Don't get sick on carnival

apollobeach

jmps - I just went through a broken glass incident, but thankfully I didn't report it because I've heard about the third degree treatment. On the fantasy class ships, the drinking glasses are on a tray under the phone. The phone falls off the hook and knocks down the glasses.. I cut my foot. I picked up the glass, bandaged my foot, put a towel on the floor over the tiny shards and went to get our steward. He says it happens all the time, and I leave so he can vacuum. Come back an hour later, the towel is gone, but there is still glass on the carpet, so I tell the cabin steward. He says the vacuum won't pick it up and this happens all the time, so I say maybe the glasses shouldn't sit under the phone since the receiver falls off easily. He says "glasses must go there, it's a rule." LOL

I still think its better to be safe then sorry, as you stated you passed out 2X on the ship. If you had died would the trip ins pay? I dont think so. Would your partner be suing Carnival,,,maybe. At least you had travel insurance-that is what its for. Thankfully you are still alive and able to tell your story.

shipping your body back is one of the main reasons for buying travel insurance. I don't think you are at all familiar with this type of insurance.

of course if you die on the ship they just put your body in the ship's morgue

I am with you on all that. We should meet over cocktails and share our "being put off the ship in a foreign country for medical attention" experiences. Ours had a great outcome as well. And I think if I weren't so delerious when we landed by air ambulance in Miami, I would have been kissing that ground too. Of course Belize is a tad different than Grand Cayman. :eek: OK, back to our regularly scheduled programming... :)

Next time your in NY, or we are together on a cruise, you can bet it will be my treat!:p:D

shipping your body back is one of the main reasons for buying travel insurance. I don't think you are at all familiar with this type of insurance.

of course if you die on the ship they just put your body in the ship's morgue

Well thanks very much for letting me know that!

In addition to fainting twice, you also visited one hospital where you were treated and yes, released. However, you state that after that you still had to have at least one IV treatment. (Sorry, your letter is very long and I may have messed up some details.)After needing IVs two times within a short period of time, you really think they should not have had you go to an official hospital? Wow. I would have wanted to be somewhere with more medical facilities than a ship infirmary.

your letter is a little to long for me to read right now...but you are right...get good travel insurance

as I said..i can't read the entire letter.....but maybe you have a legal issue here...

and for the record...I do not believe in friviolous lawsuits...or making mountains out of molehills

Your post is pretty rude :mad: Why don't you try reading the whole post before you bother replying.

Exactly what are you complaining about? If you are sick, go to a hospital. A cruise ship is not a hospital Why did you waste hours writing that nonsense posting?

I think you, and most of the people in this thread, are not quite getting the point. I believe the OP is upset he was landed, but more upset by the lack of assistance from Carnival once they were landed in St. Lucia and the blatant lies told by the medical staff in order to relieve themselves of liability. At least I think that's what he's saying... the part about the lies on the part of the Carnival medical staff were a little confusing but that's what I got from it.

I can understand being upset, especially if this is a known medical issue and that was explained to the medical staff. It seems ridiculous to say that no one with a medical condition shouldn't cruise... that would eliminate most cruisers, especially elderly cruisers, I would think! I've even passed out in the past for really non serious reasons. Not one that would require medical assistance anyway. I have a heart murmur and sometimes if I step funny and over exert myself I get heart palps that have caused me to pass out a handful of times in my life. I saw a cardiologist when I was 10 and again when I was 16 and both times was told that this is just an unfortunate side effect of an otherwise "benign" condition and I don't need to worry about it. I played sports and lead a very active lifestyle with no issues. So if this were to happen on a cruise ship and they were to make a huge deal out of it and land me in a foreign country I'd be PISSED.

But then again, I wouldn't go to a cruise ship medical facility to complain about it. That is just asking for trouble, I'd think

Well thanks very much for letting me know that!

you joke but if you were to die while on the ship at least they will bring you back regardless of insurance

if you were to die while in a hospital on an island after the ship has left..your family, while they will be distraught....will at least be able to get you home for burial without having to spend a good portion of your life insurance to do so.

There is nothing wrong with having this info, btw.

I did read your entire letter. Like others said the ship isn't equiped to handle such major conditions...but I do wonder if you were ok'd to return to the ship after the first hospital why that wasn't good enough...but then again Carnival can make the final call. You are lucky you had good travel insurance...with a pre-existing waiver I would assume since you stated it was a pre-existing condition. While Carnival would have no responsibility for covering the cost of your travel home, would still think it would be in their best interest to assist you and make sure you GOT home...I mean they assisted the people who got in a fight get home for MX????

And for the record...they are not CARNIVAL medical staff...they are contracted staff...and technically cruise lines are only required to have medical staff for the crew it's just in their best interest to provide the service for passengers also. I work in healthcare and have done some research on cruise line medical care for a health law course I took.

You people defend Carnival like F.Lee Baily and Johnnie Cocheran defended OJ Simpson.:p

The man has a concern and wrote a well thought letter and it got him no where.

Moral of the story if you get sick do not go to the ships Dr.

And be sure to only faint in your cabin.....

The cruise contract states they are not liable...passengers assume all risk...period.

You are so far off base with your ignorant moral. You'll never know how many lives the ships infirmary staffs have saved, including my husbands. I hope that you never find yourself in need of their care. :rolleyes:

While on The Miracle I had fainted, and fainted once more on the Monday of the cruise. ......................:p

apollobeach,

Faint twice and have A Fib with RVR and you're off the ship EVERY time. Just one time fainting would have been enough with the RVR.

