Dinning Time help!

My husband and I are going on our first cruise on VOS in April. We are unsure of which dinning time to select!! We were originally thinking the early one then being able to go to the shows after but one of our port days we don't get back until 6... does that mean we would leave the port early to board the boat to eat? What are the advantages or disadvantages of eating at either choice? We are a young couple and aren't set on eating at the same time we do at home. Thanks!

There are advantages and disadvantages to both traditional dining times. You might want to consider My Time Dining which gives you more flexibility in choosing your dining times and the ability to dine at the same time or different times each evening. On days when the ship doesn't sail until later you won't have to rush back early to get to dinner. You can even choose dining times that will allow you to see or participate in the evening entertainment. We have frequently been able to get the same dining room staff to serve us every evening so that the servers become familiar with our particular food and beverage preferences. MTD is usually available from 5:30 pm until 9:30 pm and is held in one section of the main dining room. You can choose it prior to sailing or sign up once you are onboard. The only thing you cannot do is alternate between traditional and my time dining and you must prepay the gratuities that you will be paying anyway even with traditional dining

Obviously it's a personal thing, and there are benefits to either.

We prefer the early dining simply because we are used to eating earlier rather than later. You do have to be back on the ship of course, but that's usually not a problem as the ship usually departs from ports in the late afternoon anyway. We've never felt rushed to get back on the ship to make it to dinner. We've always felt like we had enough time in port.

When you say you don't get back until 6, are you referring to a tour, or just the time the ship leaves the port? If it's a tour, then maybe you could eat in one of the alternate dining places that evening. You asked if you could leave the port early...you can get back on the ship any time you want. If you are on a tour, I'm not sure if you'd be able to leave it early. That might be tricky.

Another thing we like about eating early is that it gives us a chance to grab a snack later in the evening, like after the show. We don't really like the idea of finishing up dinner around 9 or 10, but we do like to have a little snack.

They do the shows twice each evening, once for early diners, once for late diners, so that's really not an issue.

Again, this is just our preference and experience. I know others prefer the late seating, with just as valid reasons. Either way, you'll enjoy it!

If you don't like the idea of "my time" I'd say pick the later seating.

We're young too and we prefer late seating while in the Med or in Europe because we're out late in ports and like to stay really active.

However, when we cruise the Caribbean we tend to relax more and go at our own pace because we've been all over the ports before, therefore we eat early..

IMO if you plan on being really active in the ports, pick the later seating and the worst thing that could happen is you eat in a specialty restaurant one night or the WJ. If you want to take it easy and enjoy the ship more pick the early seating which leaves lots of time to do things after dinner..

We have always selected the late dining because we felt like we'd have to rush for the earlier seating. Before dinner I like to shower and take my time getting all dolled up. If I were to eat at the early seating, I would need to start around 4:30/5:00pm which would be too early for how we like to enjoy our vacation.

Typically, even if we get off at a port we will hang out in the Solarium or sit out on the balcony in the early evening. We also love to sit on the balcony and watch the ship pull away.

So, the extra time before dinner pays off for us.

Another factor to consider is that there generally are more kids around at early seating, and a somewhat more adult crowd at late seating. You should be aware, however, that seclecting a dining time in these days of alternate eating venues is not as big a deal as it used to be in the days when you had early, late and midnight buffet with no other alternatives -- in fact, even the Windjammer didn't use to be open at night. I would say pick the time that is nearest when you would eat at home, because if on a given night that puts you too early or late for other stuff you want to do, you can work around it with an alternate venue.

Our family has always found the late assigned seating in the main dining room to be perfect. It gives you more time in port, allows you more time to get ready once you return to the ship, and we often order a room service snack to tide us over until the seating. And you can still see the late shows so you don't miss any productions. Have fun!

we are a young cruising couple 24 and 25 and we have the late seating on a cruise because we can be certain we will be back on ship by then or at least ready. in saying that though you can always go to the buffet or order room service if you don't want to rush when you get back.

CK x

To the OP, I assume VOS means Voyager. Early dining has been 5:30 PM and late dining at 8 PM the last two years out of Galveston. If you have not yet chosen your dining time for an April cruise, you may find that the one you want is no longer available and you will be on a waitlist. If that is not acceptable to you, I highly recommend My Time Dining. It is the same dining room and same menu as traditional dining, but you can go at anytime you wish during evening dining room hours. No worries on seeing shows, as the same show is held twice each night, excepting the ice show which is usually shown 2 different afternoons and one night. You will have notification of what time the ship sails from each port and what time is the latest you can be on board.

At home we are early eaters. My first few cruises on RC we had early seating.

On our last cruise we were forced into late seating.

When we got back home I called and changed all of my future cruised to late seating.

So much better. And you can go to Tea Time for a snack. Tea Time is taco bar, burgers, dogs, and wonderful bread pudding.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived