sawyer glacier vs glacier bay, ncl jewel vs pearl

redhydra

Hi

with the intention of doeing a roundtrip alaska cruise from seatle with norwegian

there are two ships, the jewel who leave saturday and return saturday and go to sawyer glacier

and the pearl who leave port on sunday and come back on a sunday

the itinary are similar, exept the pearl go to glacier bay instead of sawyer

wich glacier do you think is better, and also, do you have a preference for jewel or pearl?? and why

thanks in advance for information

You've posted on the correct board - this is the Alaska board!

I think you'll find that almost 100% will tell you to do Glacier Bay vs. Tracy Arm (the twin Sawyer glaciers). Glacier Bay is a National Park - you will be cruising in the bay for about 8 hours and will see several glaciers plus all the othere scenery and the chance for seeing wildlife. Tracy Arm is a lovely fjord, with 2 glaciers at the end - but often there is too much ice in the water for you to get close to the glaciers.

Sawyer Glacier is not a guaranteed glacier viewing. As mentioned ice frequently blocks Tracy Arm, and even if you are able to get into the Arm (and that's an IF), you may not get to the end to see the glacier. Glacier Bay is almost always accessible, and is considered 1 of the 2 biggies for glacier viewing. It is the most fantastic, spectacular day possible. You don't want to miss a good view of a glacier when cruising Alaska.

Glacier bay!

As another poster said Sawyer / Tracy Arm is scenic cruising but getting close is hard only in the best of times. Glacier bay is a National park for a reason. Here is what you get as a difference for us at least.

Hi

with the intention of doeing a roundtrip alaska cruise from seatle with norwegian

there are two ships, the jewel who leave saturday and return saturday and go to sawyer glacier

and the pearl who leave port on sunday and come back on a sunday

the itinary are similar, exept the pearl go to glacier bay instead of sawyer

wich glacier do you think is better, and also, do you have a preference for jewel or pearl?? and why

thanks in advance for information

1542462645_316AscloseaswecantoSawyerGlacier.jpg.efd61ad163a938f233faaf10c6adc4f3.jpg

2000_09b.jpg.06b65b16d77621d8018e0ab4b526fd65.jpg

There is also a boatload of detailed information, if you use this board's search information.

IF GLACIERS are indeed your priority, then the only answer is Glacier Bay. Tracy Arm is not about glaciers. It is intense scenic sailing. BUT, FAR superior is the costly add on ship excursion boat tour, which I recommend as "necessary".

It also depends when you transit Tracy Arm, consider cruises in June and later for more likely access.

IF you look closer, there probably are "differences" in the itineraries, that may be significant. Look at times in port, and determine what you wish to occupy your time with.

thanks you very much for your information

i saw a topic in another cruise site discussion board talking about sawyer and glacier bay and they pretty much said the same than you people

so i think ill take glacier bay, especially since one of my reason to cruise there is to photograph them

thanks you very much for your information

i saw a topic in another cruise site discussion board talking about sawyer and glacier bay and they pretty much said the same than you people

so i think ill take glacier bay, especially since one of my reason to cruise there is to photograph them

Good choice if you want glacier viewing.

Archived