Trouble getting seat assignments with SS air?

AllisonJames

Well, here's another lovely post from me about the debacle that is the SS air department. All along, we have been promised by our travel agent (who was promised by SS) that we would have seat assignments when we received our final documents, which we received yesterday. We are flying to SJU on American and back on USAir. A month ago we had seats on AA but none on USAir and we were assured that would be rectified on the documents. Well, mysteriously, we do now have seats on USAir but not on the American flight and when we use our record locator, they won't let us book seats and the plane is showing that there are no more seats available to select anyway! Not only are we worried about a completely lousy seat assignment all the way to SJU (I don't want to know my husband if he has to sit in a middle seat) but we are worried about not having seats at all and getting bumped on what is the only flight from PHL to SJU that day. Has anyone ever had the trouble getting seat assignments like we are having? Anyone have an advice and suggestions? We booked this cruise nearly a year ago for a very special occasion, this whole thing has been a giant pain in the you-know-what and our travel agent (Virtuoso) has made numerous calls. This is not the kind of treatment I expect from a luxury cruise line!

I would suggest that you get to the airport early. EARLY. (Did I mention - Early? :D ) if you are not able to get satisfaction before travel day.

Get checked in and see what challenges you have to hurdle. Airline travel is nothing but dreadful these days, and middle seats should be used in lieu of capital punishment for those who have done terrible, terrible things. But see if you can't talk hubby into thinking of it as something he has to "get through" to get to the good stuff (e.g. the cruise), if, indeed, he has to sit in one. If it's either a middle seat or running along beside the plane....a middle seat is slightly preferable.

But only slightly.

So far all has been well with our flights. Your post had me checking with American and Delta to assure my seats were still assigned and they are. I will be diligently checking everyday I bet. We aren't thrilled with our routing, but will suck it up. They have us on Delta connecting in Atlanta on the way down, but the return is on American through Chicago. Many seats online do seem to be filled on our flights, but I understand that those seat maps are not completely accurate. I hope your situation is settled soon. My husband probably would refuse to get on a plane if there were only middle seats available as he is quite claustrophobic on planes!

I don't understand why your TA is not taking care of this. We booked a year ago with Silverseas Air. Our Amercian Express agent, secured our seats thru the airlines as soon as Silverseas let her know which airlines we would be flying. We leave June 26th for Venice, we have seats there on Delta thru Alanta and coming back on British Airlines. Our agent also gave us our booking number so we can go out and look at our seats, which I have several times, keeping track of the air time changes and/or fight changes. When there is a change, I contact my agent and she goes in and verifies our seats again. Your TA should be working for you.

I don't understand why your TA is not taking care of this. We booked a year ago with Silverseas Air. Our Amercian Express agent, secured our seats thru the airlines as soon as Silverseas let her know which airlines we would be flying. We leave June 26th for Venice, we have seats there on Delta thru Alanta and coming back on British Airlines. Our agent also gave us our booking number so we can go out and look at our seats, which I have several times, keeping track of the air time changes and/or fight changes. When there is a change, I contact my agent and she goes in and verifies our seats again. Your TA should be working for you.

Silversea has one "problem" that other cruise lines do not have. Your TA cannot contact Silversea by phone. They must email and wait for a response. My TA (in the opinion of many is the top in the industry) has had difficulty having Silversea Air deal with a serious issue from two weeks ago. Silversea is a wonderful cruise line with a less than satisfactory travel department!

FWIW -- over the years every invoice from my TA where I've used SS air and/or upgrades has the notation:

Neither The Cruise Line nor --------- (my agent) obtains airline seat assignments or applies airline frequent flyer numbers to your air reservations. You may call the airlines directly regarding these issues.

I note the confirmation number and do just that -- have not had a problem obtaining desired seat.

One thing that really hacks me off about British Airways is that you can't get a seat assignment until 24 hours before the flight. We are flying Club World from London to JFK - have booked it ourselves and have paid a lot! They will allow us to get a seat assignment now - on payment of £60 per seat each way for the downstairs cabin on the 747 or £80 each way for the upstairs cabin. If we don't pay this, we have to wait till 24 hrs before the flight to see what's left. For a full-price airline, this is a rip-off and it's bringing them down to the level of Ryanair.

My motto is -- CHOOSE YOUR BATTLES -- and BA will win this one.

I too have used their Premium Economy and although I sweat the last 24 hours, if I go on-line exactly at 24 hours and counting I've found I can get the seat I want.

Or -- you can pay the additional -- which I've never done.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice - I'll do this. Boarding the Silver Wind in Cape Town on 12th March, flying Lufthansa and were able to get seat assignments when we booked. That's the way they should all be.

Agreed - but it is what it is -- you'll be fine.;)

Well, here's the update on the wonderful world of air travel in the year 2011. Based on a recommendation from this board, I called the airline directly. I was told that the airport has taken control of the seats on the flight (perhaps to seat a large group) which is why there isn't current access to the seat selection chart online. I was also told we had "guaranteed" seats on the flight but not a seat assignment and that the flight was not full. Also, since we previously had seat assignments on this flight, when the airport releases the seating for the flight (which could happen any time or might not happen until we get to the airport), we might just magically pop back into those previous seats. Frankly, with the way air travel is today, I really wish I could just magically pop anywhere and not have to fly!

. Frankly, with the way air travel is today, I really wish I could just magically pop anywhere and not have to fly!

I think a lot of people feel that way - you're not alone!

I'm so used to not being able to select seats until the 24-hour check-in period that I no longer worry about where I'll sit on the airplane. Its just not worth the stress. Unless, that is, I can magically pop myself up into Executive Class :)

Ain't that the truth (stress). I used to worry about it too. Then I decided I can put up with most anything for a few hours, especially if a great cruise is dangling on the other end. So what if I don't get to sit with DH, so what if I get a middle seat...I am real good at making the aisle person WISH I was in his chair, with all the climbing over to go to the bathroom :D

So, I just don't worry about it any more.

Archived