Don't get sick on carnival

apollobeach

I simply put a letter written to Carnival on this Board and said, in my opinion, don't get sick on Carnival.

I had not planned on saying anything further on this subject; however, the vitriol directed to me by many people responding to my posting needs to be addressed.

To those who had differing opinions to mine, and expressed them in a thoughtful way, I appreciate your comments, even though we might not agree.

To those who saw this as a method to viciously slam me, for whatever your hateful reason, I have absolutely no respect for you.

Two glaring cases in point - G'ma, and your constant referring to me as "she" or "her" in the nasty and vicious postings. Your ignorance and bigotry are showing, big time, and is not lost on me at all. Hope you are happy with your hate toward me. And, your posting verges on the slanderous. You couldn't have missed the picture posted by our name.

To golfadj - Do you have any facts straight before you accuse someone on not having their facts straight? I'm not the idiot here - we knew the itinerary, and surely knew what island and hospital we were on/in.

Very few of you bothered to read the WHOLE letter to Carnival, which, while being long, is very detailed as the the TREATMENT by Carnival regarding my landing, and the lack of assistance by Carnival after the landing.

Now, I well know that I will be called "too sensitive" and "nasty" as well as other vitriol that will be leveled at me. And, to those that will hurl even more insults, I could give a care.

Like so many people that visit Cruise Critic, I've pretty much ceased joining discussions on CC, due in part to the haters that exist it seems for no other reason than to slam other posters. That's really sad, because a healthful debate/dialogue, such as exhibited by so many in response to my initial posting, is good, healthy, and many times helpful. But so many, when they don't agree, find it so easy to spew their hate and nastiness on these Boards.

So, "slammers" - do your thing in response to what I have written here - I surely won't be reading your vitriol.

I'm sorry you had to go through all that. While I do believe that Carnival did the right thing, it sounds as though they could have been more sensitive in the manner in which they handled you. It would blow to have a vacation ruined. It would blow even more for your partner had you passed though. I am glad you are home and feeling better and do hope Carnival gives you at least some compensation for their insensitivity in handling this. Do they have to or are they obligated to compensate you? No. However, it is just good customer service to show compassion and extend an olive branch to a good customer.

On an unrelated note, I used to live right near you in Ruskin. I actually miss that area sometimes... like yesterday morning when I went to leave and it was 17 degrees :rolleyes:

Wow, what a compassionate bunch of people (NOT).

The OP was put off the ship, which you all seem to feel is fine. What I find far less than fine is the utter lack of assistance CCL provided when they did that. Most decent lines have teams to assist pax in distress but I guess not CCL.

The OP was put off the ship, which you all seem to feel is fine. What I find far less than fine is the utter lack of assistance CCL provided when they did that. Most decent lines have teams to assist pax in distress but I guess not CCL.

What should they do? Drop rose petals in front of the pssgr's every step? :D

I look at it this way. The guy had a health problem that required assistance / vigilance that cannot be provided onboard the cruise ship. CCL probably took normal and routine steps to accomodate the situation and put him in good hands. They are on a tight time schedule and did what they had to do.

Keep in mind, much of the staff is not American and they may not neccesarily show the extent of compassion and hand-holding (coddling) that we Americans are used to receiving. It's not a slam on anyone involved, just more of an acknowledgment of the cultural differences. For gosh sakes, we can barely understand what some of the staff is saying when they talk to us on the ship.

We've read this gent's story. (I'd love to hear the CCL point of view. Of course that won't be published on Cruise Critic.) :) Based on the info seen so far, I tend to think the ship acted appropriately.

Good luck and wishes for good health to the OP!

The Port Agent checked on them twice. Once at the beginning to ensure that they had all their items before the ship left and again at 8pm that night. They said the agent offered no assistance but I would have to ask was any requested.

