Great Stirrup Cay

Lollygil

Its my first time to the private island, and I have a few questions. I need some tips--so anyone who can help please answer.

Are there enough lounges for everyone? Are some areas better to sit at than others? I plan to just plop down and enjoy the sun, drinks and BBQ. Do I need to prepay for a special excursion or clamshell to ensure I get VIP real estate or get there early? Or can I just go at leisure and grab a lounge?

Was there in December. It was chilly so the beach wasn't that crowded as I think a lot of people had decided to stay on the ship. Previous trips the beach has been crowded but recently it seemed like there was much more seating added so I personally wouldn't be worried.

You can reserve a clam shell ahead of time (if you do this I would do it shortly after boarding so they don't run out). I can't remember how much they cost (20$ maybe???) but I think you get priority tender tickets with this rental and can then be first off the ship.

Have a great cruise,

Coffeecat

We got to the island on the first tender and had a choice spot under a palm tree. We moved a few chairs around so as not to feel too crowded. There seemed to be plenty of chairs, but the later you arrive the farther you will walk from the tender.

The barbeque was decent. Plenty to choose from, well organized, and easy to navigate.

The entry into the water was a little rocky. It was not the warmest day while we were there, so we didn't stay in much.

A waiter that we liked from the ship found us right away, and provided great drink service for us, replenishing the ice in our bucket etc.

Overall a good time.

I love this island :) we were tender number 2 and found two lounge chairs and plopped our stuff down and ran into the water! We didn't eat at the bbq it was so hot! But bring ample sunscreen because we got burnt really well lol and my boyfriend still has his tan line from june hehe

Just an FYI..... The new boat basin on GSC is now in operation. While I have not been to GSC yet (but will be very soon, providing the sea cooperates),there are pictures on NCL's facebook page showing the new tender landing area and dining hall.

Here is the link to the pictures.

http://www.facebook.com/Norwegiancruiseline?sid=30038be15ca34ca5c3304ae8a1 8dcf41&ref=s#!/album.php?aid=326260&id=43678986413

We were there in November and it was sunny and hot on the island. Although we got in line onboard the ship for tender tickets the moment it was announced, the line was immediately very long and we were assigned Tender 7. So by the time we got to the island, there were no lounge chairs left. We staked claim on an uncomfortable picnic table partly in the shade, but ended up returning to the ship shortly after lunch. Not our favorite private island experience. :(

Ugghhh..how do I get on the earlier tenders? And I hate to say it but those roped off penned in lounges don't look like a day at the beach to me..anywhere that is less crowded?

Hi,

Wanna get there on tender 1 or 2 ?, then pre-book an excursion like the snorkelling or even a clam shell.

We did the snorkelling and when we got our room, the tickets where in the room and we had tender #1 ( 500 person per tender, so the island fills up fast )

Have a good one

Its my first time to the private island, and I have a few questions. I need some tips--so anyone who can help please answer.

Are there enough lounges for everyone? Are some areas better to sit at than others? I plan to just plop down and enjoy the sun, drinks and BBQ. Do I need to prepay for a special excursion or clamshell to ensure I get VIP real estate or get there early? Or can I just go at leisure and grab a lounge?

There are quite a few loungers, but I would make sure you get off of the ship early. We were there last March and it was very full then by mid-day, but I know they've been remodeling so maybe that has changed and they've expanded the lounging area. There are picnic tables, etc. also. Nice little island - we like the hammocks to the right after laying in the sun all morning and after having lunch. Good relaxing day.

Archived