Good grief, the OP was fainting all over the place. What did she expect. Just another ho-hum rambling complaint. The medical facilities on board are limited. When, in the physicians opinion, there is a potentiial risk to the passenger, he will make arrangements for a hospital ashore. It's in the contract:

b) Carnival and the Master each reserves the right to refuse passage, disembark or confine to a stateroom any Guest whose physical or mental condition, or behavior would be considered in the sole opinion of the Captain and/or the ship's physician to constitute a risk to the Guest's own well-being or that of any other Guest or crew member.

and

(a) The Guest admits a full understanding of the character of the Vessel and assumes all risks incident to travel and transportation and handling of Guests and cargo. The Vessel may or may not carry a ship’s physician or other medical personnel at the election of Carnival. While at sea or in port the availability of medical care may be limited or delayed. Guest acknowledges that all or part of their voyage may be in areas where medical care and evacuation may not be available. Guest agrees to indemnify and reimburse Carnival in the event Carnival elects to advance the cost of emergency medical care, including medical care provided ashore as well as transportation and/or lodging in connection therewith.

She received no assistance...yet the port agent came to the hospital..I guess he came there just to stare.

NO doctor is going to second guess another doctors decision when the incident took place thousands of miles away...at least no reputable doctor would.

Just another frivolous attempt to get something for nothing in my opinion.

I think you, and most of the people in this thread, are not quite getting the point. I believe the OP is upset he was landed, but more upset by the lack of assistance from Carnival once they were landed in St. Lucia and the blatant lies told by the medical staff in order to relieve themselves of liability. At least I think that's what he's saying... the part about the lies on the part of the Carnival medical staff were a little confusing but that's what I got from it.

I can understand being upset, especially if this is a known medical issue and that was explained to the medical staff. It seems ridiculous to say that no one with a medical condition shouldn't cruise... that would eliminate most cruisers, especially elderly cruisers, I would think! I've even passed out in the past for really non serious reasons. Not one that would require medical assistance anyway. I have a heart murmur and sometimes if I step funny and over exert myself I get heart palps that have caused me to pass out a handful of times in my life. I saw a cardiologist when I was 10 and again when I was 16 and both times was told that this is just an unfortunate side effect of an otherwise "benign" condition and I don't need to worry about it. I played sports and lead a very active lifestyle with no issues. So if this were to happen on a cruise ship and they were to make a huge deal out of it and land me in a foreign country I'd be PISSED.

But then again, I wouldn't go to a cruise ship medical facility to complain about it. That is just asking for trouble, I'd think

What blatant lies did they tell. There was no reason for any lies. The man had unstable A fib. Automatic ticket off the boat.

They did their best to stabalize it and they could not.

I did read your entire letter. Like others said the ship isn't equiped to handle such major conditions...but I do wonder if you were ok'd to return to the ship after the first hospital why that wasn't good enough...but then again Carnival can make the final call. You are lucky you had good travel insurance...with a pre-existing waiver I would assume since you stated it was a pre-existing condition. While Carnival would have no responsibility for covering the cost of your travel home, would still think it would be in their best interest to assist you and make sure you GOT home...I mean they assisted the people who got in a fight get home for MX????

And for the record...they are not CARNIVAL medical staff...they are contracted staff...and technically cruise lines are only required to have medical staff for the crew it's just in their best interest to provide the service for passengers also. I work in healthcare and have done some research on cruise line medical care for a health law course I took.

Has it occured to you they thought they had it stabalized, but it was not.

You people defend Carnival like F.Lee Baily and Johnnie Cocheran defended OJ Simpson.:p

No, just go back to your cabin and possibly die from a serious medical condition.

I think the next time he cruises he should take his cardiologist with him.

There is nothing to defend. Everything concerning this entire issue is covered under the ticket contract/terms and conditions. The OP obviously didn't read it before, so didn't notify Carnival of her medical conditions...and the limits to the care available onboard...nor did she read about being put ashore in a hospital if the physician believes she needs more care. And what's more, she obviously hasn't read it today..or she wouldn't have written such a ridiculous letter...

The fact that she was fainting all over the place was a pretty good indication she should have told someone about her A-Tac. The one good thing she did was buy insurance.

As for all the nonsense about lies told by "them" and pushing her aside to avoid liability is simply that ... nonsense.

There is nothing to defend. Everything concerning this entire issue is covered under the ticket contract/terms and conditions. The OP obviously didn't read it before' date=' so didn't notify Carnival of her medical conditions...and the limits to the care available onboard...nor did she read about being put ashore in a hospital if the physician believes she needs more care. And what's more, she obviously hasn't read it today..or she wouldn't have written such a ridiculous letter...

The fact that she was fainting all over the place was a pretty good indication she should have told someone about her A-Tac. The one good thing she did was buy insurance.

As for all the nonsense about lies told by "them" and pushing her aside to avoid liability is simply that ... nonsense.[/quote']

Him not her:rolleyes:

I really don't understand why you people are so loyal to Carnival, This man has a very valid complaint, is it really too much to ask that a company that provides room and board to guests in a remote location do more for that guest than mitigate liability and abandon them at the first opportunity?

You all should be ashamed of yourselves for bad mouthing a fellow human being in deference to a monumental faceless soulless corporation.

BTW, I love Carnival cruises but I certainly am not blindly allegiant to them.

Archived