Fan needed for sleeping!

kking206

Dont count on borrowing one. I have a fan that has went on all cruise ships/lines I have gone on. It is a turbo blizzard so a small table top fan but makes the best small fan sleeping noise. I also have one that folds flat and can be battery or charged thru an adapter for camping etc. Its sad that fan takes up alot of my carryon rrom but I do take it in my carry on because without it , I cant sleep :)

taking a cruise in April, on the Freedom.

I need a fan to sleep though, do you think I could bring one on? anyone ever done this? do they have a fan onboard maybe that I could borrow?

Maybe hang a pinwheel from the vent on the ceiling. It will probably make the same noise with the airflow.

I don't care about the "noise" from the fan...it's the AIR BLOWING on me that I need....hotflashes and all that!

Right now, I'm trying to find a travel fan (electric) for an upcoming trip to San Diego and Vegas.....lightweight, but powerful! My tabletop "vornado" is too bulky.

I don't care about the "noise" from the fan...it's the AIR BLOWING on me that I need....hotflashes and all that!

Right now, I'm trying to find a travel fan (electric) for an upcoming trip to San Diego and Vegas.....lightweight, but powerful! My tabletop "vornado" is too bulky.

Camping department at your favorite store.

If you are looking for just the sound of the fan, try a white noise machine. I use one all the time and travel with it everywhere I go, just Google, Sound Scape Sleep Mate and you should find one.

I was going to suggest grapes, 5 georgous guys, and a giant Palm Frond but I think your idea is cheaper. That is a good idea and I have heard the white noise gadgets work well. May have to pick one up myself.

I was going to suggest grapes, 5 georgous guys, and a giant Palm Frond but I think your idea is cheaper. That is a good idea and I have heard the white noise gadgets work well. May have to pick one up myself.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, I love this idea!:D

Too bad the fan is cheaper!;)

I need a fan to sleep though, do you think I could bring one on? anyone ever done this? do they have a fan onboard maybe that I could borrow?

When we went on our cruise in November they took our fans from us and didn't give them back till Saturday Morning ( this was New Orleans):(. When we went on our cruise in January on the Dream I had a fan that ran on batteries and had no problem what so ever. I did take the power cord to it if I needed it but I had placed new batteries in the fan right before we left on our cruise and I noticed the last night that the fan was losing some of it power. Hope this helped.

Don't forget a decent length power strip also. There is only one easily accessible outlet in the rooms. It it closer to the front and above the dresser/desk in our experience (mostly balcony rooms). The longer the cord, the more you can manipulate it so that you don't trip over it if you need to get up in the middle of the night.

As I have stated on previous posts, you can also use the outlet that the TV plugs into at night. We have done that for a white noise machine, when we had my CPAP and cell phones plugged into the power strip. Although I have heard that many ships now have flat screens, we have never experieince a cruise with a flat screen TV. So, getting behind the older televisions does require a little dexterity and some patience, This is something that Mrs Cbmcruiser will tell you I am short on :o

Carnival may take your electric fan from you. I think you should take a battery fan. I bought mine at a drug store and it is light weight.

Carnival doesn't like people using their electricity. They do take away extension cords because I have been to the naughty room where I looked in the box and saw the extension cords and beautiful bottles of FINE LIQUOR.

I packed carbonated water and they thought I had vodca in the bottles.

I plan to test it by taking my battery fan with me on my next Carnival cruise. I also need to have air blowing in my face too. Lucy R.

I have a small battery-operated fan that I take. I also bring two spare batteries. I put the fan in my carry-on luggage at the cruise terminal. I'm always afraid if I put it in my checked luggage, it will cause my luggage to be inspected and I don't want them to find my smuggled wine. Just sayin...

I think the OP wants the air flow...

But for those reading this thread who just need the noise, I use a white noise app on my iPhone. (My phone stays on airplane mode all week). Me and Hubby both need the sound of the fan to fall asleep and the white noise app works great!

Just got off the Ecstasy last week....while waiting in line for customs, I passed a lady who had one of those tall stand fans with the big round base....she had taken it apart and used the cord to secure both pieces to her luggage:eek:......while I like the air blowing/noise part of a fan and sleep with one at home, i just couldn't believe she had managed to get that big of a fan on board the ship! LOL......and I was wondering where in the cabin she put it!

I took my electric fan and my battery operated fan on the Liberty. I was able to get through with both. I think I only used the battery operated one...of course it also plugs in! Its the one I will take this time...I will take batteries for show. I put my extension cord in with my nebulizer and no one asks me about it. I have heard that they have taken fans on other cruises but so far I have been lucky.

According to Carnival rules, Electric Fans are not on the "prohibited" or "confiscated" lists. However the rules do state that "fans may be confiscated if they are deemed to be a safety hazard".

So basically you are at the mercy of whoever is checking the luggage and what kind of mood they are in. Just another instance of Carnival being fuzzy on the rules. They have so much trouble commiting to black and white rules, always grey areas that are open to interpretation by Carnival staff. What works at one port, won't work at another.

I asked my PVP about bringing an electric fan for my room and his statement was, "I suggest you buy a new fan and keep it in the box, then pray that whoever checks your bags isn't in a bad mood. Good luck!"

I love Carnival, but this kind of reaction to the rules by a Carnival employee clearly states that they some serious issues that only lead to irritating the customer, Us!

According to Carnival rules, Electric Fans are not on the "prohibited" or "confiscated" lists. However the rules do state that "fans may be confiscated if they are deemed to be a safety hazard".

So basically you are at the mercy of whoever is checking the luggage and what kind of mood they are in. Just another instance of Carnival being fuzzy on the rules. They have so much trouble commiting to black and white rules, always grey areas that are open to interpretation by Carnival staff. What works at one port, won't work at another.

What's fuzzy about that? Fans are allowed unless they think the fan is a safety hazard. Ever see a frayed cord? Maybe a very old fan with a motor that would draw too much power? Should they instead have a fan size limit? I could see people trying to check huge box fans as luggage.

Archived