Carnival insurance or another company?

majosa

On our last cruise we went thru a TA and got the insurance she suggested (Travel guard) This time we are booking thru a PVP. What i am wondering is this. I know for a 5 day on Carnival it is 49 a person. I was told by someone that Carnivals insurance is not as inclusive as other companys. If we dont get Carnivals insurance then who would ya'll recommend? Thank you! Oh we have not booked yet but will be in the next month for next years trip!

YOU need to read the policies and compare. Carnival and Berkley Care have some great options and coverage that others don't offer (Cancel for any reason, job loss, etc,etc) However, the downside may be that they only offer a "Cruise Credit" rather than a cash back refund option.

These are choices that YOU have to make. NO ONE policy is best for everyone and no one company fits everyones needs.

YOU have to do the research.

One place to get started is http://www.insuremytrip.com to compare policies side by side

or,, you could start here and become very educated in the field http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=635

YOU need to read the policies and compare. Carnival and Berkley Care have some great options and coverage that others don't offer (Cancel for any reason, job loss, etc,etc) However, the downside may be that they only offer a "Cruise Credit" rather than a cash back refund option.

These are choices that YOU have to make. NO ONE policy is best for everyone and no one company fits everyones needs.

YOU have to do the research.

One place to get started is www.insuremytrip.com to compare policies side by side

I have looked at others and compared. I wanted opinions as what others have used and thought was better. This is a board and people can ask for help. I got the information on this site about a site to go to that compared. But i wanted to see what others could say was better

I have looked at others and compared. I wanted opinions as what others have used and thought was better. This is a board and people can ask for help. I got the information on this site about a site to go to that compared. But i wanted to see what others could say was better

YOU didn't state that.

I'm sorry you want someone here to TELL you what to do.

Sorry I tried to help and lead you to resources that could help you make a better decision.

I just yesterday purchased the insurance for upcoming 7 day cruise in July. So I went to the insuremytrip web site. This time I decided that Travel Safe was best for this trip. They offered more $$ covereage for missing luggage, trip delay and a high refund % for trip cancelation. Also they offered cancel for any reason. On our last cruise we used Travel guard thru out TA. I have never purchased thru Carnival simply because of cost. Not sure if this is the info your looking for. Good luck in your research.

YOU didn't state that.

I'm sorry you want someone here to TELL you what to do.

Sorry I tried to help and lead you to resources that could help you make a better decision.

No that is not helping when you CAPITALIZE then it seems you are yelling at the person. I dont know you so i suddenly see only one word in your paragraph capitalize and it appears you are yelling. I only ask for help on these boards. That is why they are here. To help other people make the best choices from other peoples experiences. I stated the facts. I had used one company and before going with Carnival i wanted to know if others thought there was one that was better. Asking for opinions is not getting someone to TELL me what to do.

No that is not helping when you CAPITALIZE then it seems you are yelling at the person. I dont know you so i suddenly see only one word in your paragraph capitalize and it appears you are yelling. I only ask for help on these boards. That is why they are here. To help other people make the best choices from other peoples experiences. I stated the facts. I had used one company and before going with Carnival i wanted to know if others thought there was one that was better. Asking for opinions is not getting someone to TELL me what to do.

So, are you saying the information provided offered no new information and/or guidance?

or

you just couldn't get past the YOU?

I just yesterday purchased the insurance for upcoming 7 day cruise in July. So I went to the insuremytrip web site. This time I decided that Travel Safe was best for this trip. They offered more $$ covereage for missing luggage, trip delay and a high refund % for trip cancelation. Also they offered cancel for any reason. On our last cruise we used Travel guard thru out TA. I have never purchased thru Carnival simply because of cost. Not sure if this is the info your looking for. Good luck in your research.

Thank you and yes this is the kind of information i am looking for. When we used Travel guard it was actually more than Carnvial. But i will continue to take the advice of others and compare some more. Thank you again.

So, are you saying the information provided offered no new information and/or guidance?

or

you just couldn't get past the YOU?

No i read the inforamtion several times. But when you continue to put YOU in capital letters it makes it seem like you want to be jerk. Why do that. All you had to do was like the others and give an opinion. All you had to do was say hey "Carnival and Berkley Care have some great options and coverage that others don't offer (Cancel for any reason, job loss, etc,etc) However, the downside may be that they only offer a "Cruise Credit" rather than a cash back refund option.

and then mention the website.

I just dont understand why you feel the need to make it seem that no one else reads the forums or researches. We do but sometimes it is nice to post a question and get your own answers. Yea i read the other information but someone else who has not seen that thread might can add something more useful.

I don't think that the Carnival insurance covers as much as the insurance that I get from various companies through insuremytrip.

I usually compare 3 or 4 different companies and I look for at least $500K of medical including evac coverage.

I typically find a policy either with CSA or Travelguard that fits my needs.

My next cruise is in 2 weeks and my policy is with Travel Guard for $213 total for my sister and I who are 54 and 53.

I don't think that the Carnival insurance covers as much as the insurance that I get from various companies through insuremytrip.

I usually compare 3 or 4 different companies and I look for at least $500K of medical including evac coverage.

I typically find a policy either with CSA or Travelguard that fits my needs.

My next cruise is in 2 weeks and my policy is with Travel Guard for $213 total for my sister and I who are 54 and 53.

That is what i was curious about. My friend mentioned that Carnival didnt cover like other companies. And worst case i want to make sure that if something did happen we will be covered. We are in our mid 30's but one has a medical condition and we wanted to get an idea of what others though. Thank you!

