Downtown Nassau Fire

bajathree

Looking down through the pictures at the bottom, there appears to be a Disney ship pretty close to the fire.

Our hearts go out to the folks that work in that area! Hopefully they will recover quickly. It certainly will affect the cruise ship visitors for the immediate future. This is far bigger than the Straw Market fire and they are just completing the construction of its replacement.

I see Cruise Critic just posted on their facebook page about a fire in the port area of Nassau. Since its a regular RCI stop for many ships, I thought I'd start a discussion here. I haven't heard any details. I hope it isn't in the straw market area. That place scares me because of the tight quarters and too many people. I won't go in there, but my wife loves the place. I remember thinking a fire marshall in the US wouldn't allow this place to even exist. But that is preliminary, I hope it is some largely unoccupied warehouse that is insured. I'll be in Nassau for the 4th time on my 30th anniversary, May 2nd, I was planning on staying on the ship that day anyway, but I hope it doesn't affect the port in a more serious way that won't be fixed by then. Just wondering at this point.

Bill, The area that burned is at the opposite end of the port from the straw market. If you go out to the main street, the fire appears to be several blocks left of the government building. Most of the store fronts down there were empty when we were there in October. There were only a few that were open, including the Bacardi store which was in the block that burned.

Fires aren't new to Nassau...the old original straw market was destroyed by fire back in 2001....and in 2006 the Dunkin Doughnuts burnt down. The new straw market was never built, it's still housed in the temporary building/tent....and the Dunkin Doughnuts took 3 years to finally rebuild.

Fires aren't new to Nassau...the old original straw market was destroyed by fire back in 2001....and in 2006 the Dunkin Doughnuts burnt down. The new straw market was never built, it's still housed in the temporary building/tent....and the Dunkin Doughnuts took 3 years to finally rebuild.

The new Straw Market is being rebuilt and is near completion. Here is old information on it: http://www.bahamas.com/news-announcement/2009/12/straw-market-building-return-nassau

We have seen great progress in recent visits. It is a vast improvement over the structure that burned down.

Yes..

and, the Bacardi Rum building survived intact.

I always loved stopping there..

And, always walked away with rum and, rum cakes... :p

to bring home with me...

Not according to the Tribune, "2:45pm - Police estimate the entire block of buildings affected by the fire - including the Bacardi building and the Green Parrot Crew Pub - has been extensively damaged and is not salvageable."

See the complete article here: http://www.tribune242.com/news/02142011_downtownfire_news_pg2

Some of the pictures taken during the fire seem to show the building in good shape. We will have to wait and see.

I see Cruise Critic just posted on their facebook page about a fire in the port area of Nassau. Since its a regular RCI stop for many ships, I thought I'd start a discussion here. I haven't heard any details. I hope it isn't in the straw market area. That place scares me because of the tight quarters and too many people. I won't go in there, but my wife loves the place. I remember thinking a fire marshall in the US wouldn't allow this place to even exist. But that is preliminary, I hope it is some largely unoccupied warehouse that is insured. I'll be in Nassau for the 4th time on my 30th anniversary, May 2nd, I was planning on staying on the ship that day anyway, but I hope it doesn't affect the port in a more serious way that won't be fixed by then. Just wondering at this point.

As a retired Fire Chief (and former Fire Marshal) I couldn't agree more that the straw market is an area that I always found "wanting" in fire safety! I wonder if they installed fire sprinklers in the new market? Oh, please say yes! I may be back in Nassau next year!

Archived