is 7 nights long. Two formal and and smart casual. RIght now I have at least 3 outfits per day. So I know I need to cut a few. I was thinking 3 for the days while in Ports. One for excursions,swimming, one when we get back and shower, then one for dinner (we have dinner reservations later in the evening for the most part at 9 to 9:30. Then at sea days could probably get away with 2. I always have a fear of not having enough. Would rather come home with some clean clothes..than having to wear some dirty ones home. LOL! And I am afraid to mix and match because I ALWAYS end up with something around the boob area...whether it be food or drink. (Thats the downfall of buying boobs...lol..if you drop food that is where it goes)! haha

Anyway...thanks for your advice. Can't WAIT to see pics of your cruise!

Another great cruise! (never been on a bad one):cool:

Since this is a Fashion thread, I'll stick to reviewing what passengers wore.

Overall, most cruisers dressed appropriately for a colorful tropical vacation. Very few ripped out jeans and t-shirts with words - and only a couple ball caps.

Formal Night was the least formal I've seen - but still nicely dressed. A 4-year old boy looked too cute in a black tux!

RealLilSwole: One trend might be the answer you are looking for. There were lots of "beach dresses" defined as: knit; always sleeveless, sometimes spaghetti strapped; some long, some short; elastic at the waist or just above. They always looked good and would be the solution to What to Wear after excursions. Two or three would be easy to pack and take up little room. I'm definitely going to invest in a couple:).

Sea Days are easy - slip on a swimsuit in the morning, add a cover-up and head to the pool deck for a lounger. And then grab a quick breakfast and make use of the lounger. You won't need the extra change of clothes those days.

Ditto for me RE "would rather come home with some clean clothes." If you choose lightweight outfits, you shouldn't have any packing issues.

(That's one of the reasons I don't pack jeans or denim - it's heavy. Cotton shorts and Capris take up less space and weigh less.)

What I Needed & Didn't Have: A tour of the Galley/Kitchen has been on my Want To Do List. This time, because I purchased the newest cookbook, a tour was offered. BUT - the invitation said "You must wear closed toe shoes or will not be admitted." I didn't BRING anything but sandals:eek:!

Don't try to buy shoes onboard - there aren't any!! Thank goodness one of the ladies in our group had running shoes and socks I could borrow. My size is 5.5, these were 6.5 but worked just fine. In fact, they were white w/ pink trim - a perfect match to my outfit;)!

I'll go through photos and post in the next couple of days.

As you can see from my signature - there's another cruise coming:cool:!

Even though the outside temp was 70 when we boarded in New Jersey, it was cool inside - this white cardigan isn't heavy or wintry-looking, perfect for a daytime coverup. The rest of my outfit says "I'm going to a tropical island where there are palm trees and Rum Swizzles!"

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3C%3A%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3468%3A%3A6672335nu0mrj

I would LOVE to have HER shoes...and her hard body to wear that outfit;)!

NEXT PHOTO: In keeping with the fun theme - I've taken this swimsuit coverup on every cruise. It came from Target's lingerie department! On sale for $9.99 (as a nightgown I guess).

I get more comments on this one item than any other outfit. One time as we were coming back onboard after a beach day, an RCI crew member stopped me - "No alcohol in open containers allowed" he said and then laughed and pointed to my coverup!

PS - As you have seen in other photos, it's fun to pose with the artwork!

232323232%7Ffp%3B35%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3468%3A%3A6682335nu0mrj