Pacific Pearl - to cruise or cancel?

oskarNZ

Hi everyone,

I'd love to hear from anyone who has cruised on the Pearl about what they did and didn't like about it. Would you cruise on the Pearl again, or if you could turn back time, would you book a different holiday altogether?

I am presently booked for a Pearl cruise, and due to a number of different reasons, I am toying with the idea of cancelling before it's too late to get a refund on my deposit. I love cruising and am sure there are a lot of things I would really like about the Pearl. It's just that I can't shake this niggly feeling that it's not the right cruise for me, particularly if bad weather causes me to miss out on Ports (one of the main drawcards for picking this particular cruise)

For not too much more money, I could rebook a cruise on a different ship, so I'm also very keen to hear some comparisons between P&O and other companies that cruise in the Australia/NZ market (particularly Princess and RCL).

Any opinions, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated. However, I would also really appreciate it if people could refrain from any unhelpful or judgemental comments. I've been reading P&O fan pages to try and do some research and have been shocked by the rudeness of some P&O fans when people dare question or critcise the company. I'm not sure if they think they are being advocates for P&O, but they are actually having the opposite effect.

Anyway, people on this site appear to be much less biased, so I'd really love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Hi everyone,

I'd love to hear from anyone who has cruised on the Pearl about what they did and didn't like about it. Would you cruise on the Pearl again, or if you could turn back time, would you book a different holiday altogether?

I am presently booked for a Pearl cruise, and due to a number of different reasons, I am toying with the idea of cancelling before it's too late to get a refund on my deposit. I love cruising and am sure there are a lot of things I would really like about the Pearl. It's just that I can't shake this niggly feeling that it's not the right cruise for me, particularly if bad weather causes me to miss out on Ports (one of the main drawcards for picking this particular cruise)

For not too much more money, I could rebook a cruise on a different ship, so I'm also very keen to hear some comparisons between P&O and other companies that cruise in the Australia/NZ market (particularly Princess and RCL).

Any opinions, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated. However, I would also really appreciate it if people could refrain from any unhelpful or judgemental comments. I've been reading P&O fan pages to try and do some research and have been shocked by the rudeness of some P&O fans when people dare question or critcise the company. I'm not sure if they think they are being advocates for P&O, but they are actually having the opposite effect.

Anyway, people on this site appear to be much less biased, so I'd really love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

hi, we have cruised a lot and we can find faults with any ship including Princess or the Rhapsody but it doesnt bother us.....no ship is perfect, its what you make it.... a few people have been complaining about the Pearl but i wouldnt worry to much about the negative reports as they will get it right....go with an open mind that you are going to have a good time

one thing the ship cant do is predict the weather but the captain will always look after his passengers and we have been on cruises and arrived in port 8 hours late because of the weather

someone from facebook made a posting from Luganville

on the Pearl ATM in Luganville. very hot and humid. but lovely on ship. had fun at Island night last night, beautiful dinner yet again at Waterfront restaurant served by Dave and Helen, great cocktails made by Jesse and Johnston doing a great job keeping our cabin clean. The Pearl is an unbeliveable ship just as I was ...expecting! you would be pretty hard to please not to enjoy a holiday on this ship

Hi Rkmw,

Thanks for your reply. I do agree that all ships will have their pros and cons and there will undoubtedly be things I will like about the Pearl. For example, it seems from the reviews that the on-board entertainment is excellent and so are the kids facilities.

However, I think perhaps I am being picky because of how very hard I'm saving to afford this trip. I'd love to be a position to cruise regularly and try out different companies, but the chance to cruise down this side of the world may not come up again for many many years. I figure if I do my research, I will hopefully be rewarded with a fabulous holiday and no unexpected disappointments :)

If you had the choice to cruise only one of the following; Diamond Princess, Pacific Pearl or Rhapsody, can I ask which one you'd choose and why?

Thanks heaps.

