Diamond Princess Gratuities

barnsey1802

Hi Guys,

We are lucky enough to be sailing on the Diamond Princess later this year, and while I know the Dawn, Sun & Sea Princess ships will be removing their gratuities this may, I was wondering if this will also apply to the Diamond while she is in Australia?:):)

And while I really don't want to start yet another discussion on tips( it's been done enough). Has anyone that has been on the Diamond removed their gratuities, and if so was there any problems doing so?

Thanks

Deidre.

P.S. I checked my cruise personalizer today for our Pacific Pearl cruise in April and have been granted an Upgrade. I have gone from deck 9 outside

obstructed view to deck 8 with no obstruction.

Hi Guys,

We are lucky enough to be sailing on the Diamond Princess later this year, and while I know the Dawn, Sun & Sea Princess ships will be removing their gratuities this may, I was wondering if this will also apply to the Diamond while she is in Australia?:):)

And while I really don't want to start yet another discussion on tips( it's been done enough). Has anyone that has been on the Diamond removed their gratuities, and if so was there any problems doing so?

Thanks

Deidre.

P.S. I checked my cruise personalizer today for our Pacific Pearl cruise in April and have been granted an Upgrade. I have gone from deck 9 outside

obstructed view to deck 8 with no obstruction.

BARNSEY 1802, don't take offence at my reply : To my knowledge, auto tips are still applicable on Diamond Princess. As for removing them, well another storm could occur here as on the Princess thread and we don't want that. All I can say is if you remove or lower your auto tips, any cash tips you give to your cabin steward/dining room waiter(s) are required to be 'handed in.'

Crikey, don't ask this question on the Princess board, our friends from the 'Land of Tipping' will hammer you. LOL.

You will need to contact the Pursers office and fill in a form to reduce or remove the "hotel charge" from your account in which you will be asked for the reasons behind your decision.

Thanks for that, I havent decided what I am going to do yet, I just wanted to know the drill.

Deidre

Yes.

OK...

My thoughts for what they are worth....:D

Anytime is great and you will have different Restaurants and different servers , each night.

The automatic charge removes all worry, so

When in Rome , do as the Romans do.

We used to remove it, but decided it was not worth the hassle , so we now just budget it into our on board costs ,

and then get on with enjoying the cruise.

I think it is helpful to call this charge exactly what it is...a "hotel charge" it forms part of the crews pay structure. It is not a "tip" in the way that we understand tips...hence the confusion amongst many first time cruisers. Lucky you asked the question over here we generally "don't bite".

Personally I am glad that this "hotel charge" is being included in the fare on the aussie based ships. Fairer for the staff and less hassle for us.:)

I think it is helpful to call this charge exactly what it is...a "hotel charge" it forms part of the crews pay structure. It is not a "tip" in the way that we understand tips...hence the confusion amongst many first time cruisers. Lucky you asked the question over here we generally "don't bite".

Personally I am glad that this "hotel charge" is being included in the fare on the aussie based ships. Fairer for the staff and less hassle for us.:)

I agree re: the hotel charge being included in the fare. If the $546 had been added to my fare I wouldn't have noticed it so much. I think like you say especially for first time cruises, they don't factor in the hotel charge in.

Deidre:D

I'm surprised the US tipping brigade haven't found this thread yet! LOL :p

Can't wait to meet you (and Fiona) in April Deidre! I just paid....wonder if I'll get an upgrade too :D I'm currently in a Deck 9 window obstructed too :)

Archived