Does anyone else retain water on cruises

oceansandseas

I hope that someone might have an answer as to why I retain water on cruises. Healthy female. I seem to retain water when on a cruise. I have special shoes in a larger size that I wear on cruises. Also I must make sure that my clothing is not too tight in the waist. Feel it in my hands also. I am sure people are thinking of the food issue. However it is more than that. Loose it immediately when I get home.

I have not gone swimming in the salt water pools on our last few cruises and I have been a bit better. Do I spend too much time in the shower?

I drink very little alcohol (usually a glass of white wine with dinner) but drink plenty of water. I drink lots of water to try to combat the retension of water.

Any suggestions or ideas of why this happens. My doctor has no idea why this would happen. It is not serious but wonder if it happens to others. I love to cruise and know that this will happen again, but still looking forward to my next cruise.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Oceansandseas,

I find that European chefs tend to over-salt the foods they prepare. I always gain a few pounds even with lengthy daily brisk deck walking sessions on TA crossings. Within a week of returning home that added weight is gone. I attribute this to water retention because I do not add salt when I cook as I feel I get enough sodium naturally from what I eat (my Dr. confirms my electrolyte levels are in balance).

jocar3,

I have experienced foot swelling during long-haul or multiple-stop international flights when I removed my shoes upon boarding and noticed it when putting them back on before landing. When I leave my shoes on I don't really notice the swelling. Is your husband in full power-down relaxation mode while onboard and much more active at home?

Retaining water is generally due to too much salt in the diet. Drinking a lot of water and exercise will not help. I find that I have this problem when I eat out or eat prepared foods that are not low sodium. Fortunately, my favorite cruise line uses very little salt when they prepare food so I do not retain water when I am on a cruise. Try not eating food that tastes salty or you think might have a lot of salt in it. Yes, skip the salt on the Margaritas (and on the chips and nuts)!

Thanks to all who answered. I will try to drink only bottled water. I usually do just brush my teeth with the water from the tap as I do at home. Then take a drink also. I will also watch the foods that may contain salt. I thought that someone might know of a different cause.

Does anyone know about swimming in salt water pools.

Next month I will try the bottled water and less salt to see what happens.

An easy, quick resolution is to visit the Spa and purchase a tube of Elemis Refreshing Gel. Rub the gel on your ankles and wrists ~also the back of your neck. Very effective for salt retention. It's truly magical.

I'm never without a tube of Refreshing gel ~at home or on a ship!:p

Martita B.

Thanks to oceansandseas for posing this question. I suffer from the same problem. The swelling gets quite uncomfortable and goes away over the course of a couple of days when I get home. We cruise next week, and though I'm looking forward to it -I'm actively dreading the swelling. So this isn't some off-the-wall question.

I think Daneite is on to something. It is entirely possible that during the water-making process, sodium is used. And since I drink things made with the ship's water quite a bit (big iced tea drinker, coffee, ice water, etc) it would follow that I'm consuming sodium on a level I never do at home.

ANY ADDED SALT to my food. Some cruise lines are worse then others for me. There are a couple who do add way too much salt. I have spoken to F & B, but don't want to make a scene. I have found that if I have only shrimp or something that can not have salt I am fine. Yes, I have to skip all the good food. Also eating in the restaurants other than the MDR works as I can have crab or shrimp and nothing cooked. Yes, we have a large yacht and the desalination process includes salt. So, there is no really good answer. I am sorry to say--don't eat all that good tasting food. The salt and seasonings will get you!

Several years ago there was a thread that addressed the issue of water retention. At that time several people stated that when the on- board water was treated for use, sodium was added in the process. Hence, any water, ice tea, ice cubes would have sodium. I too, suffer from the malady of water retention on board...just have to really watch your imput of liquid and food. Only positive, it does disappear a few days after leaving the ship. I do find, that excercise while on board does help the situation...Three miles daily on the treadmill, whenever possible, will lessen the effects.

'Too much salt" is a matter of personal taste and needs. Many of the complaints about bland cruise line food stem from the fact that cruise chefs often hold back on sugar and salt in their recipes in consideration of the older clientele. I had a European F&B manager of a luxury cruise ship tell me he was very frustrated that he could not properly prepare classic French dishes because of the company restrictions regarding salt, sugar and spices in the ship's food. As for water retention and swelling feet, that sounds like a health issue.

We sailed with a gentleman from Monaco who was taken to hospital in Athens and had four litres of fluid drained from him. Obviously a severe medical problem BUT he still sails - the waiters every evening bring him the next nights menu and whatever he and his wife requests, the meal is cooked especially and its salt free. So if you want salt free it only needs requesting but it has to be the evening before.

Archived