Cruising in 2051

GrannyJ

Someone brought up the subject on another thread about what would cruising in 2051 be like. Here's what I think:

First of all, there will be only one cruise ship: Royal Caribbean's "The Giant Floating Continent of the Seas".

It'll be the size of New Jersey and will hold 175,000 passengers. Embarkation will take two-three days. It won't actually go anywhere....you'll get on one end in Miami and the other end is already docked in the Bahamas, so you have to take a train that runs along the promenade deck to get to Nassau (you can get off half-way there for the private island,though).

There will be 100 dining rooms, operating 24 hours a day, so you'd better get your reservations in early or you'll be eating lunch at 3:00 a.m. Or, if you prefer, you can just stay in your cabin (or...pods, as they will be called as they will average 15 sq. ft.) and your robo-steward will bring you some nutrition pills. No balconies...just a small opening porthole you can stick your head out. You don't even want to know what the bathroom facilities are.

No room for pool chaises or pool towels -- you'll be expected to stand in the sun (facing east in the morning and west in the afternoon if you want to tan) and jump up and down to dry off.

Entertainment? All hairiest-leg and biggest-belly contests, newly-wed games (provided there are any couples getting married by then), and karaoke nights will be on U-Tube. Gambling will be done "virtually" in your pod.

Kid's programs? Check 'em in and you might be lucky to get your own back. Most likely you'll get a couple of extras to take home.

Wow, I can't wait! I'll only be 104....maybe they'll have a Sexiest Great-Great-Great Grandmother Contest and I'll be on U-Tube!!!

OK, anyone else have any ideas?

Hmm I think I brought it up back in that other topic?

Not to be a skeptic, but space tourism on that degree just isn't happening within the next century at least. I see the future of tourism is the undersea world. So how about some cruise submarines!

That and even bigger ships. Natch.

Hmm I think I brought it up back in that other topic?

Not to be a skeptic, but space tourism on that degree just isn't happening within the next century at least. I see the future of tourism is the undersea world. So how about some cruise submarines!

That and even bigger ships. Natch.

I don't think people are taking this space flight comment seriously, at least I wasn't. It's called being tongue in cheek.

If this question had been asked 40 years ago, what would people have said?

Which brings us back to a question I've been asking for a while now... "Where are our jet packs???!!!" ;)

Well, we wouldn't need jet packs if we had BEAMING!!

• 3 months later...

GrannyJ,

I noticed you were on the same cruise as me (Majesty, 5/31/04) and I have been posting all over the place trying to see if anyone has a copy of that cruise-in-review DVD, as I am offering a $50 for a copy because I lost mine. So I figured I would ask in hopes that you might have one or know someone who does, please let me know, thanks!

Someone brought up the subject on another thread about what would cruising in 2051 be like. Here's what I think:

First of all, there will be only one cruise ship: Royal Caribbean's "The Giant Floating Continent of the Seas".

It'll be the size of New Jersey and will hold 175,000 passengers. Embarkation will take two-three days. It won't actually go anywhere....you'll get on one end in Miami and the other end is already docked in the Bahamas, so you have to take a train that runs along the promenade deck to get to Nassau (you can get off half-way there for the private island,though).

There will be 100 dining rooms, operating 24 hours a day, so you'd better get your reservations in early or you'll be eating lunch at 3:00 a.m. Or, if you prefer, you can just stay in your cabin (or...pods, as they will be called as they will average 15 sq. ft.) and your robo-steward will bring you some nutrition pills. No balconies...just a small opening porthole you can stick your head out. You don't even want to know what the bathroom facilities are.

No room for pool chaises or pool towels -- you'll be expected to stand in the sun (facing east in the morning and west in the afternoon if you want to tan) and jump up and down to dry off.

Entertainment? All hairiest-leg and biggest-belly contests, newly-wed games (provided there are any couples getting married by then), and karaoke nights will be on U-Tube. Gambling will be done "virtually" in your pod.

Kid's programs? Check 'em in and you might be lucky to get your own back. Most likely you'll get a couple of extras to take home.

Wow, I can't wait! I'll only be 104....maybe they'll have a Sexiest Great-Great-Great Grandmother Contest and I'll be on U-Tube!!!

OK, anyone else have any ideas?

:p Too funny. I read this to DH. Thanks for the good laugh.

Cute thread! :p

My thought is that, in addition to the train running the length of the promenade, there will be both horizontal and vertical "people movers" to get pax from one place to another onboard. After all, with over 100 dining options, we certainly can't expect anyone to be walking for exercise, can we? :rolleyes:;)

On a more serious, and perhaps sombre, note, in forty years, given the direction our respective economies are going, I would expect the ships to be staffed with North American crews catering to passengers predominately from Asia.

And the cruise ships will be owned by the Chinese.

We won't need to cruise at all. Holnard Carnivbbean (yes, I spelled that right) will sell virtual cruises. All you'll need to do is to log in on your implant and there you are, excursions, pool, spa, and all. For an extra fee, you can even gain weight in the process. And it will all be time-accelerated so that you can do a round-the-world on a weekend.

Archived