Hi Oskar in answer to the last part of your question, I have sailed on all 3 ships you mentioned and for me personally it would be Diamond Princess, then Rhapsody and then Pacific Pearl, however any cruise is a good cruise, I just happen to like the Princess product as I think it offers better value for money and shopping around you can get good prices for cruising Princess.

It purely comes down to what you make of it. A friend of mine went to the US for six months, did two over there (Epic, I know for certain and an RCCL ship I don't know the name, but it looked atleast on par with Rhapsody from the pics, etc). THeir only australian cruise was on the Pacific Sun.

For a number of reasons, one of their cruises in the US was a disaster, weather, room etc but they still found a way to enjoy it. Even now, their cruise on the smallest and perhaps most basic ship (the sun) is still their favourite. Regardless of what people write on their reviews it is always subjective. FOr example, the two cruises I did, i loved - the first was a group of 19, second time it was 55. I only heard one complaint from our group (on both, from the same person...but thats a separate issue). SO it was safe to say that our whole group loved it, with no issues, for both cruises.

Yet of about 3 - 4 review I read two of them were completely the opposite. Its one of those things that comes down to an individual level, like anything, it is purely what you make it.

Hi Rkmw,

Thanks for your reply. I do agree that all ships will have their pros and cons and there will undoubtedly be things I will like about the Pearl. For example, it seems from the reviews that the on-board entertainment is excellent and so are the kids facilities.

However, I think perhaps I am being picky because of how very hard I'm saving to afford this trip. I'd love to be a position to cruise regularly and try out different companies, but the chance to cruise down this side of the world may not come up again for many many years. I figure if I do my research, I will hopefully be rewarded with a fabulous holiday and no unexpected disappointments :)

If you had the choice to cruise only one of the following; Diamond Princess, Pacific Pearl or Rhapsody, can I ask which one you'd choose and why?

Thanks heaps.

hi oskar, the Diamond wins hands down but its a 5 star ship, the Rhapsody is good also but both ships are in USD which can make a difference

we have just come off the Pacific Jewel a couple of weeks ago and we enjoyed ourselves so we have booked on the Pacific Pearl in July, one thing we found with p&o the rooms are bigger than princess or Rhapsody and we could drink the coffee and we did find the entertainment very good on the Jewel

if you could do a fly/cruise one way from Sydney/ Auckland on the Diamond that would be a good cruise but the Diamond only comes to Sydney Dec thru to Feb

Gosh, thanks for all your helpful replies. I didn't think I'd get so many, so quickly.

The end of the year is when I'm looking at cruising, hence the inclusion of the Diamond Princess.

With a slight cabin downgrade, a 13 night fly/cruise with the Diamond is only marginally more expensive than a Pacific Island 10 night on the Pearl. The Rhapsody, however is noticeably more expensive, so perhaps I should take that out the equation?

There is an obvious difference between ports, and I would prefer the Islands, but given the season I am guessing that the NZ/Aus ports of the Diamond are less likely to get cancelled.

Out of interest, what is the Fiordland part of the Diamond cruise like? I am curious what fiords/sounds the ship goes to and how deep into the sounds a ship that size can go.

Also, any comparisons on the entertainment, food, onboard prices etc would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks wonderful people

Gosh, thanks for all your helpful replies. I didn't think I'd get so many, so quickly.

The end of the year is when I'm looking at cruising, hence the inclusion of the Diamond Princess.

With a slight cabin downgrade, a 13 night fly/cruise with the Diamond is only marginally more expensive than a Pacific Island 10 night on the Pearl. The Rhapsody, however is noticeably more expensive, so perhaps I should take that out the equation?

There is an obvious difference between ports, and I would prefer the Islands, but given the season I am guessing that the NZ/Aus ports of the Diamond are less likely to get cancelled.

Out of interest, what is the Fiordland part of the Diamond cruise like? I am curious what fiords/sounds the ship goes to and how deep into the sounds a ship that size can go.

Also, any comparisons on the entertainment, food, onboard prices etc would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks wonderful people

Hiya

I have done Diamond, Rhapsody and hopefully soon to do Pearl.

