Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

It is still snowing here and nothing is open (not even our offices!) so I wandered over here to daydream of warmer places.

I love the formal pics Sherrilynn...you must be a great faker, but sometimes you convince yourself! Hope it was a great cruise.

Indiana, I love the outfits. I guess you should wear green (so you don't get pinched!) but personally, I look awful in it. The outfit you've chosen is pretty and should be perfect.

I'm wondering now though if I need to wear red for Valentine's Day...it will be our second day onboard. I love red so it isn't a problem, but I hadn't thought about it.

I probably need to think about packing too...we leave in ten days!

This might seem silly but how did everyone figure out what color is best on them? I usually just wear black but for our (first) cruise in April I really want to break out of that and get some colorful clothes. Any advice?

Btw: love everyone's posts!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This might seem silly but how did everyone figure out what color is best on them? I usually just wear black but for our (first) cruise in April I really want to break out of that and get some colorful clothes. Any advice?

Btw: love everyone's posts!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Look up Color Me Beautiful. There are quizzes online that will help you determine what "season" you are and then there are suggested colours. Years ago, when I was tested, they started off with a silver fabric and a gold fabric. The gold made me very washed out and the silver flattered my skin so it was determined that my skin tone was cool. Cool means you are a Winter or a Summer. Winters are usually naturally dark haired with brown eyes but sometimes also have white blond hair. Springs are a softer version of this. I am dark haired with dark eyes and bright primary colours, icy shades as well as white and black look best on me. I don't do orange or any of tones of coral or peach. I can get away with some dark browns as long as they aren't close to my face.

Have fun looking it up and see what you come up with.

sherilyn70: The close up photo shows the color better and purple is really good on you!

I will put the yellow skirt away...or maybe switch it to another day; and wear the green blouse on St. Pat Day. Thanks for the feedback!

Mommypieof3: Absolutely wear red! We were on a Valentine cruise and many ladies wore red, and some men had red ties. Very nice!

Fitmomd: I go along with Danni3113 on checking out Color Me Beautiful. If you hold up something gold and then something silver close to your face, it's amazing how one makes you look rosy and healthy and the other - washed out.

I opened a non-cruise clothes closet door today - and a question came to mind:

WHAT IS THE OLDEST PIECE OF CLOTHING THAT YOU HAVE AND (CAN) STILL WEAR?

I have a yellow organdy blouse with 3/4 length sleeves and a Peter Pan collar - and it's 50 years old!! It was purchased to wear on a date with my boyfriend (aka DH;)). Can't say that it gets worn every summer...but it fits! I will take it on our 50th Anniversary Cruise (which hasn't been decided yet - some itineraries that far in advance aren't available yet.)

My wedding day white full slip lives in a lingerie drawer. It fits...but who wears a full slip anymore???

sherilyn70,

I just love your pictures. Both of you look great.

indiana71,

Go with the green. It is a nice outfit.

The oldest clothing that I have is a dress that belonged to my grandmother. It looks like it is from the 1930's.

I opened a non-cruise clothes closet door today - and a question came to mind:

WHAT IS THE OLDEST PIECE OF CLOTHING THAT YOU HAVE AND (CAN) STILL WEAR?

I have a yellow organdy blouse with 3/4 length sleeves and a Peter Pan collar - and it's 50 years old!! It was purchased to wear on a date with my boyfriend (aka DH;)). Can't say that it gets worn every summer...but it fits! I will take it on our 50th Anniversary Cruise (which hasn't been decided yet - some itineraries that far in advance aren't available yet.)

My wedding day white full slip lives in a lingerie drawer. It fits...but who wears a full slip anymore???

That slip might make a nice nightie.......

The oldest item I have in my closet is a sweater that belonged to my grandfather, my mother wore all through high school and then I "borrowed" it and wore it all through high school myself. I still wear it .... although it's now at the point of being repaired several times and rarely leaves the house, but is still one of the comfiest items I own for these cold winter nights.

JediMom: I, too, had an old sweater. It was my dads and it was a Christmas one so he wore the sweater every Christmas Eve.

After he died, I took the sweater to my Alterations Queen and she made small Christmas stocking ornaments for all of my family. They hang on our trees every year and keep him part of the holiday tradition.

I might not be able to stop myself this week....and pull out the suitcases:cool:.

February 16 is Presidents' Day...but in our cruise-crazed house, we will combine that with a Pre-Cruise Dinner & Itinerary Review...and I'm calling it "Cruisidents' Day":rolleyes:. DH will get a couple gifts: shirts and bow ties for Formal Night. And since we've been working out at the Y, a couple pedometers have been ordered and will be part of the gift-giving. (Since we turn off phones onboard, the pedometer app won't get used.)

Anyway, it's getting too hard to pass the Cruise Room without going in and starting to pack...:cool::)

JediMom: I, too, had an old sweater. It was my dads and it was a Christmas one so he wore the sweater every Christmas Eve.

After he died, I took the sweater to my Alterations Queen and she made small Christmas stocking ornaments for all of my family. They hang on our trees every year and keep him part of the holiday tradition.

I might not be able to stop myself this week....and pull out the suitcases:cool:.

February 16 is Presidents' Day...but in our cruise-crazed house, we will combine that with a Pre-Cruise Dinner & Itinerary Review...and I'm calling it "Cruisidents' Day":rolleyes:. DH will get a couple gifts: shirts and bow ties for Formal Night. And since we've been working out at the Y, a couple pedometers have been ordered and will be part of the gift-giving. (Since we turn off phones onboard, the pedometer app won't get used.)

