Just Curious...

Joe1028

Does anyone know how much of incentive or "percentage" does a private Travel Agent get? Is it different from Line to Line?

If you are talking about private agencies, they all work on commission which can vary depending on how much market share they may give to one vendor...or cruise line, whether there is a contract in effect with the suplliers. What those agents might make at a base salary would be at least the minimum wage. If their owners/bosses share commission with the agents is strictly up to them. Like any other business, employees are paid the gamut from minimum wage up.

As a retiree from the travel industry, an owner and manager for many years, I can just say that it is a notoriously low-paying job, very demanding and can be very stressful.

It takes years to train an agent to be a professional. If they stick around long enough and pay attention to their job, gaining experience, paying attention to their clients......they might hit 50 G's after 25 or 30 years.

When I first came into the business...it was as a volunteer...I worked for nothing...and had no contact with clients at all.....

When eventually I was hired, it was 1 year before I could make a reservation with an airline and another 6 months before I was allowed to write a ticket (no computerized agencies during those times).

When I became an owner, it was a full 2 years before a new employee was considered trained enough to work independently without supervision.

Of ourse, it's not like that today. Anyone can call themselves an "agent"...... without training, without ever having traveled or cruised, without knowing a thing about geography and who can't spell worth a darn.

Think of it this way.... You will spend more money with your travel agent than you will spend with your Physician. That agent should be required to know what she's doing....

Does anyone know how much of incentive or "percentage" does a private Travel Agent get? Is it different from Line to Line?

Can you let us know what you earn per year?

The real truth of the matter is that it really should not matter and is no one's business.

Can you let us know what you earn per year?

The real truth of the matter is that it really should not matter and is no one's business.

I'm retired and on a "fixed" income. I make about $35,000 a year with SS and pension. I also get a few bucks from a combat injury in Vietnam... anything else you need from me? Does this better "qualify" me to ask the question.

I wasn't asking any specific person what he/she makes as a travel agent, I was only curious as to how much can be made as a travel/cruise agent.

I'm retired and on a "fixed" income. I make about $35,000 a year with SS and pension. I also get a few bucks from a combat injury in Vietnam... anything else you need from me? Does this better "qualify" me to ask the question.

I wasn't asking any specific person what he/she makes as a travel agent, I was only curious as to how much can be made as a travel/cruise agent.

There is normally a 10-15% commission built into cruise pricing. If you don't use a TA, the cruise line keeps it for themselves.

Think of it this way.... You will spend more money with your travel agent than you will spend with your Physician. That agent should be required to know what she's doing....

You must have better insurance than I do. Or cheaper doctors. :D

Archived