I did NZ on the Sun Princess.

Quite often many ships can't get into the Sounds due to weather, so if that is part of your equation of cruising and missing ports you need to take that into consideration.

My choice? WOW, it's a difficult decision. I loved both the Diamond and Rhapsody. I have done one P&O and it was OK and I would cruise with them again. Like others have said, it's what you make of it that counts.

Food is similar on Rhapsody and Diamond. P&O food is not as good IMO (yeah I get bashed elsewhere for saying that too!)

Entertainment is far better on P&O -ie. something happening on pool deck all the time and their theatre shows are much better. They also have circque which is good too and something different.

Shopping on Rhapsody was abysmal, Diamond wins hands down and P&O were ok too.

I was on the cyclone vania cruise on Rhapsody. We didn't miss any ports, well we did miss Isle of Pines, but the captain just rearranged the schedule. Isle of Pines was missed due to the damage.

Rhapsody prices will drop....keep your eye open for specials. They discount differently to P&O and Princess. You just have to keep your eyes peeled and know the costs before/after.

Touch decision choosing. Pros and cons for all.

Just wanted to add my opinion. My husband and I have been on 7 cruises, 1 on Carnival, one on Pacific Pearl a couple of weeks ago and 5 on Princess. We have taken our family on the Diamond Princess who are aged in their 20's and early 30's and our young grandchildren. They had the most amazing time on the Diamond. We did the NZ/Australia cruise. We have been on her 3 times and find it hard to find better. We took our family on the Pacific Pearl a few weeks ago and they all said it just doesn't compare. It doesn't mean we didn't have a great time, we did, but only because we were all together and had a ball but there are so many things on the Pacific Pearl that just doesn't come up to Princess' standard. The reality is that you are comparing 5 star Diamond to Pacific Pearl which is 3 and half star. The islands are good but if you have to go between January and March it is too risky being cyclone season, we were so lucky to be on the January 19th cruise and had good weather. I wouldnt go on P & O again but that is only because I have been on Princess, if you dont have anything to compare you would probably think it is okay. It makes no difference also if you go on Princess or P & O for spending money on the ship because the American dollar and the Australian dollar are worth the same at the moment. It is up to you but I know what I would do!!! Any questions I am happy to answer.

Going around NZ and doing the islands, both have the same chance of Ports been missed, although when you do the islands, you have more chance of missing Ports as most of the islands you have to Anchor at (bar 3 islands: Vila, Noumea & Luganville where you can dock), unlike when you go around NZ, most of the Ports you go to you dock (apart from if you go the Bay of Islands)

I have not been on the Diamond Princess, but we went in to Fiordland on the Volendam (Photos here) and we went in to Dusky Sound, Doubtful Sound and Milford Sound and I think most of the cruse ships that go around NZ (according to there Web cams) go in to in to all 3 of those Sounds if the weather lets them.

Hope this helps :)

The reality is that you are comparing 5 star Diamond to Pacific Pearl which is 3 and half star.

There the problem, people comparing 4 - 5 star ships with 3 and half - 4 star ships.

You just CANT do it, because 4 - 5 star ships will be BETTER then a 3 and half - 4 star ships.

It would be better if you compare other 3 and half - 4 star ships with each other e.g.: Pacific Sun V Pacific Pearl & Pacific Jewel V Pacific Dawn & vice versa….

It's just that I can't shake this niggly feeling that it's not the right cruise for me, particularly if bad weather causes me to miss out on Ports (one of the main drawcards for picking this particular cruise)

That's one thing with cruising is that you could miss a Port due to the weather, but if you do miss a Port, it just means you need to book another cruise :D

If you don't want to miss a Port, then cruising maybe is not for you and you should cancel and book a land base holiday.

Wow, you are all so helpful! I should have been asking questions on this forum ages ago :)

Quite often many ships can't get into the Sounds due to weather, so if that is part of your equation of cruising and missing ports you need to take that into consideration.