Anyway, it's getting too hard to pass the Cruise Room without going in and starting to pack...:cool::)

It is so beautiful what you did with your father's sweater. I know he is with you at all times and especially at Christmas.

Both suitcases came down from the closet shelf. They're "yawning" on the Cruise Room bed. ("Yawning" is what DH calls it when both have lids up and are ready to be filled.)

Jewelry for each outfit is bagged and labeled, ready to place in one of those free cosmetics promo bags.

The first layer is crucial since these new-fangled suitcases aren't flat-bottomed. Underwear, sleepwear, swmsuits go in first. Now there is a level bottom and I can start putting in outfits:cool::).

Hi ladies. It has been a while since I have posted here (we haven't cruised since last January and in that process we have moved from MN to TX..so, I have been a bit busy with other things). But that aside, my sister booked a cruise out of Houston leaving 2/21 (yes, in less than 12 days!:eek:) and we we just decided to join her...so I have very little time to plan my outfits and everything else for this trip. The upside of all of this is that due to late pricing, no travel costs, and lots of incentives being offered by Norwegian we booked a suite!

My biggest question is what tips do you ladies have on how best a fashionista can utilize the suite amenities?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Peggy

mployhar: First - good for you!! Booking a suite, and almost at the last minute - I'm envious:cool::)!

I have never had a suite, but have visited a few. The bathroom is actually GOING TO BE a bathroom (not just a walk-in space:rolleyes:), so take along some pampering bath items to enjoy at least one soak in the tub.

Ooh. I never thought of bath extras. I usually pack those aroma therapy shower tablets (moreso because our shower was shared with our three kids, but in the suite they will have their own seperate bath) and essential oil scented body oil to use after going to the spa.

...and packing continues. Dear DH has added to the Cruise Room - shorts, golf shirts, dinner shirts:). His pants and sport jacket go in a garment bag, so they aren't needed yet.

Yesterday was Ironing Day. Today all those items will be carefully folded and put in the suitcases.

I had no intention of stopping at the mall after Senior Citizen Tuesday breakfast at our local pancake restaurant...but the sign caught my eye - "Valentine Craft Show". Hmmmm, maybe some jewelry crafters....Yes!! Found a bracelet of crystals and gold, another with Caribbean blue beads, and a necklace with pearls and green beads.

They will stay in the Cruise Room for this time...but Next Cruise is in May...then June - so new jewelry for sure on at least one of them!:rolleyes:

mployhar: You are inspiring me! For our 50th Anniversary Cruise, my mind is almost made up for the Panama Canal...and I will book a Junior Suite (and hope DH won't find out, so it can be a surprise).

Itineraries for June 2016 won't be available until April (probably the End of April...).

Great finds on the jewelery! I live so close to Sam Moon here in Texas that it is hard not to over do those accessories, but it is always exciting to have something handmade and one-of-a-kind.

I hope you "suite" plan works. My DH was not very sure at first, but now that he is dreaming of all the ways he is going to enjoy the perks he is probably more excited about this cruise than I am...it does help too that we had been watching the prices and yesterday the Haven room prices dropped and we were able to upgrade for almost nothing. (Only problem I see from here on out is that we may not be able to go back to a regular cabin[emoji6])

That is a lovely idea! My mother made my wedding gown 30 years ago - I have one daughter (who does not share my same size / style) and 3 sons. I am currently having my gown cut into 4 small handkerchiefs which will be given to my children upon their marriage. :)

To all Caribbean-Cruising Fashonistas,

If you are in the snow storms path stay safe and warm. Maybe it is time to go through our cruise wardrobe and see what needs to be updated or fixed. A great way to enjoy the day inside is to plan you next cruise!

Stay warm!

ScottsSweetie: Love love love what you are having done with your wedding gown! The handkerchiefs will be a perfect keepsake.

Thank you for sharing. Maybe our stories of repurposing will inspire others:).

Geocruiser: You are so right (and thinking like a true CCF)! This is a good week to go through Cruise Clothes - if what you see outside is snow, snow, dark and dreary wind-blowing snow.

Even though I'm packed for Next Cruise, there's lots of items in the Cruise Room that could be checked out!

Remember when I said "I cancelled the December cruise. We will stay home this year."??? Well...DH mentioned last night that out of our 20 cruises, we have been to the western Caribbean only once. That was all he needed to say....I went online and found a cruise that fits our schedule AND goes to the western Caribbean. So-o-o-o I booked a 10-nighter out of Baltimore on Grandeur of the Seas (our most often booked ship), departing November 29 and returning December 9. We get to celebrate Thanksgiving and have a couple weeks before all those year end holidays.:cool::)

ScottsSweetie: Love love love what you are having done with your wedding gown! The handkerchiefs will be a perfect keepsake.

Thank you for sharing. Maybe our stories of repurposing will inspire others:).

Geocruiser: You are so right (and thinking like a true CCF)! This is a good week to go through Cruise Clothes - if what you see outside is snow, snow, dark and dreary wind-blowing snow.

Even though I'm packed for Next Cruise, there's lots of items in the Cruise Room that could be checked out!

Remember when I said "I cancelled the December cruise. We will stay home this year."??? Well...DH mentioned last night that out of our 20 cruises, we have been to the western Caribbean only once. That was all he needed to say....I went online and found a cruise that fits our schedule AND goes to the western Caribbean. So-o-o-o I booked a 10-nighter out of Baltimore on Grandeur of the Seas (our most often booked ship), departing November 29 and returning December 9. We get to celebrate Thanksgiving and have a couple weeks before all those year end holidays.:cool::)

Great cruise to look forward to. Sailing of of Baltimore does save on air fare, if you drive. With in a day you should be in nice weather. A great way to the end of a cruise year.