Dave

If your cruise line was in some way responsible for your illness or injury I would expect them to offer extensive support. However, if you become sick, or have an exacerbation of a previous illness- you are expected to deal with yourself. You are an adult- they aren't babysitters. If you became sick at a hotel or resort they might help get you to the hospital or get a doctor but then you would be on your own. If you are in a foreign country and have serious problems, contact your embassy. That is one of the things that they are good for.

There are cheerleaders, and then there is you. Your lack of compassion for someone's vacation being ruined is just downright nasty. :mad:

So what if the contract covers these issues? No one plans for this sort of thing to happen and just because it did doesn't mean the ship or their agents on land couldn't help these people better with the logistics.

gma should be placed on probation again.

I admit that I did not read the whole letter or all the posts.

To me it doesn't matter if you are a he or she. I am sorry that you had a propblem with your vacation. No one deserves that.

I think that Carnival could have offered a some additional assistance. Carnival is a large corporatation, they could have a represnetative in each port to assist with issues like this.

I am sure taht this is not the first time that this has happened to someone.

Again, I am sorry that you vacation was ruined and for the ignorant posts.

Cruise ship doctors are the bottom of the barrel as far as MDs are concerned.

If he was good, he be in private practice.

The doc had no confidence in his skills.

Its easier to pass a patient off than deal with such problems.

what you don't realize is that cruise ship doctors for the most part are in private or group practice and are hired by the cruise line for a limited basis...like 2 weeks at times...in return the docs family gets a free cruise...

While some may sign on for a 6 month gig and get paid by the cruiseline..it is not unusual for a doc to be there a week or 2 in return for free cabins.

And yes...I do know that it is not ALWAYS the situation...but I also do know that AT TIMES it is the situation.

While I try to avoid doctors at all costs...you comment about cruise ship doctors is inappropriate.

I admit that I did not read the whole letter or all the posts.

To me it doesn't matter if you are a he or she. I am sorry that you had a propblem with your vacation. No one deserves that.

I think that Carnival could have offered a some additional assistance. Carnival is a large corporatation, they could have a represnetative in each port to assist with issues like this.

I am sure taht this is not the first time that this has happened to someone.

Again, I am sorry that you vacation was ruined and for the ignorant posts.

If you have travel insurance, it is one of the services usually offered- someone to help get you home. And yes Carnival could have a rep at each port. There are lots of things they could have. And each new service they offer will increase the cost of cruises.

I am also sorry that his cruise was ruined. One thing that is not mentioned is whether or not he carried a report from his doctor explaining this ongoing situation. If you have a pre-existing problem- bring information from your doctor explaining what it is and why they are not concerned about you traveling. The heart condition as explained is something that would concern any doctor and without a good history, it sounds as though they acted appropriately. So a warning we should all heed- if you are traveling with a disorder- bring some information from your doctor. It is like the issue of needing oxygen- if the ship knows you need it, no problem. If you get on board and suddenly need it- you will be put off at the next port.

I rarely jump into things like this, but on this occasion I am going to.

I have met both John & Rick, we spent a wonderful day in Liverpool last year when they visited the UK for the first time by cruise ship (Azamara Journey).

I can honestly say that they are the nicest and most honest couple of guys that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and the way some on this thread have aimed some extremely nasty (especially you G'MA) and totally uncalled for comments is downright disgusting.

John went to the ship's doctor for reassurrance, afterall fainting can be quite a scary thing to happen anywhere, let alone on a cruise ship. Instead of reassurrance both he and Rick were turfed off the ship without so much as a thought by Carnival. Their trip home was long and tiring...and very stressful.

Someone with a suspected heart fault should never have been placed in that position....EVER.

The fact is that he was fit to continue the cruise, he was told as such by the St Maarten & St Lucia doctors...it was Carnival who over rode those doctors and booted the guys off the ship, miles from home. Had it not been for Rick, John could have been stuck there now.

Their treatment (or lack of it) and lack of common sense or compassion is something that these big companies are getting worse at. Gone are the days where you are a person, nowadays you are nothing more than a cabin number & dollar signs.

