Royal Caribbean Signs Letter of Intent to Build New Generation of Ships

I am only going to post this one time and one time only. 1 GRT = approx. 100 cubic feet of interior space. With that said, smaller GRT on the new class of ship can indeed add more passengers with less space without compromise.

The reason being is that this new class of ship (Sunshine) will need less space for propulson and generation of power due to the Sunshine aspect. This new breed of ocean vessel will utilize solar power for a majority of the operating systems.

For obvious reason I cannot reveal my sources for this information. Many of you will flame me and discount this information as myth.

Mock my words now and then realize that this information in the coming months will prove to be true.

Bookmark this and we will see for sure in the future.

OOO! OOO!

"Photovoltaic of the Seas"

"Super Nova of the Seas"

we've come up with some good names for the new vessels....

some are humor related. Can you figure out which are humor?

Reflection of the Seas

Shimmer of the Seas

Illumination of the Seas

Amore of the Seas

Temperance of the Seas

Sentiment of the Seas

Wonder of the Seas

Honor of the Seas

Dignity of the Seas

Serendipity of the Seas

Apollo of the Seas

Tranquility of the Seas

The Limpid of the Seas

The Parting of the Seas

Sparkle of the Seas

Twinkle of the Seas

Sizzle of the Seas

Crackle of the Seas

Bellweather of the Seas

Tsunami of the Seas

Vehement of the Seas

Cornucopia of the Seas

Very Interesting news here from Germany: the german Dockyard Meyer Papenburg published official news about a contract between Meyer Papenburg and RCI.

They will build up a new ship for autuum 2014. The project and new class will be called "Sunshine Class". The fist ship is fixex and the second is confirmed as an option/additional order.

The ship get space for 4.100 people and will cost round about 697 million euro! It would be round about 158.000 BRZ. (i don´t know how to calculate it in gross tonnage). They will be bigger than the freedom class ships.

One more fact is also that the ships have a lot more single people cabins like other rci ships yet. (Like NCL with the norwegian epic)

One major difference. RCI knows how to design ships. Carnival does not. :)

As some of the younger generation might say; Tru dat:). My main reason for asking about the space ratio was, I just was curious how it was comparable to the Dream, because sooner or later a Carnival fanatic with try to come up with a remark about how RCI is desperate for revenue and, on paper, is cramming more people a smaller ship.

Gregg

I am only going to post this one time and one time only. 1 GRT = approx. 100 cubic feet of interior space. With that said, smaller GRT on the new class of ship can indeed add more passengers with less space without compromise.

The reason being is that this new class of ship (Sunshine) will need less space for propulson and generation of power due to the Sunshine aspect. This new breed of ocean vessel will utilize solar power for a majority of the operating systems.

For obvious reason I cannot reveal my sources for this information. Many of you will flame me and discount this information as myth.

Mock my words now and then realize that this information in the coming months will prove to be true.

Why would anyone flame or mock you? I think it's a good idea. We're already seeing solar power used on Oasis Class and Celebrity's Solstice Class. It only stands to reason they would further the technology.

While this sounds good in theory I find it difficult to believe that solar will power the "majority" of operations.....heck I don't even think they ever even installed all the solar cells on Allure that Oasis got. There was also an article out recently that Carnival did away with some solar technology as they didn't see the return on cost.

Do a Google search on "Project Sunshine".... interesting results if Royal were truly naming this project referring to anything to do with solar.....most hits refer to family and children in need programs....I didn't even see the word solar mentioned till page 5.

I am just very happy that they have scaled down from the Beomouth of the Seas class. Now I can skip that class totally - and wait for the next class if I want to sail a ship that still has the "new car" smell.... ;):D
You have no idea what your missing:rolleyes:

There is a person that works for STX shipyard and he posts on a small cruise board. He stated that RCI never took up the option for a fourth Freedom class. Also he stated that since the Freedom class was designed there were a lot of advances in technology and the ship would have to be redesigned anyway. This may be that redesign.
Whatever it is , can't wait to see what she looks like and what surprises are in store for us:)

The "Voyager" class was actually called "Eagle" Class.

And "Freedom" class was called "Ultra-Voyager" class.

Radiance was Vantage class.

And Sovereign was "Mega Class."

My only question...Wasn't Vision Class called "Vision Class" from the beginning, and then the name was finally applied to the last ship? Refresh my memory.

You are correct oh wise one Totally forgot that bit of trivia, thanks

...here are all:

Project Vision --> Legend of the Seas, Splendour of the Seas,Enchantment of the Seas, Vision of the Seas

Project Voyager (later Project Vantage) --> Radiance of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas

Project Eagle --> Voyager of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas, Adventure of the Seas, Navigator of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas

Project Ultra-Voyager --> Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Independence of the Seas

Project Genesis --> Oasis of the Seas, Allure of the Seas

How do you know it's "essentially the same structure"???:confused:

Considering that the largest ship ever built by MW is the Disney Dream, and she's 30T lighter and 60ft narrower than FOS (while carrying the same passenger load), it's entirely possible that a longer, slimmer hull design will emerge. I'm thinking FOS length, Radiance width and height, and a profile that will be more port friendly.

Considering that the largest ship ever built by MW is the Disney Dream, and she's 30T lighter and 60ft narrower than FOS (while carrying the same passenger load), it's entirely possible that a longer, slimmer hull design will emerge. I'm thinking FOS length, Radiance width and height, and a profile that will be more port friendly.

I agree. There are limitations to the width of the new builds that come out of Meyer Werft. Here is a good example of why. There is a set of locks (I assume that it's a set of locks) that the ship has to pass through just outside of the shipyard. As you can see the new Celebrity Eclipse leaving the shipyard is a tight squeeze.

4311.jpg

But would that add up to a 158k GT ship? Taking the FOS and making it skinnier and shorter should not make it heavier. Seems like it would be a bit "light" with those dimensions, as the new ship is supposedly just slightly larger in registered size then the FOS

But would that add up to a 158k GT ship? Taking the FOS and making it skinnier and shorter should not make it heavier. Seems like it would be a bit "light" with those dimensions, as the new ship is supposedly just slightly larger in registered size then the FOS

GT is not the physical weight of the ship. It's complicated, but it's basically a measurement of the amount of enclosed space within the ship. So far, there is no mention of the ship's dimensions...at least, not that I've seen.

GT is not the physical weight of the ship. It's complicated, but it's basically a measurement of the amount of enclosed space within the ship. So far, there is no mention of the ship's dimensions...at least, not that I've seen.

Disney Dream.......................125' wide.........1115' long.....128,000 tons

Freedom of the Seas.............127' wide.........1112' long.....160,000 tons

Very close in dimensions, 32,000 tons difference.

Disney Dream.......................125' wide.........1115' long.....128,000 tons

Freedom of the Seas.............127' wide.........1112' long.....160,000 tons

Very close in dimensions, 32,000 tons difference.

Oh but if I'm correct, I think FOTS is actually 154,000 tons.

Archived