Tips or no tips?

AWCHIEF

i will never be convinced that there is any " list " anywhere for ship employees to see that has any names of passengers that remove tips. cruiselines would never post something like this because they will never risk the possibility of crew members treating passengers badly because of this and possibly losing business. it is ridiculous to believe that such a list exists.

the list Fred noticed on his galley tour that had all the names of the pax who has removed auto tips...of course it was a list of names from the previous cruise...

IMHO..I think this list it put up in the Galley so the food staff can see which waiters lost their tips...possibly due to kitchen inefficiency:rolleyes:

Just sayin' because the pax from the last cruise have nothing to do with current pax...unless of course the same waiters..and their subsequent kitchen backup...keep on getting their tips pulled.

No it was his swine flu cruise on the Splendor.........the one that went up north and people demanded to stop in Long Beach on the way so they could get off........basically half the ship....this was a one time thing and a learning lesson for Carnival I might add.....

No it was his swine flu cruise on the Splendor.........the one that went up north and people demanded to stop in Long Beach on the way so they could get off........basically half the ship....this was a one time thing and a learning lesson for Carnival I might add.....

I thought that the posters were in general agreement that it was a list from a previous cruise...didn't someone actually notice the cruise date on it somewhere? I know the thread was poofed, right?

anyway...if there was such a list..and it was the current cruise....it would most certainly not be completely accurate...as some may have pulled their tips on the last night...and not during the cruise...

doesn't really matter..because it is just stupid to even suggest pulling tips....but I most certainly do believe that there is a list of pax who pull the tips during the cruise...that is just good business on the part of CCL...who know...to try and understand what the problem really comes down to...the ship..the pax..or the crew

This is what John Heald said on facebook about carnival keeping tips.:mad:

John Heald

I just got a scathing comment stating that there is a story on another site ( doesnt say which one ) that states that Carnival takes a percentage of the tips you all give bthe crew. I want to nip this in the bud now and promise that this is absolutley not true. The end.

This is what John Heald said on facebook about carnival keeping tips.:mad:

John Heald

I just got a scathing comment stating that there is a story on another site ( doesnt say which one ) that states that Carnival takes a percentage of the tips you all give bthe crew. I want to nip this in the bud now and promise that this is absolutley not true. The end.

And? Do you think he's lying? If so, why?

No I don't think he is lying. Why would you think that is what I meant. This place tends to look for negitive views. I let John know last night what was being said about him on here and I didn't like it one bit.

Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm with you... John is in the "know" about everything, so why would people here or otherwise disbelieve him? If anything he makes up for some of the "lack of service" you get from Carnival in other areas.

Someone has already posted on his facebook about being denied boarding on her cruise because of a bad birth certificate.... sounds very fishy. What's John supposed to do... quote the Homeland Security laws to her?

I have a question on the auto tip thing... what about kids.. do you think you should leave the autotip on for kids too?

Yes. It's per person. Kids sleep in the beds, use the bathroom, eat at the dining venues and make just as much mess, if not more than adults.

i will never be convinced that there is any " list " anywhere for ship employees to see that has any names of passengers that remove tips. cruiselines would never post something like this because they will never risk the possibility of crew members treating passengers badly because of this and possibly losing business. it is ridiculous to believe that such a list exists.

A picture of the list was posted on here that a member took while back on a behind the scenes tour. They do exist.

This whole tipping issue stir alot of debate in many circles. I would like to know why its already been stated by Carnival there will be no tips on the cruises running out of Australia.

As someone stated tipping is mostly done in the states and in Canada to a lesser degree. I do find it interesting when I have done trip to the Orient where its mostly the American who tip, tour guides now expect it of us and some ask for it up front.

So we all tip on cruises out of the states and I tipped on a Med cruise, but what about other parts of the world where tipping is not the norm? Or do I only tip on ships that are for Americans and not the lines that cater to non Americans?

On my last cruise I was in Grand Turks and struck up a conversation with a family that was on a different Carnival cruise ship docked with ours. They were talking about their trip and how when they got back to their rooms on the second day of the cruise (this was a five day cruise) they cancelled their auto tips. I asked them if they had had bad service and he hesitated and said "a couple times." Now, the first day you board halfway into the day, and he had told me they had spent the 2nd day in the Bahamas. Which means they hadn't been on the ship hardly at all in that 24 hours or so since they boarded, so that is just BS. They guy was just cheap and didn't want to pay the tips, and didn't care what crew members he screwed over in the process.

maybe this will help but you did say never...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=979991&highlight=posted+tip+list

Bill

John seem to enjoy

making CC look like the home of every moron and jerk who has access to a computer.

I don't think those posters need any help from him. These tipping threads go no where. You can't start a thread with curse words. CC lets them run for hits, not for enlightenment.

Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm with you... John is in the "know" about everything, so why would people here or otherwise disbelieve him? If anything he makes up for some of the "lack of service" you get from Carnival in other areas.

Someone has already posted on his facebook about being denied boarding on her cruise because of a bad birth certificate.... sounds very fishy. What's John supposed to do... quote the Homeland Security laws to her?

John is a CC employee. If someone thinks he is a liar, they shouldn't be cruising Carnival. I know I wouldn't if that was what I believed. If you think he is misleading you on that, what about what he might say about food safety? These people who make up a rumor in their head and post it here need to get a life.

I have a question on the auto tip thing... what about kids.. do you think you should leave the autotip on for kids too?

Age 2 and up you tip $10pp per day. They do not auto tip for under 2s. However, I know my kids make far more of a mess than I do, so I tip extra for the kids LOL We also tip Camp Carnival.

There is no valid reason at all for NOT tipping at least the minimum...not on a Carnival ship or other reputable cruise line. None.

Then at this point it ceases to be a tip. It becomes a service charge. IE: the term "service charge".

Don't get me wrong, I tip well, but if you call a pig a horse, it's still a pig.

Archived