That's really interesting and something I hadn't really considered. Do you know if it's common to miss all of the fiords? I'm fully aware of how common bad weather is down that way, but just how bad does it have to get before they cancel the visits. I've been to Milford in both rain and shine and loved it in both. As for the other fiords, they're on my 'to do' list.

Do you know if it's common to miss all of the fiords?

Its not all that common to miss all of the fiords, the weather just has to be really bad!.

I'm fully aware of how common bad weather is down that way, but just how bad does it have to get before they cancel the visits.

Very bad, its more to do with the winds.

Going around NZ and doing the islands, both have the same chance of Ports been missed, although when you do the islands, you have more chance of missing Ports as most of the islands you have to Anchor at (bar 3 islands: Vila, Noumea & Luganville where you can dock), unlike when you go around NZ, most of the Ports you go to you dock (apart from if you go the Bay of Islands)

I guess I just assumed that port cancellations are higher in the Pacific Islands because they have a cyclone season. The summer months of NZ are generally our driest and at the worst, we usually just get a bit of heavy rain (touch wood). However, if I'm missing other reasons why ships might miss ports in NZ, please fill me in.

If you don't want to miss a Port, then cruising maybe is not for you and you should cancel and book a land base holiday.

I love land based holidays, but I also love cruising. I have cruised twice before, once on the Costa Victoria in the Eastern Med and the other was the Victoria Anna on the Yangtze River and they were two of the most wonderful holidays I've ever had. My bucket list includes a fair few other cruises around the world - some for the ships and some for the destinations. But in this case, I think I would be picking the Pearl mainly for the ports and the Diamond Princess for the boat. Here in part lies my quandry.

I'm starting to think that if I pick the Diamond for it's ship, I am unlikely to be disappointed. However, If I pick the Pearl for it's ports, I am taking a gamble. Hmm decisions...

Hi OskarNZ,

Have not yet sailed on Pacific Pearl, however I am looking forward to doing so in June. I tend to take reviews of ships with a pinch of salt, the reviewer may have different expectations or perceptions to me and I may like/dislike different things to them. Remember that Pacific Pearl is still settling in to the Australian/NZ market and this will take a few cruises.

As for ports, well no one ship or another is more or less likely to go into the ports down here, so if Pacific Pearl misses it is a fair bet that any of the others cruising here would miss too.

Hope that helps, but I would say go for it!

Thanks Kiwi Cruiser for your answer to the fiord question. Very helpful :)

Any questions I am happy to answer.

Sheep, I hope you don't regret asking this question as I have so many questions. lol :D

One thing I really don't like on cruises is when certain areas become so crowded (e.g the pool, theatre, restaurants etc) you have to get there ages in advance just to get a half-way decent seat. How are the Pearl and Diamond for this? I know the Diamond has more pools and restaurants, so does this make them less crowded? Or is this just cancelled out due to the fact that there are more people on board?

How do the gyms compare on each ship? I've heard that the Pearl one has no windows. Is this correct?

Does anytime dining work well on the Diamond, or do you still need to make reservations?

Is the daytime entertainment similar? While I'm quite young, I do love things such as pub quizzes, cooking demonstrations and port lectures and am hoping both offer some of these types of activities. Also, are the movies they show on the big screen fairly recent?

What is the main age and nationality demographic on each ship. I love meeting people of many different cultures and would prefer if there were some families and couples in their 20s - 40s.

DO both/either of the ships offer drink packages, and if so roughly how much are they?

I have heaps more questions, but should perhaps stop at that. Anything you could tell me would be great.

Cheers

Hi OskarNZ,

I haven't been on Pacific Pearl yet although we are planning to go in 2012 because I want to experience this lovely ship and she has a cruise with Pentecost in the itinerary. :)

I would agree that it's hard to compare the different lines as they offer different things and hence appeal to different tastes.

I think that the pluses for choosing P&O would be the non-stop entertainment and activities, the fantastic kid's clubs and relaxed atmosphere. This tends to attract a younger demographic and families. It all depends on what you want from your holiday.