All Carnival wanted to do was end their liability and push it to the hospitals and/or the airlines to deal with. It is a disgraceful practice but sadly one that is all too common. I, for one, totally understand why the lads are considering pulling their other 4 cruises...after the experience aboard Miracle, so would I.

Carnival buck passing in its lowest form.

why do you keep saying she.....it was a male and his partner. I didn't read the whole letter but could tell it was a male.

What possible difference could that make with regard to the issue at hand.

Get over it, please.....:cool:

There are cheerleaders, and then there is you. Your lack of compassion for someone's vacation being ruined is just downright nasty. :mad:

So what if the contract covers these issues? No one plans for this sort of thing to happen and just because it did doesn't mean the ship or their agents on land couldn't help these people better with the logistics.

So, the contracts/terms and conditions are printed simply to waste space?

OP is angry because she was treated for an obvious pre-condition that was a life-threatening event and was taken to hospital. That's exactly what should have happened.

In addition, OP should have advised Carnival that this condition existed and fainting was part of the deal.

It's not that I'm not sympathic with OP, however, what happened during her cruise, with regard the health issue, is exactly right..and is in the contracts.

There's no "so what" about it.

Get over it' date=' please.....:cool:[/quote']

Its a common courtesy...

You know that the OP is a male, so there is no need - other than to maybe cause upset - to continually call him a 'she' or 'her'.

Courtesy costs nothing.

It is fine. Ships medical facilities are not equipped to handle this type of heart ailment. OP needed treatment...right away and could only be treated at a hospital where they are equipped.

As for the "utter lack" of assistance...I don't buy it. Port agents are there to assist. There have been no specifics on what assistance they didn't receive. As noted in the OP, the port agent was around and even came to the hospital. Nowhere is anything specific mentioned.

Cruise ship doctors are the bottom of the barrel as far as MDs are concerned.

If he was good, he be in private practice.

The doc had no confidence in his skills.

Its easier to pass a patient off than deal with such problems.

Oh, please.

Where do you get your information. Here, from CC, learn the facts:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=175

According to the Miracle's itineraries posted here, they stop in St. Maarten before St. Lucia on all cruises. Do you have your facts straight??

Not true. I sailed on Jan 30th cruise. St Lucia, St Kitts and last stop St Maarten. The Captain changed it when we left Ft Lauderdale. (I don't know the reason but we started with one captain and finished with a different one so that may have been the reason)

It is fine. Ships medical facilities are not equipped to handle this type of heart ailment. OP needed treatment...right away and could only be treated at a hospital where they are equipped.

As the OP pointed out, what the ship doctor was trying to treat him for was a known condition that did not require treatment. If the OP didn't bring medical records on board, the ship's doctor had nothing to go on. I would think in a situation like this Carnival could produce a waiver of liability and refusal of treatment for the person to sign so they could then go on about their cruise.

Get over it' date=' please.....:cool:[/quote']

Pretty sure it makes a difference to the OP .... geesh. Nice compassion.

OP, I am so sorry for everything you had to endure onboard the ship and in this thread. Feel better!

So' date=' the contracts/terms and conditions are printed simply to waste space?

OP is angry because she was treated for an obvious pre-condition that was a life-threatening event and was taken to hospital. That's exactly what should have happened.[/quote']

How do you know what "should" have happened. You were not there.

So' date=' the contracts/terms and conditions are printed simply to waste space?

OP is angry because [b']she[/b] was treated for an obvious pre-condition that was a life-threatening event and was taken to hospital. That's exactly what should have happened.

In addition, OP should have advised Carnival that this condition existed and fainting was part of the deal.

It's not that I'm not sympathic with OP, however, what happened during her cruise, with regard the health issue, is exactly right..and is in the contracts.

There's no "so what" about it.

Since about 4 people have pointed out the gender to you, it can only be assumed that you are doing this on purpose for some reason. You are being a distraction- please stop!

Archived