Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I've started to match up jewelry and shoes to some outfits, and I don't sail until February, lol. It's so much fun!

Just saw your pics on the All Things Earth thread - love the way your outfits come together! Beautiful! Wardrobe planning is fun and practical! And it doubles the pleasure of cruising!

Starting at 9 AM and continuing until 6 PM (with an hour off for lunch) - outfits have been chosen:)! Of course, tweaking can happen in the next 5 weeks; but I have a great start!

In these 3 photos, you will see 2 skirts and a pair of Capris that I bought this week...at the Goodwill store!

This skirt is a Casual Corner petite and it's paired with a top that has been worn before (it's from a resale shop, too).

232323232%7Ffp%3B6%3A%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35539745%3B5335nu0mrj

This skirt is a Talbot's! I don't usually wear polo tops with skirts, but this one happened to match. How good is it that the American Eagle Outfitter logo is the same blue as in the skirt.

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3C5%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D355397658%3B335nu0mrj

And these Capris still had the tag attached! They're George (a WalMart brand) but I was surprised at the quality. If you notice the rolled cuff...these are going to be shortened by my alterations lady. (I can't sew at all:eek:). The top is Talbot's that has been around awhile. And those lime sandals are seasoned cruisers!

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3B8%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35539745%3B6335nu0mrj

Just thought you might be interested to know that the George brand is a brand that was started by George Davis the founder of the Next fashion chaing in UK.

The "George" brand was for Asda, a supermarket chain in the UK, Asda is now owned by WalMart.

Teh George label was created to provide quality fahion at affordable prices.

laurspag: As females (and CCFs!), we get to add accessories to make our outfits even better. Your matching skills are really good:). Even though it takes time - "This color isn't the same," or "This necklace is too long/too short"...the results are very satisfying!

Jsim2011: Thank you for the info RE "George". It's interesting to know the background.

Labels seem to be important now, i.e., "Who are you wearing?" asked to every star on the red carpet. Companies spend alot of money advertising and making quality products.

An item doesn't need to be expensive to be well made (and even better when that high-end label can be found in resale shops;)).

Armchairtravelwoman: The lime sandals are Naturalizers, bought at a department store (for full price!) and are in their 9th season:cool:.

Love those outfits indiana - so attractively coordinated! I really enjoy your wardrobe postings! You are definitely Caribbean ready! Who knew there were such great finds at Goodwill. I covet your pink top and skirt! Oh and the matching sandals!:D

Jsim2011 - never knew about the UK connection to the "George" line! Thanks for that!

Edited by snowbirds2
sp

Great finds Indiana! Particularly like number 1 and 3 and l love the pink shoes in photo number 1. Glad the green shoes have served you so well.

JSIM11 - knew bout the "British" connection for George but did not know about the "Next" connection.

A little off topic - We booked our first cruise on RCI this week for June 3 as we are going to be in Florida anyway in June to visit our daughter and Princess doesn't do the Caribbean in the summer. So I am pushed to get my wardrobe together and DH's Tommy Bahama shirts ready to go!! Indiana (or anyone else)as a "diamond"expert on RCI any advice re formal night i.e. do women wear long dresses or is a cocktail dress more appropriate? I do not want to post on the regular RCI site as such questions on the Princess site usually turn into "It's my vacation and I'll wear what I want" debates :rolleyes:

Edited by Cancun01

I have only been on two cruises so far, both with RCI. I have seen a mix of both formal evening dress (with men in tuxedos) and coktail dresses on bothe cruises (Western Caribbean and Mexican Riviera).

I wore long formal both times and didn't feel out of place.

Cancun01: All 11 of our cruises have been on RCI and formal night for the majority of ladies means cocktail dresses. A few will wear long dresses. Most men wear either a suit or sportcoat and a few wear tuxes.

The point is that the main dining room is filled with dressed up people - all so civilized:)!

The 2 photos below are really to see how my new belt (from Nordstrom) looks. The LBD has been in my closet for years and is looking a little tired. The brown chiffon halter dress had a sash that went around the back and then tied in the front. I had that removed and am trying the belt instead. Now to decide which of those looks best...