I wouldn't say no to any cruise though:cool:

Jenny

One thing I really don't like on cruises is when certain areas become so crowded (e.g the pool, theatre, restaurants etc) you have to get there ages in advance just to get a half-way decent seat. How are the Pearl and Diamond for this? I know the Diamond has more pools and restaurants, so does this make them less crowded? Or is this just cancelled out due to the fact that there are more people on board?

How do the gyms compare on each ship? I've heard that the Pearl one has no windows. Is this correct?

Does anytime dining work well on the Diamond, or do you still need to make reservations?

Is the daytime entertainment similar? While I'm quite young, I do love things such as pub quizzes, cooking demonstrations and port lectures and am hoping both offer some of these types of activities. Also, are the movies they show on the big screen fairly recent?

What is the main age and nationality demographic on each ship. I love meeting people of many different cultures and would prefer if there were some families and couples in their 20s - 40s.

DO both/either of the ships offer drink packages, and if so roughly how much are they?

I have heaps more questions, but should perhaps stop at that. Anything you could tell me would be great.

Cheers

If you enjoy meeting , and want to meet folk from all around the world.....

its definitely Diamond Princess.

I guess I just assumed that port cancellations are higher in the Pacific Islands because they have a cyclone season.

Not just because of cyclone season, due to winter / summer storms and big seas etc…

The summer months of NZ are generally our driest and at the worst, we usually just get a bit of heavy rain (touch wood). However, if I'm missing other reasons why ships might miss ports in NZ, please fill me in.

They mostly miss ports in NZ due to high winds / big seas e.g.: last week the Pacific Jewel missed Dunedin due to high winds, a few weeks back the Dawn Princess missed Napier I think to due to high winds, Last year or the year before the Pacific Dawn missed Napier due to a Tsunami warning etc…

I've heard that the Pearl one has no windows. Is this correct?

Yep, have looks here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=27434957&postcount=34 at photo 3.

Is the daytime entertainment similar?

NO!, I cant comment on the Diamond Princess, but I have been on the Sun Princess (& I have sailed on the Pacific Sun / Pacific Star), and a lot of the daytime entertainment was on at the same time as each other, so you almost had to split your self in two if you wanted to do something that was on the same time or quickly go between two things.

At lest with P&O the daytime entertainment is more spread out & a lot more to do (if you wanted to do them)

At lest Princess & P&O aren’t as bad as Holland America Volendam, when there is a lot of entertainment and then there was northing to do in the afternoon!

While I'm quite young, I do love things such as pub quizzes, cooking demonstrations and port lectures and am hoping both offer some of these types of activities. Also, are the movies they show on the big screen fairly recent?

On both P&O and Princess they do cooking demonstrations and port lectures, P&O do pub quizzes (Not too sure about Princess), and yes the movies they show on the big screen are fairly recent (but not brand new)

It really depends on when you sail, and for how long, on P&O you can expect a lot Australasian and a few kiwis etc… not too sure about the Diamond Princess, sorry.

Princess do drink packages (e.g.: soft drink etc...) but I cant comment on P&O as I have not done a P&O cruise since Dec 2009 / Jan 2010.

Hmmm, that's food for thought. What about the Australia ports (Hobart and Melbourne)? Is it common to miss those? Being a kiwi, it's the Aussie ports that interest me most.

Not so much (We have missed Townsville, due to the seas, once), but it really depends on the weather.

Like for Cairns, Port Douglas (sometime they run buses from Cairns), Whitsundays & Townsville you could miss as they are all Anchor Ports (apart for the Pacific Sun, which can get in to Cairns, but many of the other P&O & Princess ships cant).

It all really depends on the weather.

We are coming up for 6th Au/NZ cruise and we have never missed a port ...yet.:D

It has to be really bad for a ship to miss a port

as the cruise lines have to pay a hefty ...

NON REFUNDABLE..

deposit to the port to hold and prepare that berth for them.

Archived