I am REALLY confused now!

Did Carnival just change their trip insurance?

In previous years they did NOT cover for pre existing conditions. Is that something they cover now??

We have always used the insurance offered by our TA because it DOES cover pre existing conditions.

Carnival has recently added a "Cancel for any reason" option I think. But I bought insurance with travelguard for this trip because of the high medevac options. I'm not worried about cancellations as much as I am aware of the cost of lifeflights and medical expenses in another country. Friends of ours bought the Carnival insurance a few years ago and when they had their business flooded by Katrina, Carnival did not think that an acceptable reason for canceling the trip and they lost their money. (They have a medical office and had to cancel to save files and equipment from mold and water damage, along with prevent looting). Left a bad taste in my mouth for Carnival insurance at that time, but it was one of the loopholes that the damage had to put you out of your residence to be covered. A lot of folks had their cars wasted in the lots down in Galveston... very sad/bad end to the cruise for them. But, I'm not fond of any insurance. Seems that they are all too willing to take your money, but are very reticent to give some of it back, even if the policy wording specifically demarcates your case.

Thank you and yes this is the kind of information i am looking for. When we used Travel guard it was actually more than Carnvial. But i will continue to take the advice of others and compare some more. Thank you again.

The problem is comparing all the various policies and trying to figure out which one is really best for you. The limits, and what's covered, are all different. It's really hard to make comparisons.

I was on the phone yesterday with TG. (I had a credit, and had to deal directly with them.) The price insuremytrip quoted for TG policies was exactly the same as what TG themselves quoted. Normally I do it all on-line with insuremytrip, but speaking to the TG rep was a good thing. He explained some differences in their policies, and made a solid recommendation based on what I told him I was looking for.

Just make sure you're comparing apples to apples when you look at the different policies. Cheap isn't necessarily good, and most times you get what you pay for.

No i read the inforamtion several times. But when you continue to put YOU in capital letters it makes it seem like you want to be jerk. Why do that. All you had to do was like the others and give an opinion. All you had to do was say hey "Carnival and Berkley Care have some great options and coverage that others don't offer (Cancel for any reason, job loss, etc,etc) However, the downside may be that they only offer a "Cruise Credit" rather than a cash back refund option.

and then mention the website.

I just dont understand why you feel the need to make it seem that no one else reads the forums or researches. We do but sometimes it is nice to post a question and get your own answers. Yea i read the other information but someone else who has not seen that thread might can add something more useful.

My apologies if I made you feel I was being a jerk.

I ASSUMED ,,mea culpa

Your original post only indicated that in the past you went with TravelGard because the TA told you to. This time the PVP is mentioning Berkley.

Nowhere in the original post did you say that you have read and researched and gone to comparison websites.

Once again, I assumed, that you had not. Therefore, I was trying my best to offer research sites and educational sites. I was also trying to let YOU know, that not all insuarance policies cover everyones needs. YOU did not indicate what parts are more important to you such as pre-existing due to diabeties, or cancel for any reason, or primary vs secondary coverage, $50K medical evac vs $1M evac, etc,etc,etc.

It is very confusing as they all seem to be a bit different in one or more coverage limits. I have been looking at it today.

Also have to think about what you have for health insurance at home and will that cover things when out of the US. I also have a high deductible insurance plan to think about.

Initially I was thinking about getting insurance that was Primary but I think that is actually a negative when my normal insurance is high deductible.

So I went with Travel Safe. It's secondary but will cover my out of pocket expenses that I have with my main insurance. Plus high limit for medical and very good medical evac coverage.

Might even be over insured if my normal insurance would cover things. But it was only about $20 more than plans with much lower limits so that is what I went with.

klfrodo,

There is an old saying that applies here and that IS to never assume anything.

The lady simply ask a question and everyone else tried to be helpful. I myself found your anwer to be very offensive. That is the first time I have seen anyone on this board do that. I have found everyone else to be very helpful.

klfrodo,

There is an old saying that applies here and that IS to never assume anything.

The lady simply ask a question and everyone else tried to be helpful. I myself found your anwer to be very offensive. That is the first time I have seen anyone on this board do that. I have found everyone else to be very helpful.

What part did you find offensive and unhelpful?

This part?

Carnival and Berkley Care have some great options and coverage that others don't offer (Cancel for any reason, job loss, etc,etc) However, the downside may be that they only offer a "Cruise Credit" rather than a cash back refund option.

This part?

NO ONE policy is best for everyone and no one company fits everyones needs

This part?

One place to get started is http://www.insuremytrip.com to compare policies side by side

or this part?

or,, you could start here and become very educated in the field http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum...ysprune=&f=635

Now, for not understanding the OP's question, I offered my mia culpa

I'm not really sure how you added to the thread, but if it made you feel better to chastise me,, you're very welcome.

I wish I had known that I could get pre-existing condition insurance if I got it if within 15 days of paying my deposit. I didn't discover that until now and I paid the deposit on our trip 16 days ago. :(

I have CAD and had a heart attack at 53. I use ITI Patriot (sp ? )

( I Travel Insured ) Elite plan. You DO NOT have to purchase it within 14 days of deposit for it to cover pre existing conditions. I have a cruise booked for March1 2012 and they will not even insure it yet as it is more than a year away. It has very good medical coverage as that is my main concern. It is very reasonable in price , also.

Archived