PS - The shoes just arrived from zappos. They're Ann Klein and best described as a metallic lizard.

So Cancun01, you can get an idea of the formal night style.

232323232%7Ffp%3B5%3B%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3553976888335nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A7%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3553975%3B%3B6335nu0mrj

Edited by indiana71

Cancun01: All 11 of our cruises have been on RCI and formal night for the majority of ladies means cocktail dresses. A few will wear long dresses. Most men wear either a suit or sportcoat and a few wear tuxes.

The point is that the main dining room is filled with dressed up people - all so civilized:)!

The 2 photos below are really to see how my new belt (from Nordstrom) looks. The LBD has been in my closet for years and is looking a little tired. The brown chiffon halter dress had a sash that went around the back and then tied in the front. I had that removed and am trying the belt instead. Now to decide which of those looks best...

PS - The shoes just arrived from zappos. They're Ann Klein and best described as a metallic lizard.

So Cancun01, you can get an idea of the formal night style.

232323232%7Ffp%3B5%3B%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3553976888335nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A7%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3553975%3B%3B6335nu0mrj

Dresses look great ! Love the "look" of the belt with the second photo. Also .. I really like the shoes. I'm sure you'll get alot of wear from them too ! Good choices !

Indiana, I think you are one of those people who look good in almost anything! The new belt is spectacular.

Thank you Jsim11 and Indiana for the RCI formal night advice. I have always gone with cocktail dresses on Princess mainly because that is what I had in my closet from graduations and weddings even though many women wear very fancy long dresses. However, in the post-Christmas sales I picked up a couple of Jacques Vert (British company) evening gowns (pewter grey and the other eggplant)at an extremely good price ($67CDN on sale down from $400CDN) with the idea to get one shortened to cocktail length to which I have not gotten around to. I also bought the matching boleros/shrugs and the evening bag to match one. My DH thinks that I will regret getting either of them altered. So when we booked on the Allure this week I noticed that it lists "cocktail" dresses as formal - a little different from Princess. Hence my request for advice from the experts!! I am leaning towards wearing one of the new long ones and a cocktail dress that I have worn for several years for the second "formal" evening. I will look civilized whatever I end up deciding!! We plan to drive to Florida so luggage weight will not be a consideration for once!

Edited by Cancun01

Hi Cancun, here is one of me on one of the formal nights, not a great photo but the only one on my compueter right now, as I m.entioned, I have seen more women in formal than cocktail, but either will be fine.

207507_126327727442254_100001950836275_191011_7842971_n.jpg

Thanks! I love that dress, I always feel good in it - it is comfortable to wear.

Our next cruise is just about 5 weeks away and though I am excited about the cruise, it is hard to get excited about clothes for this trip, (Alaska). Still, I am putting together outfits for evening wear, and trying to put together outfits that will look stylish AND be suitable for any/all weather conditions:D

I will try to take some photos over the next few weeks as ideas come together.

Jsim2011: Please post photos of your Alaska outfits!

DH has that cruise on his bucket list and I agree it would be difficult to get enthused about clothes:eek:. With air fare from Pittsburgh to anywhere in the northwest so high, he's been content to stay on this side of the world...

DH pointed out an interesting fact when I was modeling yellow shoes to match an outfit. He said, "Those shoes are only yellow from the front, the rest of the shoe is that cork stuff."

Remember when soles and heels matched the front? It must be cheaper to produce a bunch of neutral colored bases and then add color across the toes.

I'll pay more attention to that and try to avoid the cork or rope.

QUESTION: If there were 2 pairs of shoes: 1 that was all leather (or suede or whatever) OR a pair that had 2 different materials - which would you choose?

Edited by indiana71

Jsim: I love that dress and complimented with the crisscross strap in the shoes. What material is the dress? It looks as if it travels well, not much fuss.

Indiana: your Anne Klein shoes from Zappos were a good buy. You definitely look ready for a cruise in your George capris!

