How old was your child the first time cruising?

Peace2U

Our son was 2 months old when he first sailed. Not sure how we did that because it seems like most cruise lines don't accept babies younger than 6 months. We also had our older son with us and he was 2 years old at the time. It was not so bad. My husband was on the cruise for a conference so I had the two kids by myself most of the time. We went to the play group every morning (Royal Caribbean) and walked a lot.

We are about to take our second cruise as a family...this time we have 4 kids! They are 7, 5, 2 and 10 months old. It should be an adventure! :)

Another 2-monther here too. Actually, I think it was 14 weeks maybe. Disney, of course, because we get a reaaaaaaally good deal sometimes. And it was a short 4 days cruise. Totally doable.

And yes, this was before there was the infant cruise restrictions.

CeleBrat

• 2 weeks later...

My son turned 3 months old on his first cruise, it was on Royal Caribbean, and, at that time, they accepted 12 weeks and up, but later changed it to 6 months (which is now every cruise line but Disney, I believe). My daughter's first cruise was at 9 months. Every vacation we take is a cruise, because the kids hate being in the car, and we won't even try to take them on planes- and we live in NY near several cruise terminals. My kids are now 3.5 and 1.5 and in May (just before my son turns 4) he will be going on his 8th cruise and my daughter on her 4th. My son is old enough now that he's always mentioning things from both of his last 2 cruises (which floor things were on and such- he loves elevators), and asks to go to the ship all the time.

Our son was 8 months old when we went on our first cruise Royal Caribbean, On our second cruise, our eldest was 6 1/2 and our youngest was 14 months. He learned to walk on that cruise. He really enjoy on ship and love it.

I will join this discussion. First cruise for DD was 2 months prior to her 5th birthday. She has two cruises under her already. Our next cruise is coming up in July and then I have to decide to go on HAL during New Years or try Allure of the Seas later in January. Never been on a RCI cruise ship, don't know what to expect. Only know HAL, Carnival, and Celebrity. DD only has been on HAL.

When the cruises end she always asks when our next cruise is. So I think I have created a monster. She gets upset when we go to a land based hotel. Because I am a single father I have to take her to medical conferences from time to time. During these trips she wonders why we can't go on a ship instead.

When I first cruised I was a year older than DD. It was on the old Noordam out of Alcapoco in 1985.

I am a long time cruiser but we have never cruised with our new baby yet. We are looking at going this Dec. When he will be 1.5 years old.

How did you parents with kids this age put them to sleep in the room and still be able to do things like dinner, TV, etc. Most babies go to sleep around 7ish so what do you do in the tiny tiny rooms to keep them asleep? I don't want to be hiding in the dark being quiet or spend all night on the balcony. We are very interested in your routines especially around the night time and dinner time.

Also what cruise lines you found were best for kids around this age group. Did anyone use baby sitting services ever?

Thanks in advance!

Our older daughter was 5 months on her first cruise. She is now almost 4 and has been on 6 cruises. Just got back from the first cruise with our younger daughter at 9 months. Both of their first cruises were on HAL.

My baby girl went on when she was 8months on a four day cruise just to see if she would like it. Well, she loved it so I booked another one for april this time Allure. She will be 11months at that time. SO EXCITED

We took our girls on their first cruise last year when the oldest was 5 and the youngest was 11 months (and had just learned to walk - that was fun!). Last month we celebrated her 2nd birthday on Disney, and thanks to ear infections that were diagnosed three days before we left, we had to cancel our flights and DRIVE 23 hours from Canada to Florida (yes, with a 2 YO and a 6 YO!!). They were awesome, on the drive and on the cruise, and after that experience, I feel like we can travel with them just about anywhere!

DD was 13 months on her first cruise (Carnival) and we had a great time!!!! :D

We had a suite so when she was going to sleep we would go hang out on the balcony while she went to sleep so the room was quiet for her. She loved exploring the ship!!!

Our Ergo really came in handy when touring the islands.

DD was 6 months on her first cruise. She'll be on her 5th this May at the age of 3. Can't say she really "loves to cruise." She would be happy to go anywhere with mom and dad at this point. However, I find it to be a pretty easy way to vacation with a young child. As she gets older I think we will transition to land based resorts which I like a bit better or maybe try some Alaskan/European cruises.

Archived