I love your looks, indiana! I am preparing to go on my first cruise 05/19/12 to Eastern Caribbean. I haven't bought these dresses I am posting on here, but I have a couple of dresses from this store I am taking with me..(I can't locate them on the website anymore) I just wanted to share these because they would be very pretty for dinner.. OH AND I LOVE THAT GOLD BELT!

http://www.forever21.com/Product/Product.aspx?BR=f21&Category=dress&ProductID=2008585015&VariantID=

http://www.forever21.com/Product/Product.aspx?BR=f21&Category=dress&ProductID=2000042474&VariantID=

Mbm0815: Your Forever 21 dresses are perfect choices for dinner! The fabric looks light-weight and wrinkle resistant, too - a nice bonus.

Very pretty!

I made my first purchase from Etsy last week - a pair of handmade patriotic earrings since we will be cruising on July 4th. I don't want to look "costumey" and should be okay in red Capris and a blue and white striped blouse. But don't have earrings that worked. I searched on Etsy and found a heart-shaped pair in red, white and blue. They're smallish and will work for other patriotic holidays, too. It took less than a week for the earrings to arrive.

Etsy has a myriad of handmade and vintage items. It's a fun place to explore:).

Edited by indiana71

Hi fashionistas! Hope spring is treating you all well :)

Indiana, your outfits looks great, I am huge fan of the "Little Black Dress" and that belt gives both dresses a beautiful touch! I also am loving those floral print pants!

It is still over a year away until my next cruise, but will all the spring and summer clothing out an in full swing, I couldn't resist picking up a few things. Does anyone shop at ModCloth? They have retro/60s inspired clothing that I love and just ordered this black dress and plan on wearing it on a formal night by dressing it a up a bit with pearls and nude pumps. It's not super fancy but do you fashionistas think I could make it formal night appropriate?

I also grabbed a knee length peach chiffon dress that will be perfect as the material is unlikely to wrinkle and I am in love with the peachy color:D

My sister and I have also been practicing our "sock buns." I love this hairstyle for cruising because I don't have to worry about curling irons or straighteners and it keeps my hair away from my face but is still a nice, clean hair style. Does anyone else have any easy hair style tips?

Sorry for the long post! :rolleyes:

Edited by iCruise717

iCruise717: Thinking ahead and always looking for great cruise clothes is a hallmark of a true CCF:).

Your LBD has good lines and can be dressed up easily for formal nights and could even be worn with colorful, fun jewelry and cute sandals for casual nights.

Chiffon is a good fabric choice - lightweight and wrinkle resistant. And it is elegant!

I'm leaving shortly to drive to our cottage for Mother's Day weekend. On the way, there's a nice, big outlet mall...that I haven't visited in a couple years:eek:! In a couple hours of store hopping, I can get some exercise and maybe find a bargain or 2.

Tomorrow is another shopping day at the mall in Erie. Victoria's Secret is the best place for bras and I need one of those convertible ones to wear strapless, halter-style or one shoulder. Between Spanx and Victoria's Secret, ANY female can make her figure the best it can be;). There's also Charming Charlie's (most of you probably know about the jewelry and accessories - all grouped by color), where I can easily spend an hour!

Meanwhile, CCFs are encouraged to post photos - it helps all of us to learn more about dressing for cruising:cool:.

Charming Charlies is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine! My first cruise is 9 days away and I will post you guys some photos when I return! I have matched my 4 year old son's wardrobe to mine for the formal nights (Carnival) let's just say...seersucker suit :)

Indiana -

If you are in Erie, I highly recommend you check out Gabriel Brothers. I think it's on 12th St on the West Side of I-79 if I remember correctly. You might have to pick through stuff and you never know what their selection will be, but they consistently had great bargains when I lived in that area. I often got name brands (one time a Victoria's Secret current style bra $6.99 instead of $48) at amazing bargains.

Also, Value City - I think they closed on the West side, but are still open on the East Side and in Meadville, PA, has amazing bargains on good dresses. Those 2 stores were always my favorite places to shop, they ruined me for anywhere else.

And then of course, there's The Winner (think it's in Sharon, PA). Not a bargain place by any stretch of the imagination, but always great for formals as well.

Grove City Outlet (Prime Outlets) was always pretty good, too. They had an Atlantic Luggage outlet at one time.

Hope you are having fun on your trip!

Enjoy!